ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 32" Cynergy CX with the adjustable comb -- thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm 
Field Grade

Narrowing down my choices for a multiusport O/U. Skeet, some 5-stand/sporting clays on occasion, and probably some trap, though my old (1976) BT-99 does just fine unless I'm going to try doubles.

I shot a 725 a couple weeks ago, and it felt much better than my buddy's Citori CX. I started to think that maybe I should look at lower profile guns as a result.

So today, I checked out a silver pigeon, along with CZ (happened to be on the shelf), a Franchi Instinct Sporter, and a couple Benelli 828s that were slightly out of my price range. And one a400 Excel, which really bummed me out because it fit really well, but I don't want to buy an auto. :)

The Silver Pigeon was "fine." Well-built, clearly, but no angels started singing. It actually felt a little light and skinny for my taste, after coming from Brownings. I also don't really prefer a ton of engraving on my shotguns unless I'm going to be buying a Purdey or something (which I'm not any time soon).

The Franchi fit okay (and had an adjustable comb), but seemed cheaply built compared to the Beretta. I'm sure it would be a very reliable gun, and the warranty is great, but next to the Beretta, it just felt like giving up a fair amount of fit and finish for $500 or so.

The CZ also felt like a "price point" gun in terms of finish, though I expected that.

The Benellis fit about as well as the Silver Pigeon, but they were out of my price range, and WAY too light. They definitely felt well-made, though, and I actually kind of dug the left-pointing top lever.

So far the 725 fits better than all of them, but it's out of my price range.

I'm thinking maybe a Cynergy CX could split the difference and give me the Browning feel and lower profile of the 725 but at a sub $2,000 price. Any thoughts? They aren't the easiest to find in stock to shoulder. A lot of the hate from more traditional clay shooters is based on looks, but I kind of like the Cynergy aesthetic, so if it fits, I'm all about it. I can always get the extended warranty from Buds to shore up the lousy Browning warranty.

I was thinking, specifically, of the 32" Cynergy CX with the adjustable comb (wood stock).

Depending on whether this takes over a lot of my singles trap from the BT, I'm probably looking at 5000 - 10000 rounds per year (I usually do 6-8 boxes per Sunday at this point).

Post subject: Re: 32" Cynergy CX with the adjustable comb -- thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My main gun is a Cynergy CX and I have had no issues. It fits me well. But note that a lot of gunsmiths do not like working on them should it need repair. Also, I had a 625 with the factory Browning adjustable comb. It is not great. I would probably get the regular stock and then have someone add the comb aftermarket.

I know this sounds like a negative review but I bought sold a lot of guns, most more expensive, before I settled on the the Cynergy.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 am 
Field Grade

Thank you so much--this is really helpful!I wondered about the factory adjustable comb. Part of me thinks "It will be covered under the warranty if you get it from the factory." But then I think "what warranty?" :) There are a bunch of people at the range who've had aftermarket adjustable combs installed on their much more expensive guns, so I could save $400 now and get their advice later if I need it.

jrmev wrote:
My main gun is a Cynergy CX and I have had no issues. It fits me well. But note that a lot of gunsmiths do not like working on them should it need repair. Also, I had a 625 with the factory Browning adjustable comb. It is not great. I would probably get the regular stock and then have someone add the comb aftermarket.

I know this sounds like a negative review but I bought sold a lot of guns, most more expensive, before I settled on the the Cynergy.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I’d buy the non adjustable, and have Tron do a proper job for you. Great all around shotgun though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:22 am 
Limited Edition

Tron does good work. He's done 3 for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:08 am 
Tournament Grade

I found the cynergy a little too front heavy, but the main reason I bought the Cynergy CX was because it fit me perfectly. With the adjustable LOP, I find winter clothing vs summer t-shirt shooting to be easy with this gun. I installed a grind-able butt stock to shorten the LOP, which made the gun fit me better.

I also rolled some coins (nickels?) into packing tape and installed them into the buttstock, along with some springs to increase the weight of the back of the gun...it makes the Cynergy much livelier to point. As a bonus, the center of gravity of the gun moved backwards, right at the hinge point.

It's been a reliable and fun gun to shoot. I had been mainly shooting skeet and sporting clays. In skeet, I shot a few 25's and mostly around 21-23 depending on the day. It points great.

Trap, OTOH, I've been stuck at 17-19. But I think it's the Indian, not the bow's fault.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know of 3 new shooters at my range who just broke into clays this Summer that didn't compromise
on a cheap price point O/U and went with the Cynergy CX as their starter gun.
Thousands of trouble free rounds later none are disappointed.
It's the best bang for the buck O/U sold although I am thrilled I got my new Citori CXT for
a $1600 final price after rebate in June.
There is a Browning Black Friday Rebate going on right now for $100 off the CX guns.