ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel Ring
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a bulge ring in my Gold Hunter. What can I do?

UPDATE: 5/5/2008

Finally some resolution. Browning called today. The barrels for my MOBU Gold Hunter 3 1/2 are tied up in Customs indefinately. They offered me a brand new MOBU Silver 3 1/2 today as a replacement at no charge. I'm partial to my Gold Hunter, but figured it was worth it to let them swap it out, so it'll soon be over. Thanks for all the advice.

The thing I want and hope is to never fail Christ in anything. I hope to have the courage now, as ever to show the blessings of Christ in my life. I want to do this whether I die, or I live. Phil 1:20

Last edited by chasu on Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: Barrel Ring
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 am 
Presentation Grade

If the bulge is just down from the end of your muzzle, browning claims that it is not a safety issue. You will need to go out and shoot some pattens with it and see if there is any effect on pattern.......I can not imagne there would not be.
but once again, browning claims the bulge, if at the end of the barrel, is purely cosmetic.
Any chance we can see a picture, and what do you think created the bulge?
Ross

Post subject: Re: Barrel Ring
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

chasu wrote:
I have a bulge ring in my Gold Hunter. What can I do?

Likely replace the barrel ASAP!

Do you know what caused it? Bore obstruction?

Post subject: Re: re: Barrel Ring
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

rer wrote:
If the bulge is just down from the end of your muzzle, browning claims that it is not a safety issue. You will need to go out and shoot some pattens with it and see if there is any effect on pattern.......I can not imagne there would not be.
but once again, browning claims the bulge, if at the end of the barrel, is purely cosmetic.

Browning does not say that at all-- that comment is restricted to fixed choke guns and steel shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:55 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Browning does not say that at all-- that comment is restricted to fixed choke guns and steel shot.

What would be the difference if the gun has screw in chokes? I don't read the comment from browning to be 'restricted' only that it was an answer to a question regarding using steel shot in older browning barrels. Why would a barrel bulge (if found at the muzzle end of the barrel) be any different regardless of fixed choke or invector?
Ross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I would not shoot the gun until the barrel is replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the barrel rated for steel? Were you shooting steel out of a non-rated barrel? Did you have a barrel obstruction?

If it's a defect in the gun, talk to Browning about a replacement. If you caused it, you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy another barrel.

I would not shoot it in its current condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

It's on a Gold Hunter. Of course it is rated for steel.

Are we sure it's a bulge or is it the swell for the choke tube? A good pic is a must.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="A5Mag12"]It's on a Gold Hunter. Of course it is rated for steel.

Are we sure it's a bulge or is it the swell for the choke tube? A good pic is a must.[/quote]

I can post a pic, but it's a bulge about 10 inches from the end of the barrel. I've spoken to Browning. The barrel had no restriction because I ran my tico tool through it the night before. We were hunting in a sandy dirt peanut field. There was no restriction in the barrel at all. The expansion for the choke tube is not a problem. They want me to send it to them for inspection to determine who pays for the new barrel. If it's my fault, the barrel will cost as much as I paid for the gun.

The thing I want and hope is to never fail Christ in anything. I hope to have the courage now, as ever to show the blessings of Christ in my life. I want to do this whether I die, or I live. Phil 1:20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

You could probably find a used barrel quite a bit cheaper than new if you take time to look a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's the plan if they don't cover the damage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have good results with the Browning repair facility in Arnold, MO. I'd call them first, and probably send it back to them for replacement (hopefully free...).

JERRY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:35 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

That barrel will probably not be a free replacement from Browning, but may still be able to be salvaged in a cut-down length for some brush shooting or other short barrel optimized situation. I cut barrels for turkey hunters and rechoke those short barrels to be long range capable.
If the bulge is at least at the 18" mark, or at least close, there is some possible life beyond use as an oversize tent peg.

