ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to disassemble your Browning Double Auto (With Pics!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just took down my bro's Double Auto for a much need cleaning.

I know it's an old thread, but it keeps on giving, thanks Dbl Auto!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hope it has kept some DA's in the field and even brought some back into service.
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Love all the discussion on the DA. I've been carrying my grandad's Belgium Browning for the last 20 years and never really knew what I had. Through this site and the internet I have semi-confirmed that I have a 1956 Belgium Browning DA. My grandfather was working in England and came back to the states before I was born in 1959.

I did just realize that I've been shooting trap with the fully choked barrel. I've been struggling to switch out the barrel but hopefully I can take these tricks home and put in the modified choke barrel.

I spoke with the Browning historian but sadly they have no records of the Belgium models. Can anyone nail down the date with a serial number C222xx? Doesn't really matter but its nice to learn a little more about this gun.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

digger, my Grandfather's Twelvette in A18XXX and was shipped 12-20-1960 according to Glen Jenson at Browning. Does your steel DA have the close pistol grip radius?
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

The early guns had the pistol grip on the right.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 am 
Utility Grade

Doug,
The pistol grip is closer to the gun on the left. According to another post, these guns were only made from 55-57.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi I've just purchased a browning twelvett and would like to give the trigger assembly a clean.
How does it come away from the body?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello Gentelmen. I have a double auto that my Granddad bought for my dad in about 1965-67. The gun was not ejecting properly so I took it to a friends dad that is good with guns.He fixed my ejection problem, but now I have a new problem. Where the barrel fits into the reciever there is some slack. There is something out of adjustment and the barrel rattles quite a bit , its not right is all I know, and I cant figure out whats wrong. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this is an old thread, hopefully someone will pick up on this and bail me out, LOL .Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

drop the forearm, push out the pin that holds it on. Now put the barrel back into the receiver, loosen the screw at the end where the forearm pin goes through until the barrel stops moving then rotate it just a little more so you can put the forearm pin back in. reassemble and your good to go.

Now if anyone knows how to take out a little rotational shake in the barrel I am all ears.

Last edited by BAD_KARMA on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bad Karma has it right. Mr Karma, you are getting side to side movement? With the bolt open or closed?
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 pm 
Field Grade

front to back it is tight bolt open or closed. But if you put your hand on the barrel and twist it a little you get get a little movement. This happens bolt open or closed, it is a little more when the bolt is open.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bad Karma, I would call Art at www.artsgunshop.com and see what he has to say about it. Do you have more that one barrel that you can try to see if it barrel specific or wear on the receiver?
Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

My DA Twelvette was made in 1963 and I purchased it new in 1964. I have hunted quail and dove with it over the years but never disassembled it for a complete cleaning. Quite frankly I was intimidated by it until I discovered this post. I tackled the dissassembly and with the help of this post and was successful in doing it. I could do it again now with no problem. My DA is now squeaky clean and ready for more shooting. Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

rebshooter, glad I could help. I think the keys that hold the trigger group in place are very neat and add to the "How do I get this appart factor". What color is your DA?
Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Mine is a black Twelvette, 26" plain barrel, modified choke. The hardest part for me was disconnecting the bolt assembly from the Spring thing that goes down the stock. Once I figured it out, it was easy. I just entered another post about the gold trigger. I want to replace it or re-plate it since the gold is really worn. Perhaps you could read it and respond to it. Thanks Dbl Auto.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 am 
Crown Grade

Nice thread here, I look forward to disassembling my DA for the first time.... I've had it for about 35 years and who knows if it was ever disassembled for cleaning before that! It's in great shape though, I've always wiped it down and kept the bores and chamber clean.

About 30 years ago I shot skeet with this gun several times, one day I got 23/25 - missed the very first shot and very last, but everything in-between. It's a nice shooting gun.

It's in a Browning shotgun carrying case and came with two barrels, IC and Full. It's black aluminum and engraved in gold, made in '63 based on S/N.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dallas CMT, it will last another 35 years of shooting after you clean it. With the 2 bbl set, you have all that you need for an all around shotgun.
Doug

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had to tear my DA apart twice to solve a hanging up issue where the first shell fired would get stuck in the receiver preventing the second shell from loading. The first time I used this great sticky thread to disassemble and clean. On close inspection on the second tear down the two brass bushings to control friction are not the same on my gun. The diameter on the end of one of the bushings was smaller. My DA is a steel receiver second year production based on serial number and no visible rivets in forearm. When I tore mine down again the front brass bushing was stuck in the barrel lug reducing its split diameter too much creating too much friction. I swapped bushings around and installed the bushing with the smaller end into the barrel lug. Problem solved!!!

Note if your forearm snaps up correctly to hold barrel I would draw an index line on the barrel nut on the face even with the holes the forearm pin goes through and put an arrowhead on one end. Count revolutions to remove nut, do your cleaning, etc. and recount revolutions to tighten placing arrowhead back into correct position. This will index the nut back exactly to where it was. If your barrel is hard to remove and you need to push barrel into receiver to snap up forearm, or sloppy, index nut one hole at a time from your witness mark position in the correct direction. Put forearm on and test function. Turn nut in to put less pressure on forearm closure and out to make forearm harder to close. One set of index holes is a big change on my gun. I had to try mine three times since the person who torn it down before me had that screwed up too. Setting barrel nut is pretty similar to setting preload on the front wheel bearings using a castle nut and cotter pin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am 
Utility Grade

I have two Browning semi auto doubles, one with one barrel and one with two barrels, I tried to interchange the barrels and they only go in a short distance, then become tight. I got one barrel in and was unable to close the bolt. It is the same on the second receiver. Is there an adjustment required. I wish to keep two ribbed barrels and the other receiver as it's better and sell the second. Any info would be appreciated. Bob in Canada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:58 pm 
Field Grade

Go to the links below to download BDA owner booklets ... both contain information on adjusting the barrel take-up. The "USA" version has the better explanation.

Note:- Posts elsewhere on this forum mention that the dimensions of the barrel extension projections which slide in the receiver grooves are a few thou thicker on later models so all barrels may not be readily interchangeable...

https://files.acrobat.com/preview/e20fc ... b441904d29

https://files.acrobat.com/preview/2860d ... c14389788a

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next