ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: citori forcing cones-lengthen?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 am 
Field Grade

I have a 1992 Citori 20 ga. skeet, with Invector chokes.
Does any one have personal expericence with having the forcing cones lengthened and polished? The gun is used for skeet and sporting clays. Does it improves the shot pattern? Do you have test results?
Thanks in advance for your comments

Post subject: re: citori forcing cones-lengthen?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:09 pm 

Leave it alone, use the money for practice rounds, yo will be ahead in the long run! :lol:

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

I had my first Citori "done up" FCs, BBed, ported, etc. Would I do it again, nope. It did not shoot one bit better and if anything was worse than a stock gun. :(
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

It does make a world of difference in the method and quality of the work.
Forcing cone lengthening is a term used in a generic manner, but there is no more interchange than the term .30 caliber rifle means every one of them is the same, either.

You get work done by an idiot that got a Brownell's catalog last week, or someone with 20+ years of custom work experience.
Are those also generic?

I have results for my forcing cone work on a skeet choked 1100 Remington 12 ga. barrel to relate.
Shot with the same box of AA 9's before and after, on paper about 40" and at 25 yards:
before was 550-580 on the paper
after had 620 to 640
There are about 660 in the shell, so 10% of the total shot load that was completely off the paper (flyers) was now in an area to have effectiveness by filling out the fringes of the pattern whereas those pellets would have otherwise been practically useless. Not likely to kill a bird or chip a clay over 20" from the center of the pattern.

The pattern center previously had small groups of 2 and 3 pellets almost in one hole, but afterwards had some extra spread between with no clumping of shot through the center.

My conclusion was that my special super-long forcing cone work was more likely to smooth the pattern concentration without making the center denser with open chokes, and fill out the edges with pellets that don't become flyers.

I have had many shooters that have recounted the amazing distances that they have been able to dispatch game with light choking even in small gauge guns.
The reduced deformity of the pellets reduces the spread at extended ranges so open chokes are more effective than otherwise was expected. Rounder pellets fly straighter, hold the velocity and killing power to add more effective distance, smoother patterns have more consistent performance instead of erratic results.

[email protected]

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kirby aint' like us other boys. kirby is a geniune expert. That's what he does every day for a living. I respect the opinions of guys like kirby quite a bit.

For guys like me, which are better described as the fool with the tool from Brownells, I can say that I haven't just ruined any of my guns yet putting lone cones in them, and after I've made a long forcing cone and polished it out, I'm as a proud as a Mama must be after giving birth. I agree with kirby completely, that the long cones appear to cut down on flyers that would otherwise be thrown wide and wasted, and they seem to "even up" the distribution in the pattern.

A long cone isn't a miracle, but I think it's an improvement.

By the way, I'll only cut a long cone in a single barrel auto or pump shotgun. If it's a double gun, like the Citori, I'd send it to somebody like kirby or mike orlen who knows what they are doing. If I mess up a barrel on some old pawn shop special, it's not the end of days, you know? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the opinions. i think I am going to leave it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe if you hunt waterfowl with it? I have patterned my invector choke 20 gauge citori with the Browning skeet chokes and target loads and I don't think the pattern can get much "better" with long cones.