ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting gun on gun auction.....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I saw this this morning, thought it might be of interest to someone here.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15579798

I am not well versed in browning (this may even be a remington?) but the engraving, low serial number and the straight grip stock were interesting.

What can anyone tell me about this gun?

Post subject: Re: Interesting gun on gun auction.....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 am 
Diamond Grade

It's a Remington would be nice to restore but not at that price

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

It’s got a Remington barrel, but it’s an FN/Browning from the first year of production, 1903. The earliest guns have a different Locking Block and Barrel Extension and barrels from just a few years later won’t fit. How they made the Remington barrel fit I don’t know, but the mismatch destroys the collector value.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am 
Presentation Grade

The engraving is what stood out to me, do you think its factory? The wood also looks like it may have some nice character under a hundred years of wear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I’m pretty sure that was a factory engraving option, but I believe that in 1903 FN sent the guns to local artists to be engraved. Still counts as “Factory”. I like the stock too, too bad about the barrel. And whatever they changed internally to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Theres a first year browning barrel on ebay right now, I had a 1904 browning that had a Remington barrel on it didn't look like any changes to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am fascinated by the 'non-standard' engraving patterns on Superposed and Auto-V's. The engraving could be part of the history of the development of the FN design/engraving studio. Assigning a value to such unique and/or undocumented patterns is another matter. Sometimes you just have to take a chance on an item of fascinating curiosity if it appeals to your taste. There is safety in adherence to a norm (standard patterns) but adding something unique can really enhance and set a collection apart. Dare to be different but develop and trust your instincts (reason).