ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about forcing cone and ported barrel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:23 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a Browning Satin Hunter, 28" barrel. I'm thinking about having the forcing cones and barrel ported to reduce recoil. The reduced recoil is the only reason I'm doing it.

My question is (for those of you who have done this to the Citoris), is there any difference? If so, how much? Is it worth the cost?

Opinions please.......

thanks, jed

Post subject: Re: Question about forcing cone and ported barrel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I doubt that you will notice much difference in recoil from either or both of the procedures you mention. I would try several other things first: a good recoil pad, lighter loads, add weight to the stock and/or barrels, add a recoil reduction device. You don't state your intended use of the gun, but if you are shooting clays, nothing will substitute for weight; typically target guns weigh 8 to 10 lbs while hunting guns such as yours weigh under 8 lbs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 am 
Presentation Grade

dlh711 wrote:
I doubt that you will notice much difference in recoil from either or both of the procedures you mention. I would try several other things first: a good recoil pad, lighter loads, add weight to the stock and/or barrels, add a recoil reduction device. You don't state your intended use of the gun, but if you are shooting clays, nothing will substitute for weight; typically target guns weigh 8 to 10 lbs while hunting guns such as yours weigh under 8 lbs.

I was thinking about making the Citori my clay gun, but I would also use for dove hunting. I am no professional by any means, but I shot a Beretta Onyx yestereday with ported barrels and forcing cone work it was nice. The recoil was very noticealby different.

thanks, jed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Obviously I can't compare the two guns without seeing them, but there was probably more difference there than the forcing cones and the porting. It could be the difference in the way the guns fit you or a difference in the overall weight. Is the Beretta a sporting model (target gun)? If so you aren't comparing apples to apples. I just doubt that longer cones and ports are going to significantly reduce your felt recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

dlh711 wrote:
Obviously I can't compare the two guns without seeing them, but there was probably more difference there than the forcing cones and the porting. It could be the difference in the way the guns fit you or a difference in the overall weight. Is the Beretta a sporting model (target gun)? If so you aren't comparing apples to apples. I just doubt that longer cones and ports are going to significantly reduce your felt recoil.

The only markings I saw on the Beretta was "Onyx." However, the barrel length is 32 inches....so it has to be a sporting model (target gun) I suppose.

jed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lengthening the cones & porting the barrels on a field gun is not going to make it recoil like a target gun. I notice you are also posting on the general forum on this subject; you have gotten good advice there as well. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

dlh711 wrote:
Lengthening the cones & porting the barrels on a field gun is not going to make it recoil like a target gun. I notice you are also posting on the general forum on this subject; you have gotten good advice there as well. Good Luck.

Yeah I posted there for general consenus. I was hoping someone here had actually ported, etc. a Citori like mine so I could get a better understanding.

thanks, jed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have Kick's High Flyer ported choke tubes for my Silver. I notice there is less recoil and less muzzle jump when firing 3.5" mags. With target loads I can't tell the difference, but it shoots so soft either way, why bother?

As for the forcing cone. Your gun has an overbored barrel already so I don't see how lenthening the cone would provide you with much, if any, improvement in pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:56 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

See this illustration I made and posted earlier.

You might calculate the bore reduction from that little .006" change per side, and the area reduction difference of chamber vs. the bore is rather small. The amount of residual forcing cone is a lot more than most might suspect, since you can see that it is probably as much as 5 times the amount of cone left as the amount of change by the backboring operation.

Some previous postings of mine have touched on the details and effects shooters recount from having my super-long forcing cone work- definitely not a conventional forcing cone lengthening job.
Realize that a forcing cone alteration can be anything but generic, so any decision solely based on obsolete 30 year old book data or price might be shortchanging your potential.

Other postings have delved into the effect of shorter shells in longer chambers, porting, and other points of interest for shooters.

[email protected]

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:38 pm 
Field Grade

I looked into this a few years ago. Most gun owners responded that there wasn't much if any difference. All the gunsmiths said it would make a world of difference. I left it alone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 pm 
Field Grade

Jed1894,

If you haven't got the answer you were looking for yet. this should help.
I have a 525, forcing cones lengthened, ported and a gracoil reduction system with a kickeez pad on it.
I could shoot 300 rounds 1 1/8 shot and not feel a thing,,, BUT!
The porting is to reduce muzzle hop, so when you want to take the second shot on true pair supposed to help.
The forcing cone lengthened to assist the wad full of lead by giving it a little futher to go before compressed down the end of the barrel and to minimize lead distortion which, the rounder the pellet, the further and more true it flies.
So, neither of these really contribute to less recoil(perhaps small amount)
The weight of the gun, the Gracoil reduction system, and also the dram weigth of powder in the shell.
Hope I helped.
Good luck