ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to disassemble your Browning Double Auto (With Pics!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Dbl Auto wrote:
Dallas CMT, it will last another 35 years of shooting after you clean it. With the 2 bbl set, you have all that you need for an all around shotgun.
Doug

Well I'm just now getting around to cleaning it. Shot 3 rounds of skeet today with it and loved it. I'm a VERY rusty skeet shooter and no good at all. I rented an A400 Xplor Action to compare to the TwentyWeight.

The A400 feels about a pound heavier, pointed well, recoiled less. I shot the A400 first and hit a terrible 16/25. Then the Double Auto again with 1oz shot and got 17/25. One last round with the DA this time with 1-1/8th oz shot and got 20/25. At that rate I didn't want to leave! Best ever (when I was in my 20's) was 23/25. I have shot this gun three outings this year after a 20 year hiatus.

Anyway, I feel dumb here but how the heck to I remove the butt stock if I have a glued-on recoil pad? There are holes in the end of the rubber where someone tried to push a screwdriver through, and I did the same and can feel some screws in there (Philips?) but even if I remove the two screws, how can I get to the larger stock screw? Is it even possible to remove the stock with a glued-on recoil pad? Do these types of recoil pads come off?

EDIT: you can barely see the two holes in the rubber where someone tried to unscrew the pad. It's a Pachmayr White Line pad. <Google searching that now...>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Okay guys never mind, I figured it out. It was a slotted screw, not Philips. Came right off.

Now to tear 'er down for the first time in +35 years!

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Let us know how it goes!
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Dbl Auto wrote:
With the stock removed, look into the rear of the receiver. You will see that there are two pins that hold the trigger group in the receiver. There are small notches that you need to engage with a screwdriver(be gentle) or button hook (works best)...

I got one of those pins out but the other won't budge. They are square pins in my gun. I don't have a button hook but will get one tomorrow if I have no success tonight. I've tried putting a flat screwdriver blade into the notch and pulling but can't get a lot of leverage there. I've used the receiver edge for leverage but don't want to damage it.

I made a semi-sortof button hook by hammering a coat hanger wire flat and then bending a sharp 90 degree tip to fit into the pin's groove. I put a loop in the other end so I can put a screwdriver through it for pulling leverage. My wife held the gun while I pulled, and I pulled her out of the chair and almost knocked the table over. Something is stuck!

EDIT: Maybe I need a bigger wife? J/K! I put it all back, the gun is very clean. I doubt there's 500-700 rounds through this 54 year old gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 am 
Crown Grade

Somewhat unrelated to the cleaning of the DA but not entirely so.

How did Browning shave off the added weight savings of 13 ounces when they designed the Twentyweight? I mean a Twelvette 26 inch with VR is supposed to weigh 6 lbs. 14 ounces (mine weighs one oz more at 6 lbs 15 ounces) and the same configured Twentyweight only weighs 6 lbs. 1 oz. That is just over 3/4 of a pound weight savings!!! They both have the alloy receivers so I am wondering just how did they do that?

Was it choice of woods used or lighter barrels or what? I have not seen this discussed before and if it has, I apoligize for rehashing the subject matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 am 
Field Grade

Twentyweight has less dense wood; the forearm is slimmer with cutaways along the sides; barrel made from a lighter steel alloy, its diameter is slimmer and no vent rib. (Fit a Twelvette forearm on a Twentyweight and there is a noticeable gap)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 am 
Utility Grade

Dbl Auto Hello, I'm a new member and I write from Italy. Forgive my English. My problem is that I inherited a semi-auto 12 cal Twentyweight and do not know how to take it apart. From the photos you posted I do not understand how to do, please can you make a video step-by-step disassembly? Thank you for what you do to me. carabinabrowning (Michele).
If you prefer you can also send it on my mail: [email protected]
I'll wait anxiously for your reply. Thank you again {hs# :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I will work on having the wife and kids help me do a video. It would be fun and informative. Give me some time and I will see what I can do.
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, I did it and made a 2 part video. It turns out that my camera has small storage, so it cut me off. Part 2 is not loaded to youtube yet, but here is part one. Again, I am not an actor and my beautiful wife did the best she could with the camera. It is easier to understand then the pics, IMO. I will work on getting part 2 loaded tomorrow.
Doug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkyGaUO2Dos