See this turkey hunt pattern, as well as the waterfowl patterns from my style of steel shot choke being patterned with 2 Hevi-13 shells.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 44#1044544

Thanks for looking.

I'm only about 3 miles from Browning in Arnold, and I have personally had some decent experiences with them replacing defective parts that I showed to them for my customers, especially when I can point out the defective nature of the part, not just worn from use.

[email protected]

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:13 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

rer wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

What would be the difference if the gun has screw in chokes? I don't read the comment from browning to be 'restricted' only that it was an answer to a question regarding using steel shot in older browning barrels. Why would a barrel bulge (if found at the muzzle end of the barrel) be any different regardless of fixed choke or invector?
Ross

Many fixed choke guns are not rated for, tested with, or designed for steel shot. None with tight chokes are, that I know of.

I suppose "bulge" and "ring" are subjective terms-- but, to "ring" a choke tube and a barrel sounds like a real problem, smelling more like a bore obstruction than just shooting at a duck.

Anytime you exceed the yield strength of metal, you are looking at a problem. The subsequent yield and tensile strength changes, and to what extent you sure can't tell by just eye-balling it. Firing a gun with a bulged barrel is asking for problems, regardless of its type.

A problem 10 in. away from the muzzle is no choke issue; it will be easy to tell if it was a bore blockage or not-- odds are, it was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Guys,
I know about the bore blockage thing and I guarantee that there was no bore blockage or restriction. There was NOTHING in the bore when I shot it except maybe a little residue from wind blown dust from the field. We were in sandy soil and the barrel was down on my shooting cot not even on the ground. Wind blown sandy dust is all that there was and it was in the action of my gun. There was nothing in the barrel. The people at Browning said that they determine barrel obstruction about 90 percent of the time. That leaves 10 percent for structural inconsistency in the barrel metal. A majority of the time there is an obstruction. I'm confident that they'll determine that the barrel metal was not what it should be at the location of the bulge/ring. If not, there's nothing I can do, but have the barrel cut or buy another one, new or used.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:26 am 
Crown Grade

Did it happen on the first or subsequent shots? Could have been a loose basewad that got into the barrel if the latter.

Hope they fix you up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, I hope they fix me up too. It happened with the first shot. I shot it two days before and put it in the case. Didn't take it out until I got to the field. I'm an exception to the everyday shooter. I pay really close attention to cleanliness. I even remove my choke tubes after each hunt just to make sure that there is no water lurking in the threads before the gun gets put up for a week. I NEVER let my guns sit up dirty. I always run the TICO tool through the barrel bore after EVERY hunt. I can't explain it. Maybe the experts can. I'll send it back to Browning and post the results in somewhere near 8 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Ring bulge in the barrel is usually caused by shooting steel shot thru a full choke. I have read several articles advising against shooting steel shot & hevi-shot thru a full choked barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:08 am 
Tournament Grade

[quote="A500R"]Ring bulge in the barrel is usually caused by shooting steel shot thru a full choke. I have read several articles advising against shooting steel shot & hevi-shot thru a full choked barrel.[/quote]

It can happen through a lead full choke. I was shooting through an Improved Modified Invector Plus which Browning recommends for shooting steel through for a full choke pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Got the news from Browning today. Nothing they can do for me but replace the barrel at a discount for only 481.00. The rep told met that most of the time barrels bulge due to a restriction. The next words out of my mouth were:
"Ok, you just stated that "MOST" of the time restrictions cause this. I assure you with the utmost certainty that a barrel restriction did not cause this one. I ran a Tico tool from one end of the barrel to the other two days before I used it on the hunt and the gun was never in a position to get anything in the barrel." He said, "ok, hold on while I go and pull the gun." He came back about 5 minutes later and said "Sorry, there's nothing I can do for you, but you can call my supervisor after lunch and tell him about it." I tried this afternoon and he was not in the office.

Anyone have a mossy oak breakup barrel for a gold hunter 3 1/2 for sale?