ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Something old, something new....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Ok so the new thing is old too....just new to me.

For those of you that followed tyhe project of the ressurection of "Droopy" there was a successor project. That one is just about done with just a minor updates left to do. Now and there is a new basket case on my bench and this one is going to be a real hard nut to crack.

First here are the three guns in question:

"Droopy", Serial number 22,629, a 1906 all parts original even the forend which is the proper style with the finger groove stopping before it gets to the front of the forend. The forend was held together with copper straps for about 50 years, I repaired it but the stains are there forever. The barrel is numbered to the gun, marked Cockerill Steel and it has an FN barrel address.

Almost done, Serial number 12,658, a 1904 gun with the original stock and a replaced forend. The owner had it back to the factory a couple of times for updating as a mag cut off and 2 peice lifter were added and the safety is the 1906 and later style. I just got a 1 piece lifter and the proper "suicide" safety to swap out. The wood is plain jane but fits well. The barrel is numbered to the gun, has an FN barrel address and is marked Acier Special.

Just starting (and the real reason I'm writing this to kick off the project) Serial number 4149, it is the 28th gun finished in 1904 so strictly by the calendar it is a second year gun....but as it was made in the first 90 days of production considering I'm considerning it a first year gun. The barrel is numbered to the receiver, is marked Cockerill Steel and it has the "Browning Automatic Arms Co. Ogden Utah USA" barrel address as the first production run.

It has issues, there is block under the bead, but it is the full 28" long and there is no mark from the block being removed....so I'm wondering if the first guns had no block? There is a big chunk busted out of the breech clock and the rails are sheared off one side of the latch so I need to find a replacement. The mag tube is beat up from an earlier effort to remove it. The end of the action spring tube is broken off. There was a crack in the receiver that was welded and will need some work. It is missing a bunch of internal parts and my stash of spares is going to be pummelled. Now the worst part.....no wood. It came with a Model 11 forend with about $100 worth of oil in it at todays prices. I have several straight stock in the stash but I'm not sure that any are really the right character for this gun. They are either too plain or too fancy.

Picture to follow.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, writing this drivel helps me organize my thoughts. Happy St. Patricks day to all.

Jeff Mulliken

Post subject: re: Something old, something new....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:27 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Gotta love that bag of parts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

Did you notice the big chunk busted out of the breech block?

Also many of you have probably never seen the fine threads on the old mag tube. Modern mag caps will not fit.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Something old, something new....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello folks,
Hopefully your still receiving updates for this thread.
I wondered if you could help me to date my oldy FN shotgun which should be similar to the abovementioned ones. At least the markings and the the receiver are similar.
Clearly is for the EU market and I think it is from 1904. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this

Thanks

pictures are here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ULKo7UaNcxey4qU8A