ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Value of Stevens Model 94C
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You are probably right. I think I like a gun until I get it. Then I put it in the safe and usually never see it again.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:37 am 
Presentation Grade

evbutler,

Don't let vette tell ya what to do.
Regardless of what it is, as long as you enjoy it, its worth it.
Sounds like you got a couple of nice guns.
Take 'em out and shoot 'em. You'll have fun. =)

Dean

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:53 am 
Presentation Grade

evbutler wrote:
I ran across a Stevens 94 in 20 gauge this afternoon at a local pawn shop. It looked like it had never been shot, great looking gun. The shop had a hang tag on it for $99. I got him down to $75 and have a new addition. He also had a 20 gauge Topper youth model for $95, in at least 90% condition. I offered him $150 for the pair. They followed me home.

I recently sold all my guns except a few favorites. It appears that I will be starting all over again. I just can't pass up a good buy. I will probably never shoot these guns but my sons will have something to fuss over when I pass on to my reward.

Evan,
I would have brought them home also. We like what we like for various reasons and I typically won't pass-up giving a $75.00 break-open single shot a place to stay. I have several Stevens 94s, H&Rs, Cooey and Iver Johnson Champions in various gauges, none are probably worth more than $100.00 each but I like them. They are my favorite squirrel gun, walk around gun and farm gun. I've worked with tools most of my life in construction and I like the feel and simplicity of a tool that functions at the basic level and performs it's purpose with reliability and longevity. This is OK for some folks but it's not for everyone.
Good find for you and your sons and hopefully my son and grandsons will enjoy what little I can leave them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone - my post is quite late by several years but I'm hoping some find it useful and perhaps someone can respond to my comment since the build dates reported for the 94C (no hyphen) do not correspond with my actual experience.

On my 12th birthday in October 1968 my mother gave me $20 so that I could buy my first shotgun. My next neighbor's dad was an avid hunter and I had been hunting with him and his son that was my age, several years already. My own step dad was not a hunter. That is why my mom entrusted the purchase to my neighbor.

We went to the gun shop together and I believe several things may have happened beyond my 12yr old ability to sniff out. We looked at the rack of used shotguns and after pulling several and checking them over my neighbor's dad handed the 12g Stevens to me and we walked up to the counter. I can tell you one thing - the gun was much older than the late 50s or early 60s but the day I was buying it.

The gun has 28" barrel and solid walnut stock and foregrip - plain, not checkered. The left side barrel at breach is stamped exactly as listed above "Selected Forged Steel" etc and left side of breach or chamber says "STEVENS" alone on top line and under it "SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION, CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A."

There is one other stamp, left side, back right corner near stock "25J" with an oval around it. When the gun is broken down the barrel has other markings under the foregrip:
"SP" with oval stamped around it on back left of foregrip mount and on bottom of barrel directly under foregrip "KP" with a "J" under it and off to the side, rotated 90° is what appears to be a hand made stamp "B" Inside the breach on on butt section is stamped "KP" and the same odd sideways "B" which looks like an "M" that is underlined.

I find no serial number or other stamps or marks.

I had not touched the gun in literally 35 - 40 years. Left it in the gun case bought for me 6 years later by my future wife on my 18th birthday and stored in the closet all these years, never one pulling it out to check, clean or oil it, not once.

Tonight for this discussion I removed the gun, dissembled it, cleaned and oiled it very lightly, wiping any excess oil off. I did not clean inside the barrel since it was mirror smooth and no rust of any kind. The outer surfaces were equally perfect but I gave it the attention deserved. 35-40 yrs guys... w/o one second of attention. See if your new cheapies will do that for you in 4 decades.

Since that 12th bday I bought many shotguns and when older, sold all but one because I stopped hunting - kept this one for the right reasons. My mom bought it for me on my 12th birthday. If need be I'll use it for self defense. The only shells I have are 35-40 years old - buck shot and pumpkin balls and rifle slugs - are they still good?

Obviously the gun was built after Savage bought Stevens because the gun is stamped "SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION" but the gun truly looked antique the day I bought it in 1968 - any chance it is older than late 60s? Sure looked a good 50 years old or more when I bought it.

As for the unknowns the day or purchase - was the gun more than $20 and either my neighbor or the gunsmith paid the difference? I remember the gun was listed for more than $20 but I dont remember the list price. Either the gunsmith was kind to the 12yr old on his birthday and/or my neighbor helped pay for the gun. Priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 am 
Presentation Grade

The old ammo should be ok to shoot.
Inspect the shells and if you see any corrosion, dump it.
Otherwise, you should be good.
I've got factory rounds here going back to the 50's and I wouldn't think twice about shooting any of it.
Stevens-Savage never put serials on the 94's, so dating them can be tough.
I do know production of that shotgun started around 1929, so there's a very real chance that the gun would seem "old" to a 12 year old in 1968.
...btw, what about the gun gave you the impression it was "old" at the time you got it?

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm 
Utility Grade

thx Dean - appreciate the suggestions on the old shells. I thought the gun was old when I was 12 because i had been around plenty of shotguns before the day we bought it and compared to what i was used to, this one looked old. the wood was darker, the metal was darker, it had the antique well used used look about it. it looks old today too. if i had a good camera i'd add some photos here but the only camera i have is a wide angle and it wouldnt do. thx again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for expanding a bit on why you thought the gun was old when you got it.

