ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Pictures-Discussion - Engraved Superposed & Other Browni
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anatidae wrote:
It's not unusual (in my limited experience) for a Gr I Express rifle to be signed...…..mostly by relatively unknown FN engravers. There's another one on this thread (posted by 'cartod') signed by Emile Gregoire and I've seen one signed by Willy Rollin.

Common sense tells me those engravers are relatively unknown because the need for engravers steadily declined from 180 in the 60's to 16 in 1987. During that decline, FN would've naturally kept the best engravers that could turn-out any production grade (FN and Browning). It would stand to reason there was little room for advancement if your only capability as an engraver was a Gr I level, as the workforce and demand for Superposed guns diminished.

Interesting observation . “ Up or Out “ many of them must have seen the handwriting on the wall and moved on. I’m sure some stuck with engraving and advanced their careers outside of FN either abroad or here in the states.
Thank you for the observation on the number of engravers and the shift in the tide.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the acknowledgements. I re-thought this statement.....
Quote:
It would stand to reason there was little room for advancement if your only capability as an engraver was Gr I level, as the workforce and demand for Superposed guns diminished.
…….and should add, …….
Quote:
regardless of your capability as an engraver.
You could have demonstrated the ability to execute the Midas grade (for instance) to an acceptable standard, yet the engravers with long-standing seniority had secured the privilege to execute the more difficult (and higher-paying) patterns, especially in a declining market.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Thanks for the acknowledgements. I re-thought this statement.....
Quote:
It would stand to reason there was little room for advancement if your only capability as an engraver was Gr I level, as the workforce and demand for Superposed guns diminished.
…….and should add, …….
Quote:
regardless of your capability as an engraver.
You could have demonstrated the ability to execute the Midas grade (for instance) to an acceptable standard, yet the engravers with long-standing seniority had secured the privilege to execute the more difficult (and higher-paying) patterns, especially in a declining market.

Makes perfect sense . I would hazard a guess , as with any corporate environment that there would also be the usual teachers pets and brown nosers that would garner the bosses favor. It would be interesting to know who left FN and found success on their own .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you for the excellent information and dialogue, Anatidae. {hs#

Captjsjr poses an interesting question:
Quote:
It would be interesting to know who left FN and found success on their own .

We all know that Angelo Bee left and found success in the USA. But I agree with Captjsjr, it would be interesting to know who else left and where they ended up.

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

CFB , there’s a good project for you . Take the names of the engravers in Schwing from say ‘65 on and run a google search on them.
And please let us know what you find !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28