ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ejectors into Extractors-Citori, Cynergy & BT-99(w/pics)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

After you have removed the hammer mechanism from the forearm. A very easy and safe way to remove the ejector springs is to make a tool by using a 3" C clamp, just cut a small knotch on the top of the C clamp with a dremel tool or whatever (hacksaw) to go over the top of the pin and on my C clamp it has a indentation on the screw part of the clamp which handily fits onto the bottom of the hammer mechanism. Once you have the clamp in the right place just a simple careful turn and the spring is released enough to where it will move out of the detent on the hammer and then carefully unscrew the C clamp.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to the OP for posting this up! I've completed this conversion in both my Cynergy and Citori.....both mods were easy and worked like a charm!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Well, just got a new CXS white, going to do the mod on this one too..........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 am 
Utility Grade

Many years later... weird. Just wanted to add my thanks as well. It was harder to register for this forum than to change the springs. Here’s a working updated link to Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 46127.aspx

I just wanted to add one thing for noobs. Like me... the metal spring body part that has to come out of the wood body part was stuck pretty good in my brand new CXT. I smashed the end of a ball point pen (ink and ball removed) and stuck it where the clip part under the barrel would normal go and tapped it with a hammer towards the direction it would slide out from. Once it’s out, if you just put an old shirt or some cloth over the whole thing and rotate the silver moon like things toward the springs, the rod just pops out and into the cloth. To make it easier to install new spring, push the little metal bar that’s spring loaded down so the moon part can rotate further away from the main spring. The spring listed does fit, tight, but functions well and the barrel is much easier to open now.

I can’t believe I spent money and modded a brand new gun that I have yet to shoot - based off a message board from a decade ago. lol. But I did, and think you should too. If you decide to change it back, it’s a little more difficult to do because the original springs are much stiffer. But I am certain it can be done. I did it with the first one just to make sure before I removed the second original spring.

Again, thanks to all that took the time to share this. My bad back and I couldn’t be happier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:59 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone know if the new production BT99 Plus uses the same extractor system as the old? I am thinking hard on buying one but the ejector is the major thing holding me back. If it can be converted like this then I'll probably buy one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow. It took less than 1 minute to remove both sears on my 2019 Cynergy CX. It’s great to have extractors instead of ejectors. I will use the gun tomorrow....but I’m sure it works great as my snap caps work perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Myi7i wrote:
Many years later... weird. Just wanted to add my thanks as well. It was harder to register for this forum than to change the springs. Here’s a working updated link to Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 46127.aspx

I just wanted to add one thing for noobs. Like me... the metal spring body part that has to come out of the wood body part was stuck pretty good in my brand new CXT. I smashed the end of a ball point pen (ink and ball removed) and stuck it where the clip part under the barrel would normal go and tapped it with a hammer towards the direction it would slide out from. Once it’s out, if you just put an old shirt or some cloth over the whole thing and rotate the silver moon like things toward the springs, the rod just pops out and into the cloth. To make it easier to install new spring, push the little metal bar that’s spring loaded down so the moon part can rotate further away from the main spring. The spring listed does fit, tight, but functions well and the barrel is much easier to open now.

I can’t believe I spent money and modded a brand new gun that I have yet to shoot - based off a message board from a decade ago. lol. But I did, and think you should too. If you decide to change it back, it’s a little more difficult to do because the original springs are much stiffer. But I am certain it can be done. I did it with the first one just to make sure before I removed the second original spring.

Again, thanks to all that took the time to share this. My bad back and I couldn’t be happier.

Just to be clear, those are the springs I need to convert my new Citori CX?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 am 
Utility Grade

Yes dsohmer, those are what you need. I should have clarified that the CXT I was referring to is a Citori. Though to be fair, backs better, and I’ve gone back to the original springs. On rare occasion the springs didn’t have enough umph to pop the shell out and I had to dig them out. And sometimes they had too much and would still pop the shell out, onto the ground. After about 4000 rounds I can confirm the gun has “worn in” and the barrel drops open on its own to eject the shells. I enjoy catching them mid air now. To put the old springs back in, cut a notch in a flat head screw driver with a dremel or some other grinding wheel. Make it about 3x as deep as the diameter of the spring nipple thing, and shape it like a V. Then use the silver moon looking thing as a fulcrum to more or less pry the spring nipple thing back far enough to get it in the moon’s hole. lol. Fact, the factory springs are very strong. Good news is it’s so easy to swap out if I get back into sporties in the fall, I’ll probably change back to the limp springs just I don’t have to pick up the empties like those auto guys. Suckers. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Myi7i wrote:
Yes dsohmer, those are what you need. I should have clarified that the CXT I was referring to is a Citori. Though to be fair, backs better, and I’ve gone back to the original springs. On rare occasion the springs didn’t have enough umph to pop the shell out and I had to dig them out. And sometimes they had too much and would still pop the shell out, onto the ground. After about 4000 rounds I can confirm the gun has “worn in” and the barrel drops open on its own to eject the shells. I enjoy catching them mid air now. To put the old springs back in, cut a notch in a flat head screw driver with a dremel or some other grinding wheel. Make it about 3x as deep as the diameter of the spring nipple thing, and shape it like a V. Then use the silver moon looking thing as a fulcrum to more or less pry the spring nipple thing back far enough to get it in the moon’s hole. lol. Fact, the factory springs are very strong. Good news is it’s so easy to swap out if I get back into sporties in the fall, I’ll probably change back to the limp springs just I don’t have to pick up the empties like those auto guys. Suckers. 8)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 am 
Utility Grade

