ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crow DEAD!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Crow hunting is the fringe. It's right on the edge, man. :lol: I've been waiting since september 22 for January 21 and I'm there. Tomorrow I'll get out the caller and check the batteries, get all my camo together cause saturday the day. Duck and geese are fun but there's an insanity about crow hunting that you can't beat. It's mayham! I use the crows gathering sound in the foxpro with a external amp and loud speeker and it gets absolutely crazy.
I'll be blasting them a little different this year. I got a 10 ga. browning bps and I've converted it to black powder, nothing special, just made it easier to take apart and clean. I've worked up some 3 1/2" loads. 109 grs. of ff and 1 1/2 of #3 steel with home made paper shot cups and nitro wads. Fed. plastic hulls from BPI. My dog and I love the smell of black powder and I'm sure the crows will too. Shooting steel because thats what I gut.
My tactics are pretty simple, I find a good size spruce by itself and a thick area across an opening so when sit I'm 25- 30 yards from the top of the big tree. I put the caller under the big tree. I sit till I hear a guard crow and answer with a mouth call. When he comes to me, I turn the caller on. 25 - 50 will come in. I shut the caller off and blast away. When they start to leave I turn the caller on and they come back. I shut the caller off and blast away. I've called them back this way 4 times once. If they don't see you laughing :lol: they keep coming back.
What your tactics?

Post subject: Re: Crow DEAD!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

What do you do with a whole bunch of dead crows?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 am 
Utility Grade

I cut the feet off and make lecklaces. I might try making a nice wreath this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am 
Tournament Grade

seriously? I gotta see this! :lol: what about the rest of the crow?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Haven't you ever eaten crow?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Haven't even shot a crow...didn't know they were much for eatin...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

I think its gotta be good practice during the off season.

I've heard of guys using a owl decoy for crows.
Do u know anything about it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm 
Utility Grade

It was a bad start to the season. I made 2 stands and called a raven that circled about 80 yards up. There protected so I did'nt even take a try. Yesterday was cloudy, cold and lightly snowing. I knew as I drove to stand that I was'nt going to do anything. No crows flying around. They just stayed in the roost all day. Today they were out but it's sunday, no hunting. tomorrow sounds good.
I would'nt try eating them, at least, not if I did,nt have to 8) .

Crows eat the littler birds eggs but eagles eat the crows eggs. You can figure it out. We have a split season on crow. This part ends march 31 st.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 am 
Field Grade

In looney tunes cartoons, Daffy heckles the hunters.

But in real life. Crows do speak!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

cjp wrote:
What do you do with a whole bunch of dead crows?

Compost?
Dog food?
Maybe that's what McDonald's grinds up and presses into McNuggets?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

BP 10ga and crows? Man, you're way past the edge of the fringe. I love it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 am 
Crown Grade

I know it's an old thread but it sounds like a lot of fun. Anybody been bustin any crows this year?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shooting crows is really :D fun and quality wingshooting practice. 50 years ago, the LOCAL black devils knew my call by sound and my silhouette by sight. Now they come into my yard to forage. I did kill one a couple years ago and it bothered me... getting darned soft, I guess.
///olde 8) pharte///

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:23 am 
Utility Grade

Best day this year, (2013) was 68 crows in about 3 hours. Crow hunting is fun and it's beneficial. Crows kill lots of song bird chicks. They can also be hard on some agricultural crops. In Canada they are what you call a "schedule C" animal. They can be killed anytime and their nests and eggs destroyed. I certainly get what SA58 is talking about. It just occurs in me when duck and goose season starts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 am 
Field Grade

Been dropping the winged black rats for years. I prefer the 200 yd POOF shot with my 22 Hornet when hiding in the summer sweet corn fields with the shotgun is not possible. Call 'em into the corn and they peel off like Japanese Zeros making strafing runs on Pearl. Nothing like head on shots at tassel top level.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been crow shooting for years. We like to put the boat in on Clarks Hill and move around the lake and shoot "em". Last trip in February we gotb lots of shooting and killed 22. My partner & I run electronic calls in tandem.........We leave those pest where they fall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:51 am 
Diamond Grade

I went out a few times years ago and called them. I had some extra 10 ga shells and a Rem SP10 at the time and used it. Some crows flared at 50-60 yards but the big 10 folded them clean.
It was a blast but I lost that hunting spot, so have not done in years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I leave "em" for the bugs and worms. I hate "em'"! They eat my pecans/ eggs from bird nets and plants in my garden. Want "em" all dead.