ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grandpaws Auto5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:33 pm 
Field Grade

I. Going to duck hunt with Grandpaws Auto 5 12 gauge this year. I have adjusted the friction rings to magnum shells. What you use to one the mag tube? I have heard motor oil, lithium grease.

Post subject: Re: Grandpaws Auto5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

I use 30 wt motor oil on the magazine tube, just a light coating. I would recommend you test shoot it first with the shells you intend to use. My guns seem to cycle steel shot better on the light load setting not the magnum setting. It’s not fun to be stuck with a “single-shot” gun when ducks are coming in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

xpert16 wrote:
I use 30 wt motor oil on the magazine tube, just a light coating. I would recommend you test shoot it first with the shells you intend to use. My guns seem to cycle steel shot better on the light load setting not the magnum setting. It’s not fun to be stuck with a “single-shot” gun when ducks are coming in.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I would recommend the following video from Art's Gun shop. I would start at 22:30 but it is all informative. The Browning Owners manual for the Auto 5 is not very specific and just says, "lubricate lightly with an oiled patch". See page 10 below of the manual. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pemc1_Tcvw

https://www.browning.com/content/dam/br ... -2up-s.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
I would recommend the following video from Art's Gun shop. I would start at 22:30 but it is all informative. The Browning Owners manual for the Auto 5 is not very specific and just says, "lubricate lightly with an oiled patch". See page 10 below of the manual. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pemc1_Tcvw

https://www.browning.com/content/dam/br ... -2up-s.pdf

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you're using your Grand dad's Auto 5, chances are good that it's an older version (Belgian) and therefore not rated for steel shot. Check and get back to us. As far as lubing the magazine tube, I've been using 30 weight motor oil for over 40 years on mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:04 am 
Field Grade

TMWilsoniv wrote:
If you're using your Grand dad's Auto 5, chances are good that it's an older version (Belgian) and therefore not rated for steel shot. Check and get back to us. As far as lubing the magazine tube, I've been using 30 weight motor oil for over 40 years on mine.

Correct it is a Belgian. Boss copper plated bismuth shells is what I will use in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 am 
Crown Grade

Redlazer wrote:
TMWilsoniv wrote:

Correct it is a Belgian. Boss copper plated bismuth shells is what I will use in it.

That is really excellent ammo and like you indicated; perfectly safe for your old Auto 5.

The basic rule I have learned to follow on the great Auto 5, is that the first thing I check is that the action and recoil springs need to be in good, uncompressed condition. Then I use only enough lube on the magazine tube that allows proper functioning, and not even a drop more.

It is also important to keep the rails/slots where the barrel rides in the receiver lightly lubed.

Finally, the heavier the load to be used, the less lube I use on the magazine tube. Good luck with your Grandpa's old gun. I bet it never misses a beat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:35 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Redlazer wrote:
TMWilsoniv wrote:

That is really excellent ammo and like you indicated; perfectly safe for your old Auto 5.

The basic rule I have learned to follow on the great Auto 5, is that the first thing I check is that the action and recoil springs need to be in good, uncompressed condition. Then I use only enough lube on the magazine tube that allows proper functioning, and not even a drop more.

It is also important to keep the rails/slots where the barrel rides in the receiver lightly lubed.

Finally, the heavier the load to be used, the less lube I use on the magazine tube. Good luck with your Grandpa's old gun. I bet it never misses a beat.

I’m not sure if the action and recall spring is compressed. You have measurements of a uncompressed? Also recommendation on where to pickup new springs? I know daddy always said grandpaw never missed a rabbit with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Redlazer wrote:

It looks like this coming season might be the first time anything other than lead will be run through any of my guns, save an occasional and accidentally purchased flat of steel target loads. I will pick up a few boxes of the Boss ammo.

As for replacement springs for your Auto 5...

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/A5RBD12

Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am 
Limited Edition

How old is Your Auto 5.? If Grandpaw hunted it a lot for along time I think it might be worth it to spend some $$ and send it to Art's to be stripped , cleaned and have the springs changed. they will also find and fix anything that may be a problem down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 pm 
Field Grade

.45colt wrote:
How old is Your Auto 5.? If Grandpaw hunted it a lot for along time I think it might be worth it to spend some $$ and send it to Art's to be stripped , cleaned and have the springs changed. they will also find and fix anything that may be a problem down the road.

It would be late 40s to mid 50s. That is a good idea I’ll look into sending to Art’s. Idea how much they normally cost?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Contact them and see what they say. You can use the attached form to spell out what you want done first.

https://artsgunshop.com/contact-us/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

After 40+ years of shooting shotguns I finally picked up an Auto 5 three years ago. It didn't take long for Me to realize the error in My ways. :oops: :oops: . I have since picked up another. both were made in 1971. If either one has a problem I can't solve it will go to Arts. I hope Your A-5 gives You many more years of service. Keep Us Updated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

There is something about those old humpbacks. I have a early 30s Remington model 11 Sportsman 16gauge also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

Midwest Gun Works has the spring for a Light 12 for $12.75 and Magnum for $19 plus shipping. I am attaching a photo of the spring I replaced in my 1950’s era Light Twelve standing beside the new one. Made an instant difference in cycling reliability.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.