ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My "Superposed project"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had long been looking for a Browning from the "old" Fabrique Nationale (FN) in Belgium.
Finally I managed to grab one, so this "Game gun" from 1969, became the starting point for my "Superposed project" :D

Project Plan!
My plan is to make some changes so that the gun seems to fit me and my "strange" perception of how a FN Browning should look like.
I would however humble respect for the original designs, choose to hold me close up of a contemporary models.

mvh.
Swift

Post subject: Re: My "Superposed project"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, you may do as you please, but swan-bellied Superposed's are kinda rare...hate to see this one discarded for a "normal" butt stock.
But, you bought it, it's yer gun...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

As Scotty said, "It's your gun", but it is rare, so I would think long and hard before I altered it in any way! Me hope is that you will leave it as is and do a restoration/preservation project on it. The old gun deserves nothing less, or more as the case may be. If you want one to look like a contemporary model, just buy one, they are very easy to fine.
I would love to find one like that!

I know the quality of your workmanship and you are capable of restoring it to it's original glory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Swift !!! Welcome back !!
I would imagine that stock would slap you hard in the cheek each time you pulled the trigger, even though it is a super !! Given the results of your last A5 project I can't wait to see what your skilled imagination comes up with.
I prefer the round knob, but I personally prefer a slim schnabel style fore end. Since a lot of American guns were plagued by salt wood problems during this production era, a lot of them here have been restocked, and now commanding 90% of prices the non-salt wood guns. I agree with the gentlemen above that is definitely an unusual style stock, one rarely seen over here, but it looks like a wisdom tooth loosener to me !!
I could be wrong, have your shot it yet?
What are some of your initial ideas? ( outside of starting with a gorgeous piece crotch feather walnut) oil finish? Recoil pad? Monte Carlo? Custom checkering patterns?
or are you wanting to stay in period factory production parameters??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Well maybe I just got a poor taste. :)

I think a side by side is beautiful with a strait stock, but I don’t think it suits an O/U! – But ill keep the original stock and fore-end so it’s possible to changes back.

I got an old (1963) Superposed as a loan. I’ll use it as model for the new stock, made of Turkish walnut.

@ txrick55: no I haven’t shot with it yet.

Swift

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 am 
Crown Grade

Swift wrote:

I think a side by side is beautiful with a strait stock, but I don’t think it suits an O/U! t

Maybe so, IYO, but the handling with a straight grip is outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've owned a lot of shotguns and still have some I don't ever want to part with. When I came back home to Scotland from London in 1973, I saw a Browning shotgun, in the local gunsmith's. It was the same as the model you have now, only it was called ' Swan Neck' or later 'Roach belly" stocked' Lightweight Game.
I was into clay shooting at the time and 'bought' a Browning 'Broadway' which was about the same price, i.e.; far more than I could possibly afford!
The Broadway went back in very short order as I couldn't keep up the payments.
I still regret not having bought the Lightweight Game. I still want one. Please keep the original wood - I still reckon it's perfectly proportioned as it is. Simply superb!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

The target forend is not the favorite "over here". A project Superposed often involves trashing the pistol grip stock to be replaced with a straight grip, with the trigger guard the most expensive part of the project. Your trigger guard should bring you a good price on ebay. My 32" Midas project gun would have a straight grip stock today if I could have figured out where to get a trigger guard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am 
Tournament Grade

@junco - Here is one from Denmark: http://www.guloggratis.dk/sport/jagt-fi ... s=1#images

Swift

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 am 
Crown Grade

I would change the stock and forearm if you want. Just don't get rid of the original stock and forearm. This way you have what you want. A gun the fits and a gun with resale value.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the Danish link, Swift. Too bad Browning chose to market the shiny crap they catalogued in the seventies in the USA. If straight grip A-1s had been in the catalog, we would all own five of them. The first generation US Grade 1 Superlight was a fair imitation of the European A-1, but most were 26" and had the terrible rounded frame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I found a blank of Turkish walnut via”Chiron” (HunterBid.com) especially for this project.
The blank was roughly cut so it could contain a rifle stock. It gave me a good chance to choose where I want to place the cutting lines for the shotgun stock, with regard to the grains in the wood.

I made a couple of patterns from the model, and cut the walnut out on a bandsaw.

Swift

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Great choice on the Walnut, that is gorgeous. I knew you wouldn't disappoint us !!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Swift wrote:
@junco - Here is one from Denmark: http://www.guloggratis.dk/sport/jagt-fi ... s=1#images

Swift

Thanks, but this is a straight hand stock. Anyway, fell for a Sarriugarte last week and have just been to my local club and had a quick 50 to check for function etc., under lights, in the rain. Love it, but it seems to be ammo fussy as is the 20 I used to have, now the property of my future son in law! Failed to fire first time but OK the second time, same shell.
I'll try and post some pics of both. I was asked to post pics of the 20 a while ago but I can't figure it out. However my daughter will be home from university next weekend so we'll see.
Sorry, just realized I've probably hijacked this thread! Oh well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I suddenly understand your concerns about my plan about chancing the stock and fore-end.

Its right the value to get an original Superposed as it left the FN factory is gone, but I purchased this gun one and only with the purpose to chance it to a gun that obliged my idea how an FN Browning should be to fit me. But don’t worry, I’ll keep the original stock and fore-end so it’s possible to changes back to the original look.

junco wrote:
Sorry, just realized I've probably hijacked this thread! Oh well!

Well there should always be room for small deviations in a tread junco, so I don’t consider it as hijacking. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Good luck and can't wait to see the Turkish walnut! Thanks for saving the old stock!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:29 am 
Tournament Grade

My next step is to adapt the stock to the action. The tool I use is: Hacksaw – Woodcarving tools and Files

As you can see on the picture, I have moved the centre for the processing, to the left side of the block. It will later give me more room for “Cast-of”

When the parts fit perfect together, I was marking-out, and drilled the hole as went from the action and behind the stock. It’s important to count (if so) with “Cast-of” to get the hole in the centre of the stock
Then the action and the stock can be bolt together from the back with the through-going screw.

The next step is the rough grinding of the outlines. This kind of work make a lot of abrasive dust, so I’ve moved out to my firewood shed. A rough grinding wheel it’s a easy and quick way to bring the stock close to the final shape.

Of course I’m very conscientious by not to get to close and not touching the metal parts with the grinder.

When I feel that the shape is nearly there, I lay down the grinder and go further with chisel and rasp.

Swift

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow, that is cool. Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Swift,
When did you start this project ? You seem to have an awful lot of work done since the first post describing your plan only a few days ago.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am jealous and mad.... :evil:

I want to be able to do this and I just don't know how... :D

But its fun watching a real craftsman do something...