Post subject: Re: How to disassemble your Browning Double Auto pics / vide
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Here is part #2.
Doug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee34NRkkKeM&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dbl
Have you ever taken action spring out of the rear? I wanted to clean mine but could not loosen up the large slotted aluminum screw on the end of the tube without risking damage since I do not have a screw driver balde near the wide. Also which way does the lock block on the action spring pivot since you can rotate it in the tube? Down towards the trigger group or up towards the top of the receiver? My DA has had some prior disassembly and not clear it was put back 100 percent correct.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have never taken the unit that the butt stock slides over apart. With the receiver upside down, the hooked unit that engages the action bars of the bolt, turns to the right.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Very well done, Dbl Auto! I might have to try it again now. I never could get those two pins out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:02 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for this informative post - I inherited my grandfather's double automatic many years ago (having never shot in my younger years). A friend has kindled the fire in me, and so I pulled out grandpa's shotgun to try to identify it and understand its operation and care better - with plans to ultimately take it to a range if it is in proper condition. I am struggling to properly date it as I am not finding any of the markings to be ones that resemble the serial numbers I have seen here or on brownings site. It is clearly a DA and it seems to me (being mechanical in nature) that it is the "standard" gun, not the lightweight. Are there any folks who could help me properly determine the age?

thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm 
Field Grade

Photo of the serial no. on one of my BDAs action here...
cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=3 ... FILE 10/1787

I also have two pre 1958 examples without a preceding number (under the 'FN'). A (grey) alloy actioned stamped with 'A' and a steel action 'C'. Numbers stamped on barrels do not relate to those on the receivers.

Information below taken from Browning's website. Although you may have found this already...
Double Automatic Shotgun
Production of the Double Automatic shotgun began in 1955. Invented by Val Browning, son of John M. Browning, production ceased in 1971.
1955-57 The Double Automatic Shotgun began production in 1955. Accurate production notes were not kept during this time period.
1958-67 From 1958 serial numbers were preceded by the date of manufacture. 8A=aluminum receivers for 1958.
8C=steel receivers for 1958.
Example: 8C21601 = A 1958 Double Automatic with steel receiver and serial number 21601 A=aluminum receiver C=steel receiver
1969-72 In 1969 Browning started using two digits for the date of manufacture which was followed by a four digit code that identified the type of Double Automatic. The Double Automatic ceased production in 1972.
This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 1000.
Example: 69A1000 = A 1969 Double Automatic shotgun with an aluminum receiver and serial number of 1000. A=aluminum receiver C=steel receiver

Certainly others on this forum could give you additional info.

Last edited by border reiver on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info!....so mine is C147XX so must be pre '58

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm 
Field Grade

If the BDA is unfamiliar to you then some of my old posts may be of interest ...
http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... uble-auto/
https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html ... Rwa8DvoC8g
https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html ... L1Z4R2qU9A ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Blacktie, if you get out and shoot it, let us know how it goes. I suspect it's in good shape. I have a Twentyweight from 1959 and enjoy shooting it. I too inherited mine, and it came with two barrels, a Full and an Improved Cylinder.

Do you know what choke you have?

If you're new to shooting and you shoot some clays with it, let me suggest you start out with some light target loads. Look for #8 shot, or 7.5, in velocities that are "2-3/4 Dram Eqv", or under 1200 FPS in velocity. Faster than that increases felt recoil significantly. I prefer a 1 ounce load of #8's at 1150 fps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 am 
Utility Grade

Ok so I am just getting around to cleaning it now (vacations), and I believe (based on the two asterisks next to the words "Special Steel" and under the words "Browning Arms Company" that it is a modified choke.

It has a bit of light surface rust on the receiver and barrel outside but everything seems in good working order. Now to get this shotgun cleaned and out to the range. :)

Thanks for the info on the loads to use - based on it I plan to use 1oz #7.5 1150 fps "xtra-lite" loads. Looking forward to putting it back into action.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I need help with my DA. Got a brown receiver twelvette at a gunshow. Shot it. The first shell hung up and didn't eject. Flipped it out, advanced the second, did the same. Figured it needed cleaning. Followed two part video, came apart nicely. Cleaned it up (found out be carful with Breakfree powder blast, it stains finishes!!). Oiled very lightly and carefully. Followed instructions to put it back together. Tried a dummy shell, hammer worked, good to go. Inserted first loaded shell, it went to the chamber. Inserted second shell, right where it is supposed to be. Thought I was good to go. Then noticed I could see the side of the shell at the end of the receiver. The barrel is not seated. Would not pull off with shell in it. Ejected shells, tried to put barel back on--it will not lock in place. The front lug goes in its slot, the rear of the forearm locks into place. Barrel will still pull out. What locks the barrel in the gun, and what am I doing wrong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next