ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Props to Browning Service Department
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I want to describe the excellent treatment I received via the Browning Service Center.
In early September my two and a half year old (5K rounds) 12 gauge citori CXS had a major trigger problem. Out of nowhere, with no logical antecedent, the gun would fire the first shot (regardless of which barrel) then nothing for the second, the trigger went limp, w/o any discernable spring tension; after two or three consecutive instances, the problem devolved so that the trigger was "flacid", loose, upon closing the action; no shot was possible. It was as if the trigger was disconnected, just flopping back and forth. Barrell selector/safety had no effect.
So, I UPSed the gun to the Browning Service Center in Missouri on September 8; the big brown truck returned the gun to me on October 9 with the problem solved. No charge was applied for this prompt and successful repair (shot three skeet rounds this morning).
I am very pleased with the treatment I received from the Browning Service center and wanted to let the world (well, the shotgun world) know.
Wooster with six Browning shotguns, likely to have seven soon

Post subject: Re: Props to Browning Service Department
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am 
Limited Edition

Did they tell you what the problem was?

tp (who always asks the why)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am 
Tournament Grade

When I asked (telephone) the rep said was "we replaced a few parts". Again, I'm pleased with the service yet wish I had a better understanding of what caused and fixed the problem.
Wondering wooster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:37 am 
Limited Edition

Thst is good to hear for anyone interested in Brownings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:50 am 
Limited Edition

I sent in a Superposed in August to have the stock and forearm refinished, and the estimated completion date is March. Will wait and see if it takes that long.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lodiwooster wrote:
I want to describe the excellent treatment I received via the Browning Service Center.
In early September my two and a half year old (5K rounds) 12 gauge citori CXS had a major trigger problem. Out of nowhere, with no logical antecedent, the gun would fire the first shot (regardless of which barrel) then nothing for the second, the trigger went limp, w/o any discernable spring tension; after two or three consecutive instances, the problem devolved so that the trigger was "flacid", loose, upon closing the action; no shot was possible. It was as if the trigger was disconnected, just flopping back and forth. Barrell selector/safety had no effect.
So, I UPSed the gun to the Browning Service Center in Missouri on September 8; the big brown truck returned the gun to me on October 9 with the problem solved. No charge was applied for this prompt and successful repair (shot three skeet rounds this morning).
I am very pleased with the treatment I received from the Browning Service center and wanted to let the world (well, the shotgun world) know.
Wooster with six Browning shotguns, likely to have seven soon

It probably just needed a good cleaning of the trigger piston, trigger piston spring, and their recess. A dunking of the whole receiver (minus the wood stock of course) in a pan of mineral spirits (solvent) followed by a light lubricating oil would likely have fixed the problem.

These guns are typically shipped from Japan with some type rust preventative on the metal parts (as are most guns) and sometimes this stuff becomes gunked up if not adequately cleaned and lubricated. Just cleaning the bore and wiping off the metal parts you can reach with an oily rag doesn't get the job done.

Glad you got it fixed though.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses is right about the cleaning as the gun's breach shone like new. If I had to guess which parts were replaced (recall, the fellow I spoke with said something about a few parts), I'd vote for the trigger plunger spring, but really it's all beyond my understanding. Prior to sending to Browning, I did remove the stock, expecting to find visibly broken pieces in the action/trigger yet all looked good with no discernable gunk or grit. For me, the mechanism was/is too complex to mess with so no action was attempted on my part.
Again, I appreciate the prompt service from Browning and will consider adding another Browning to the herd when "new gunitis" bites me.
Wooster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

lodiwooster wrote:
Ulysses is right about the cleaning as the gun's breach shone like new. If I had to guess which parts were replaced (recall, the fellow I spoke with said something about a few parts), I'd vote for the trigger plunger spring, but really it's all beyond my understanding. Prior to sending to Browning, I did remove the stock, expecting to find visibly broken pieces in the action/trigger yet all looked good with no discernable gunk or grit. For me, the mechanism was/is too complex to mess with so no action was attempted on my part.
Again, I appreciate the prompt service from Browning and will consider adding another Browning to the herd when "new gunitis" bites me.
Wooster

Sooo...tomorrow?

tp (with the same consideration)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Manana, maybe; more likely in the black Friday buying binge. I have four 12 gauge target guns (the CXS, a 725 Citori Skeet, a BT-99 and a Beretta DT-10) but only one 20 gauge (an excellent Citori XS Skeet - 40 K rounds and still busting birds) so I'm thinking a 32 inch barrel CXS 20 gauge would scratch the new gun itch.
Wooster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
I sent in a Superposed in August to have the stock and forearm refinished, and the estimated completion date is March. Will wait and see if it takes that long.

That seems long even for Browning.

I talked to a local guy who is a genius related to anything wood on a gun. I was thinking of having my 725 refinished and he said 8 weeks.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:36 pm 
Limited Edition

xsshooter wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:

That seems long even for Browning.

I talked to a local guy who is a genius related to anything wood on a gun. I was thinking of having my 725 refinished and he said 8 weeks.

I called and talked to them about rebuilding the action on a Superposed Broadway Trap, they said plan on 6 months.
When you send a gun in for repair you get a service number and a password, you can check the status of you gun. No work has started on my gun yet.
But I was prepared for this when I sent it in. If they do a good job, I can live with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:44 pm 
Limited Edition

lodiwooster wrote:
Manana, maybe; more likely in the black Friday buying binge. I have four 12 gauge target guns (the CXS, a 725 Citori Skeet, a BT-99 and a Beretta DT-10) but only one 20 gauge (an excellent Citori XS Skeet - 40 K rounds and still busting birds) so I'm thinking a 32 inch barrel CXS 20 gauge would scratch the new gun itch.
Wooster

I caught myself perusing SxS's. A BSS would be nice. Oy.

tp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:18 am 
Tournament Grade

With the BSS, Browning made another great gun. In this era of companies folding it's encouraging to heft the weight of Browning's catalog, sort of like the big mail order company's Christmas wish book when we were kids.
Wooster with a joke - Recipe for a honeymoon salad ? Lettuce alone with no dressing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am 
Field Grade

I've used them several times and always experienced good quality and reasonable service. It can be frustrating sometimes to wait, but every time, they've completed the job well before the estimated turnaround time.