ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1972 BT 99
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:20 am 
Limited Edition

Was looking for an older BT 99 for a while when I happened upon a 1972 with straight trap stock and 32" full choke. This shotgun was in as new condition and I can't tell you the price as you would not believe me. Must have been a safe queen for a long time.

Anyway, I was looking for a Monte Carlo or adjustable comb stock and a full beaver tail forearm. Wow, I would have to pay more than I paid for shotgun.

Anyone know a source for a good original stock set?

Post subject: Re: 1972 BT 99
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

offthehook wrote:
Was looking for an older BT 99 for a while when I happened upon a 1972 with straight trap stock and 32" full choke.
Anyway, I was looking for a Monte Carlo or adjustable comb stock and a full beaver tail forearm.

Hi:

I'm a little confused when you said you want a "full beaver tail forearm".

As far as I know, every 1972 BT-99 would have already been factory-equipped with the beavertail forearm . . . that was the only forearm style available from 1968 through 1975. The deep, blocky "Competition style" forearm wasn't introduced until 1976. Is the Competition forearm what you actually want? If so, you're going to run into some other sticky problems trying to retrofit a Competition forearm to a 1972 gun.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 am 
Limited Edition

Jeff,

You are correct. I used wrong term. The competition style forearm was what I was looking for. Figured it could fit. Anyway still looking for sources. Been searching found some but more exensive than I had thought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Gotta say I'm surprised at the cost of BT99 wood. You might try vendors at large trap shoots. You could maybe pick up a take-off stock for a good price. Another thing you might consider is a pad adjuster that you could adjust to give the fit of a monte carlo stock. like this....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 pm 
Limited Edition

offthehook wrote:
Jeff,

You are correct. The competition style forearm was what I was looking for. Figured it could fit.

Please note that BT-99s have been produced in two major "generations".

Gen 1 was made from 1968 to 1995 (so, your 1972 BT-99 is definitely a Gen 1).
Gen 2 is what's currently being made . . . from 2001 to the present.

Buttstock
The buttstocks are quite different between Gen 1 and Gen 2. The Gen 1 guns have the long-tailed tang on the trigger guard, with a corresponding inletted channel in the stock's grip area to accommodate it. Gen 2 guns don't have the long tang on the trigger guard, so the grip area of the buttstock is definitely different. The major point is that Browning has not produced any new Gen 1 buttstocks since 1995, so if you're looking for a Browning-manufactured buttstock that's in new unissued condition, you're going to pay a lot for it. Used/dented/abused Gen1 buttstocks are out there at varying prices. Whether you get an unissued one or find a used one, they usually require some fitting/glass bedding for acceptable fit. Buttstocks and forearms were matched to their gun at the factory (gun's serial number is stamped into the wood).

Competition forearm
Unfortunately, you can't simply buy the wood only and swap it out. Since the Competition forearm is a lot deeper (top to bottom) than the beavertail forearm, it requires its own unique set of forearm latch parts . . . a different base piece (Browning calls it the Takedown Lever Bracket), taller screws, and the matching taller latch hook. All of these parts are basically obsolete. Even if you find them, they'll probably require some fitting to ensure they properly engage the lug on the barrel and lock the forearm assembly correctly in place.

Sorry for all the discouraging news.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/