ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Invector DS Chokes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

Hello To All: I am planning on purchasing a Browning Citori 725 Feather, 28" barrel, 20 gauge. There seems to be some controversy on the Invector DS chokes it comes with. Anyone have any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a difference in patterns/accuracy between the flush invector DS chokes and the extended invector DS chokes?

Aloha To All!!!

Post subject: Re: Browning Invector DS Chokes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I didn’t have a good experience with my 12 gauge DS chokes. My shooting acquaintances with 20 gauge 725’s, all shoot after market chokes. But ... my recommendation is to give the chokes that come with your gun a fair chance on a good pattern board or paper. Be sure to use quality loads. If the patterns don’t suit you, replace them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 725 20 ga is a Sporting. I have two 12 ga 725's, one sporting, one field. I like the extended chokes best but don't ask me to explain why. I bought Muller's for the 12 ga guns and would have for the 20 but they are not offered. The thing I found out about the DS chokes are that they provide patterns tighter than you would expect. I found IC/IC the way to go out to handicap distance.

Forget measured constriction, forget markings, better to pattern your guns. Just like Blaser F3's, it is my understanding that Briley makes all Browning chokes. If I remember correctly, the Browning manual points out that the chokes provided tend to pattern tighter then the numbers indicate.

I have had discussions with others on this list about 20 ga choke measurements in the choke and on the pattern board. I certainly don't have vast experience but my impression so far is that 20 ga provide patterns tighter than the markings would indicate.

Last but not least, it is my experience that premium ammo (AA, STS, and the like) patterns significantly tighter than gun club and the like.

FWIW

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

No need to rush out and buy replacement chokes. I've been shooting a 725 three or four times a week for about 5 years and I have no interest in replacing the factory chokes. As others have said, pattern your gun. If you don't want to do that and instead shoot one constriction tighter than you otherwise might, that's fine too.

A good reason not to replace the factory chokes is that double seal brass ring really does keep the crud out of the threads and keeps them from loosening up. I've never had one loosen or tighten over many, many rounds. The aftermarket chokes don't have that ring. Browning patent I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

With regard to the brass ring, I have Briley tubes that don't have it, and don't notice any difference in junk on the threads or them loosening up any more than the factory chokes, YMMV

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:32 am 
Field Grade

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:42 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Hawaii Gerald wrote:
Hello To All: I am planning on purchasing a Browning Citori 725 Feather, 28" barrel, 20 gauge. There seems to be some controversy on the Invector DS chokes it comes with. Anyone have any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a difference in patterns/accuracy between the flush invector DS chokes and the extended invector DS chokes?

Aloha To All!!!

The 12 gauge chokes are a disaster-- they don't perform as marked. The 20 gauge tubes are better. Both are made not by Briley, but in France by who-knows.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Hawaii Gerald wrote:

Aloha To All!!!

The 12 gauge chokes are a disaster-- they don't perform as marked. The 20 gauge tubes are better. Both are made not by Briley, but in France by who-knows.

They are hardly "a disaster." You may want to shoot one constriction tighter than you otherwise would. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My scores can't tell the difference either way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

clarion wrote:

They are hardly "a disaster." You may want to shoot one constriction tighter than you otherwise would. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My scores can't tell the difference either way.[/quote]

They clearly are, in 12 gauge. In 20 gauge, the situation improved as it did with the A5 SS to a degree. The pattern board proves it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
clarion wrote:

They are hardly "a disaster." You may want to shoot one constriction tighter than you otherwise would. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My scores can't tell the difference either way.

They clearly are, in 12 gauge. In 20 gauge, the situation improved as it did with the A5 SS to a degree. The pattern board proves it.[/quote]

No it doesn't. I've patterned them. Calling the 12 gauge chokes "a disaster" is hyperbole.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Personally, I didn't have an issue with how the chokes patterned, but I couldn't stand that they were mismarked, with the exception of the full which patterns like a full.

If you can keep track of how they pattern vs. how they are marked, I don't see an issue with keeping them.

I do like the color coding on Briley tubes, makes it easy to see what is in the barrels.

Again, more of a mental thing, but to each his own.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

20 gauge DS chokes are good. Bored to expected standards. Try them before buying aftermarket..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

clarion wrote:
No it doesn't. I've patterned them. Calling the 12 gauge chokes "a disaster" is hyperbole.

It is called the truth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:23 pm 
Limited Edition

All chokes should be labeled with the amount of constriction and nothing else. The shooter should decide which one to use based on patterning or results. The popular terms for choke, IC, Mod, IM, etc. have outlived their usefulness. If shooters can’t figure it out they should go golfing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have few Trulock chokes for my 725, they don't have the brass ring and they stay as clean as the factory DS, nor have they ever loosen up on their own.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DKW1 wrote:
All chokes should be labeled with the amount of constriction and nothing else.

That's not possible unless all barrels, everywhere, that the choke fits have the same identical inside diameter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
DKW1 wrote:

That's not possible unless all barrels, everywhere, that the choke fits have the same identical inside diameter.

Good point!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am 
Field Grade

I have a 725 sporting and replaced the factory chokes with Briley. Everybody's mileage will vary depending on numerous factors, but you should for sure pattern them and see how they look. I would agree with what others have said and they don't seem to match up to what I was expecting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:23 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
DKW1 wrote:

If I buy a Browning shotgun with three chokes, Browning should label the three chokes that come with the gun with the constriction. Not some outdated term that may or or may not reflect the chokes performance.

If Briley the offers an aftermarket choke to fit that Browning shotgun, they should label that choke with the constriction.

If the bore diameter for some reason varies a small amount, constriction would still be a more relevant value than ic,mod,etc. If the bore diameter varied any substantial amount, aftermarket chokes would not fit.

How can a manufacturer claim the mod choke they provide with their shotgun will pattern mod when they have no idea what the customer is going to use for a cartridge ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DKW1 wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
DKW1 wrote:

If I buy a Browning shotgun with three chokes, Browning should label the three chokes that come with the gun with the constriction. Not some outdated term that may or or may not reflect the chokes performance.

Who does? I've had 12 gauge barrels that measure from .711 inch inside diameter out to .732 inch . . . that take the identical choke tubes.