ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Browning A5 16 Gauge Serial Number Date Guide
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi,
1,3 mm is a LOT of choke, but we must remind at this time paper hulls and fiberwads was they have,
1,6 is even more and i have never herd of a choke so tight ??
Your -38 sweet have a 0,35" choke +\- some thousand, but it's way tighter than a 0,20" (0,50mm) modified, how does that barrel Pattern??
/Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Thank you very much, Goad. But you give me way too much credit.

Peter, I get home tonight so tomorrow I’ll get the calipers out and check the Chokes on my 16’s.

Rudolph,

From what i remember my -69 Light 16 ( sweet with crinkle finish) have a true 0,40" (1,00mm) constriction, also the -54 i fell in water with have a 0,40" choke as guns have before plastic wads came. But the barrels i started the diskussion with was way more open than i espect, especially the spare sweet barrel i bought from a Swede who bought a 16 from Germany with and extra barrel, he keep the orginal plain and fairly tight choked barrel and offered me to by the spare when he need cash, my plan was open it to 0,20" ( 0,50mm ) but when a check show me i have a 0,70mm somewere in middle of 0,25 - 0,30" I havent deside if i should let i be becouse i also have a 0,80mm choked sweet barrel, and i use it right now actually ( im hunting Golden eyes in East coast Sweden) that tight barrel is great for cripples on water.

/ Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Peter,

I don’t know if my results indicate chokes that tight or my incompetence with the calipers. For the record, I measured a Cylinder choke barrel and got about 16.7mm.

You ask how they pattern, well, life is too short to count 460 holes in a 30” circle. I load spreaders for the Full and Modified barrels and they break birds at Skeet just fine.

As for your barrels, if you already have a tight choke, it sounds like you should have one less so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stateside you all are consern of the ” walue ” and keep it orginal .
I need my guns functional and walue came second , bit i have e wide range of different choke barrels right now, but for my owerall hunting @ 35-40 yds 0,15” LM works fine

/Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

A kind of sunshine story ...

16g auto 5:s actually brings people closer,
Becouse when i investigate how to and wher to find parts for make my -53 16g to a speedloader i got contact by a SGW member who wanted to help me, and we have since that talked to eatch other of all and nothing and off course auto 5:s, and in this january he will join me for a week of Golden eye hunting in East coast Sweden on some islands i Own .
It will be great fun and we have no bag limits and can still shoo lead 8)
/Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

That sounds fantastic, Peter. But, I didn’t think there was any sunshine in Sweden in January.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
That sounds fantastic, Peter. But, I didn’t think there was any sunshine in Sweden in January.

It's a Swedish expression " Solskens historia " But you have a point, this is the gray and dark period, but some days sky is blue and sun shine and its a real joy out there.

/Peter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Just cuz it’s a little dark and dreary is no reason not to shoot. We used to shoot skeet all winter in Fairbanks. Lot less riff raff around that time of year plus at Ft Wainwright they gave out patches for shooting a complete round at 40 below zero or colder. Wouldn’t do it now but we thought it was fun at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

I’ve never experienced -40 below 35,000 feet, but when it’s 10 degrees our group shrinks from 8 to 3. I’ve found I’ve got to keep the bolt closed on my Auto-5 to keep it warm enough to function.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

4stfire wrote:

Am I the ONLY ONE that noticed that the steel friction ring should be on the other side of the bronze one with the flat side against the recoil spring? Also, the beveled part of the bronze piece should face toward the barrel loop.

It is incorrectly placed in picture #4 and would do no good there, and in fact cause major wear to important internal components plus recoil much more than normally.

So we can notice all the various nuances between models but setting up its recoil mechanism totally wrong is over looked?!

Too nice a gun to mess up by something as simple as that! Please tell me you have NOT been shooting it that way!!

Last edited by oyeme on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

[quote="Rudolph31"]I’ve never experienced -40 below 35,000 feet, but when it’s 10 degrees our group shrinks from 8 to 3. I’ve found I’ve got to keep the bolt closed on my Auto-5 to keep it warm enough to function.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/B60rtFs.jpg[/img][/quote]

I don’t recall having any equipment problems at those temperatures. Learned to leave the guns outside in the back of the truck till done shooting then bring em inside to warm up a dry them off and oil things up. When ever you brought them inside they grew lots of frost depending on the humidity. We always shot Citoris and superposed and my old model 11 20ga now and then. Sure sounds a lot different at those temperatures when you shoot. Sounds like shooting inside a feather pillow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Oyeme, Good catch! No, I have not been shooting it like that. When i bought the guns I brought them home and took pictures while tearing them down for the first time (in the dining room, don't show the wife these pics). I then went completely through the guns before bringing them out and firing the expensive Bismuth that was also recommended. Honestly I did learn about the friction ring placements on Art's website when I visited though, glad i watched and thanks for directing me towards his site. As I said in my first few posts, I am new to the Browning A5 (A3) and am still learning so I did some research and will continue. Any helpful hints, tips, and tricks are always well received! Please remember that at some point we are all beginners.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

PM Sent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:27 pm 
Limited Edition

"Been a while" bump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 pm 
Field Grade

BTT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all. I’m new to the forum and a new owner to a 1946 x browning 16ga
With a cutts compensator. My question is what keeps the wad from opening up
In the compensator before the choke? When I took it apart to clean I noticed the diameter inside the compensator is substantially bigger inside than the choke it self at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:15 pm 
Crown Grade

A plastic cup wad doesn't really start to open until it's a few feet from the muzzle encountering sustained air resistance. The short gap of a Cutts isn't long enough.

Cutts, for all their aesthetic challenges, generally produce nice patterns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your reply, I can’t wait too go shot this. I haven’t shot an a5 before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I bet you will find it functions fine but it should have new recoil spring if it has not had one in recent times. They are not expensive and readily available. They are key to keeping that action from battering itself. Check Midwest Gun Works or Brownells. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm 
Crown Grade

mi-fordson wrote:
Thanks for your reply, I can’t wait too go shot this. I haven’t shot an a5 before.

Read the friction ring thread (near the top of the forum) to get a better understanding of the A5 function. Set to heavy first.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next