ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best years for Citori?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's new when you're new.

tp

ATI Cavalry 12g (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

twohigh wrote:
This must be old thread week.

Well the guy who resurected it calls himself Past Master.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 am 
Utility Grade

I just received my newest (To myself) Citori last week! It is a Grade I Hunter Model, which was manufactured in the year 2000! It is a 12 gauge and wears 26 inch barrels (One of the major reason that I purchased it... I just like them, and I currently did not own this configuration).
The other reason that I purchased this particular Citori, is that it appeared to be someone's "Safe Queen" previously, and that enables me to own an older "New" gun, which is one of my favorite types of guns to collect! I just purchased a single shot Stevens model 940A, in 16 Gauge, simply because it looked brand new! I doubt that I'll ever opt to take it hunting, since quite frankly... I have much better options to choose from, but I thought that it needed a good home!
This is precisely how we gun collectors occasionally come across guns that are decades old, but show no wear, or even maybe are still in the box! We buy them, keep them, maintain them for a few decades... Die, and then someone else takes over their stewardship!
This Citori Hunter has the older Hunter's Model Beaver Style Forend! High Gloss Finish on both the wood and the metal! When I compare the bluing to my newest Citori, which is a 2009, 3 1/2 inch, White Lightning... The bluing on the Hunter Model has a much deeper tone than the 2009 gun, and is a little more shiny, although the 2009 Model bluing is better than most other guns in its class by comparison! The 2000 Hunter Model just seems slightly better built from an esthetic point of view... Not mechanically!
I cannot however compare the wood of these two guns fairly, so in looking at some of my older Citoris' and BSS's... The wood is more of an issue of chance, than it is by time period! I've had older Brownings with beautiful wood, and some with lacquered plain Jane walnut! My 2009 White Lightning has by chance some beautiful figure, especially in the butt stock, and its stain finish has benefitted greatly by several applications of "Clenzoil!"
The bores of every Citori that I own, or have owned, are mirror bright, but this 2000 Hunter Model's bores are the brightest that I have ever seen! While we've been surreptitiously moved away from the older gun fashions and styles, our new guns no longer look like pieces of fine furniture. I can vividly remember the days when every duck hunter would buy a beautiful brand new Browning Auto 5, and take it duck hunting! Many would even spray their new guns with camouflage paint! Sacrilege... In my book!
The question remains... "Do they make them like they used to?"
The answer is... "Yes, and No!"

"Happy Hunting!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 am 
Utility Grade

I am actually an old new guy... Been off for years, joined back in 2004, and forgot my password, got busy... You know the drill! Past Master refers to my Masonic affiliation. I am sixty years old and have been shooting since I was ten years old! I love to learn and to teach as well!

God Bless...

Bill