ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to disassemble your Browning Double Auto pics / vide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am 
Field Grade

Adobe Workspaces closes down 6th. Jan 2015. The BDA owner booklets I stored there have been moved to ....
https://cloud.acrobat.com/file/e20fc2ed ... b441904d29
https://cloud.acrobat.com/file/2860dc98 ... c14389788a
If anyone is interested they should be free to download from those links. You will need an Adobe ID. The 2nd link provides a very useful exploded parts diagram for anyone dismantling a DA. particularly if you print off the relevant pages on A4 and join them together the same size as the large original single sheet (one page was copied skewed in the scanner). The part numbers/description may differ from the lists at Sarcoinc - http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/browning.aspx or Numrich - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... -40785.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

It would be nice if someone can retrieve these manuals and place them somewhere that doesn't require a log in at Adobe. Border, thanks for offering! We need to keep these documents in ready circulation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:23 pm 
Field Grade

If it is possible to upload them onto "shotgunworld" PM me instruction how to do it.
Otherwise, the files are also stored on my PC and I have always been happy to send them as attachments to anyone who provides an email address. (Dbl Auto - Doug provided me with one of them when I began my DA search)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is the owner's manual.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks! I hadn't seen that manual before. Now I don't feel so bad for never removing the bolt for cleaning. I never could get one of those two pins out, anyway. Mine is a 1959 Twentyweight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Well guys, I've tried about all I know how to do. I got it loosened up a little so I though shooting it with some heavy loads may free it up more. No such luck, it's even tighter now. I think I will have to send it off for professional work. I just don't know enough to keep messing with it. I may try one more thing, taking the springs out of the buttstock and cleaning that area. Everything on this gun is so stiff. Maybe from being unused, maybe from a lot of use. I'm just getting a little tired of fooling with it. Thanks for all of your alls help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Does anybody know where I can find an exploded view of the disassembled Double Auto receiver? I know I am missing 2 parts but I don't know what they're called....

The Spring and the Guide in the picture - I'm missing both of these parts on one of my DA's.

Thanks

Click on link below to see a picture of what I'm talking about.

http://www.lazyjj.com/personal/Spring.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The parts you are looking for are the carrier spring and carrier spring guide. Both available from Sarco, Inc. at

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/browning.aspx

Also, before you go trying to install these, do yourself a favor and make an installation tool by getting a cheap, thin (straight) bladed screwdriver, and put a notch in the center of tip of the blade using a jeweler's file. When installing, put the guide in the spring, and use the tool to compress the spring and align the tip of the guide into the detent hole in the carrier. Very much like compressing the pins when installing a wristwatch band. Takes all the frustration and risk out of installing these parts, and the installation takes all of a minute or less.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and safe shooting.

PM or contact [email protected] for details

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Trapperjohn, You have made my day!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:49 pm 
Field Grade

Dbl Auto - I want to thank you for your instructional video.

I completely took down my new-to-me dragon black DA today. Never could have done it without the vids! It was fun to do and I now have even more respect for the DA...think I need another one!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And so it begins.

PM or contact [email protected] for details

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

iamgodlike, I am glad that the videos were helpful. You can't just have one DA, it will get lonely... I too admire the fit and finish of this model.
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I never could get one of those two pins out. Knowing the history of the gun, it's never been apart.

I'd like to find some sort of button hook that is long with a curved opposite end that I can tap with a hammer to get it out. Overall the gun is pretty clean.

Not to get off topic, but what's the lightest loads you guys can shoot? Is 1oz at 1180 working for anyone? I had recommended 1oz @1150 earlier in this thread but I was wrong, I had 1 oz @1250. These light guns do have some kick.

Also, does anyone know of a nice recoil pad that will bolt right onto a DA, or do they need to be fitted? My White Line is nice, but installed when the gun was new (1959) and hard as a rock.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dallas, I put Pachmeyer decelerator pads on my shooters and have them professional fit. I think they do a good job of helping with recoil and still look good on the DA. I am not a fan of the white line pads on the DA. i like how they look on an 1100 or 870, just not on a DA. I have a kickezz on one DA too that I like. I have been shooting factory Rio 1 oz [email protected] 1210 fps. They function well in my DA's and are soft shooting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:32 am 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
I never could get one of those two pins out. Knowing the history of the gun, it's never been apart.

I'd like to find some sort of button hook that is long with a curved opposite end that I can tap with a hammer to get it out. Overall the gun is pretty clean.

So, my experience with the keys was they were VERY difficult to remove. VERY-my acquisition had not been taken down in forever.

I was frustrated, so I took a break (that was recommended in the video too). But, I also put a few drops of Clenzoil on the sticky keys and let it dwell for a few hours. From there, I was able to insert a small flathead screwdriver in the key slots, from the opposite side, using the receiver as a pry stop. I used a very small piece of flat plastic between the receiver and screwdriver shaft so as not damage or marr the receiver. It slid right out...then I was able to use a set of pliers to slide each key out as shown in Dbl Auto's vid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I tried that as well, prying across the receiver with a protection layer to not damage the receiver.

I'll have to try again some day. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I am trying to get the the breechlock link to swing down and haven't been able to get it move. I have been able to get the hook that hold the link in place to move up about a 1/4 inch (enough for the link to move around a little. I have tried to rotate the hook to right of the gun and it moves very little. How far does the hook need to move up and rotate? My Double Auto was my great grand fathers and probably hasnt been cleaned in 50 years (at least that what it seems like)

Does any one have any pictures or a more detailed video to see what I am missing?

Thanks for the help....I need every bit I can get!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

twiens33, after you lift the hook out of the link, you need to push it rearward. Once you get it past the link, the link will drop down and you can then rotate the hook enough to have it engage the inside of the receiver. If you can't get it, I will try to do a video to show you.
Doug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 pm 
Field Grade

Unhooking the link was mentioned here ... viewtopic.php?f=53&t=408698 where there is also a "link" to one of Dbl Autos videos ...removing the action spring tube cap is also mentioned but that is not essential to the unhooking.

The bolt disassembly is covered in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4Dv8qvfhw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

border, thanks for the links. I had missed the bolt disassembly video. I have not taken one apart, yet. I also saw the videos you did at skeet with the DA...nice!
Doug

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next