As for pics, I took this pic with a 10 year old Nikon point-and-shoot....

Not the greatest, but good enough for government work.
So go ahead and take a couple of pics and post 'em.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing your gun. =)

Dean

Last edited by DeanMk on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 am 
Utility Grade

let me see what i can do - thx Dean - the photos do add to the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great!
Look forward to seeing your pics. =)

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:42 pm 
Utility Grade

My wide angle lens camera did a terrible job so I scrapped the images from that one and cobbled together a rather crude short video using the pc cam in my back room - it shows some aspects of the gun. Keep in mind that the receiver surfaces were steel-wooled with oil when I was a kid - my friend and I both took to steel wooling our guns out of boredom one day. That is why the receiver metal surfaces look lighter and show some light rust - bluing was removed more or less in 1968 :) kids. Anyway, here is the 4min video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5a47db_stevens-12g-1968_sport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good lookin' gun and the video came out great!
Looks just like my brother's gun (pictured in my prior post) except the wood is darker and his is 16 gauge.
I believe my brother told me his gun was acquired at a garage sale in '65.
One of these days, you and I will acquire cell phones with good cameras in them...then we can do shooting videos! =)
Thanks for the movie. That was really cool. =)

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

thx Dean - i wont be getting a smart phone - not interested - only a brainwashing/tracking device. i use a flip phone only when necessary :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looking up another shotgun and found this interesting quote....

"You will find a date code stamped on every shotgun & rifle/shotgun in the Savage/Stevens brands produced between March 1949 and December 1968. Usually, it is behind the hinge pin on the barrel(s) or ahead of the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame.
It will sometimes appear as a small circle containing a number and a letter. The letters correspond to the years shown

A 1949 B 1950 C 1951 D 1952 E 1953 F 1954 G 1955 H 1956 I 1957
J 1958 K 1959 L 1960 M 1961 N 1962 P 1963 R 1964 S 1965 T 1966
U 1967 V 1968 W 1969 X1970

no date code, earlier gun.
"

So there apparently are date codes for these guns....at least during a specific time.
New to me, so passing it on.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm 
Utility Grade

My father bought one of these in 12 ga. for the farm in Iowa in 1953. It was made in 1951, according to the C on the underside of the barrel. Being relatively light, it kicked like fury, so he went to Ace Hardware and bought the thickest Pachmayr recoil pad and screwed it on. It made the stock way too long. I discovered much later that it had one of the tightest full chokes I have ever patterned on a gun. My father, a fine shot with a rifle, rarely hit pheasants with this gun.
I was allowed to go pheasant hunting alone when I was 13 and missed 12 pheasants with it on opening day in 1963 before I finally connected and pulverized the bird. That was accomplished in 2 hours of hunting, which indicates the wealth of birds we had in those days. When I was a senior in high school, I cut the thickness of the recoil pad off the stock and reinstalled the pad for a perfect fit. By then my brother and I had a Springfield pump gun with a modified choke that improved our take substantially. When it was my turn to carry the single shot, I would wait til every one else shot, often dropping the bird at 50 yds+.
I still have the gun with a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. It sits in the closet corner for skunks, coons, and other vermin on our acreage. A great utility gun, but a poor choice for wingshooting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Presentation Grade

RMeyer,

Thanks for sharing your memories.
I too had similar experiences when hunting with my brother's 94.
I almost quit bird hunting because of it, but then my dad got a gun with a modified choke and we both found it easier to bring the birds down.
The next year I was gifted with a Stevens 511 choked M/F and it was a tack driver.
Many years later I acquired an H&R 088 and the first thing I did was have the barrel opened to modified.
Once I got used to the super light front end on that thing, I almost can't miss with it, either.
Chokes. They can make a difference. =)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am 
Utility Grade

Chokes:

My first gun out of college was a Zabala SxS 20 ga. w/ 3" chambers and double triggers, choked M/F. I had the modified barrel cut out to loose Imp. Cyl. A great pheasant gun with just the right amount of cast off for me.

Like an idiot, I didn't think I needed it when I bought a Browning 20 ga. BSS several years later, so I sold it. It didn't take long to figure out the benefits of double triggers after it was gone.

Another lost love.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Ouch!
Yeah, I sold off the 511 about 20 years ago because it spent way too many years sitting on the rack rather than being shot.
It's one glaring problem, walking the field with it was like carrying a 3.5 foot long, 6 lb. 4x4.
Very uncomfortable.
About a week after I sold the gun, it dawned on me I could've just rigged a sling for it.
Tried to buy it back, but the new owner was enjoying it too much...then he retired and I never saw him again. =(
I fill the hole left by that gun with the H&R and an 1100LW, both of which are very enjoyable to shoot.
...btw, my brother still has his 94 and shoots it well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am 
Tournament Grade

surprised to see this still active but it IS the near first that comes up...since I started this thread about 17 years ago...thought I'd share the hang tag I found in my Dad's papers...

ImageBills Shotgun by wlegg206, on Flickr[/url]

Winchester 9410 .410
NRA Benefactor****
Lifetime****LEAA****

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Cool find, Silversport! -b