Chilly807 wrote:
This pic shows the forearm iron removed, the right side ejector hammer in the tripped position, and the end of the screwdriver I modified to remove the ejector spring. The original and replacement springs as well as the spring guide rod are shown in the background.

Followed all your advise... although the screwdriver I nodded included bending it 90 degrees.

It all works great on my 725, thank you gentlemen!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:23 am 
Field Grade

Rastoff,

Thank you so much for your instructional post on this. I just swapped out the extractor spring on my BT-99 with a 1911 FP spring and it works great.... :D !

My BT-99 is a from 1976. I had a screwdriver already cut with a slot from my S&W Armorer days and that worked perfectly for the spring removal. I also filed down a Chapman screwdriver bit to fit the narrow screw slots.

Mick

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the thanks.

Hard to believe that I started this 11 years ago and it's still being used. I'm glad I could help a little.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Finally changed my 725 to extractors today, thanks to Rastoff and all of the posted tips.

I guess every gun is different, but the part I dreaded, getting the forearm iron out and back in, couldn't have been easier.

And the original springs came right out by rotating the hammers forward.

The hard part was getting the replacement springs (Wilson Combat XP 1911 firing pin return) installed; I ended up cutting coils a couple at a time just to get the things in place. Cut 6 coils off total and was concerned that was too much, but works OK. Empties pop up and settle back down...a little too far down, but that is just trying empties without firing live...I imagine actual firing will be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Quick question about a step that I must have missed along the way.

This is on a 1985 BT-99, by the way.

I removed all three of the screws from the top, as well as the longitudinal machine screw from the front of the foreend, then removed the foreend release catch from the underside of the wood.

The metal assembly obviously slides out toward the rear and it will slide out about 3/8" before coming to a stop. The stop feels firm, like it is hitting something and it is consistent in terms of location.

That's as far as I could get it to move - what am I missing?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't recall that problem pbansen, but look at the post above from Myi7i of 2/23...that may help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

28ga. wrote:
I don't recall that problem pbansen, but look at the post above from Myi7i of 2/23...that may help.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that, but it was a little unclear and the poster was working on a Citori double, not a BT-99, so I discounted the applicability of it to my situation.

If I interpret it correctly, it sounded like his metal assembly basically would not come out and he sort of 'drifted' it using the barrel of a ballpoint pen, struck with a hammer - is that what you got from it?

What confuses me is that he says "stuck it where the clip part under the barrel would normal go and tapped it with a hammer towards the direction it would slide out from". This sounds as if he used the slot where the attachment tab for the barrel drops into the catch in the foreend and tapped the metal assembly toward the rear of the foreend, right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, I think it needed a little pry and push...he noted the iron was stuck pretty good on a new gun...yours may be just stuck from never being moved over the years.
The main thing is to use something fairly soft so as to not mar the forend.

Edit: to clarify my response, you are correct about what part he was describing that he drifted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I can see the problem now. The very front of the metal tongue is thicker (deeper) than the rest, to allow sufficient thickness for the machine screw from the front of the foreend to thread in. There is a corresponding shoulder in the wood behind this where the metal tongue is thinner and if you try to slide the whole assembly straight back, the rear surface of the thicker portion of the metal tongue hits the shoulder in the wood inletting and stops.

You somehow have to slide it back some (like 1/4") then lift the front end of the tongue enough to clear the shoulder in the wood before sliding it to the rear and out. The wood inletting is REALLY precise and it is difficult to move the metal tongue upward in the groove and once I was able to lift it a little (like 1/4" which is about how high it needs to lift to clear the shoulder), it was very snug in the groove and would not move at all to the rear using only my hands.

Using a drift of some sort and simply driving the metal tongue straight backward might shear off the wood shoulder or do other damage and would not be a successful strategy in a BT-99 of this vintage. I'm going to leave it alone for now, unless there's someone who has done this with an older BT-99 who can give me some guidance about how to proceed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Phansen,
You are correct in your assessment. The front of the iron needs to be lifted to clear the slot in the wood. Once up, it should just slide out the back.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 am 
Utility Grade

Rastoff wrote:
Phansen,
You are correct in your assessment. The front of the iron needs to be lifted to clear the slot in the wood. Once up, it should just slide out the back.

Thanks! I'll give that a try when I have a free moment!

Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next