ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning B2000 Experience
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

slidellkid wrote:
Also, it's a 2 3/4 inch gun. If I buy a magnum barrel for it will it handle 3 inch shells?

Yup. Enjoy!
Dave

http://www.thesunontheweb.com
http://www.thegunowner.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:06 am 
Utility Grade

dbuffington wrote:
As many of you know, I’m a gun renter. That is, I try to buy guns at a good price, play with them for awhile and then sell them for close to what I paid. If there’s any loss, I simply think of it as a rental fee.

This allows you to get a lot of experience with a lot of different guns at a minimal cost, and after a few short days, I’ve picked up a lot of experience with the B2000. To start …

- All the dire warnings about the unobtainable plastic parts in the B2000 are exaggerated … if not completely false. The B2000 has three plastic buffers, and all three are readily available, in both 12 and 20 gauge versions, from Midwest Gun Works.

Now, I was prepared to replace all three in my 1975 B2000, but when I took it apart, I found that wasn’t necessary. The plastic parts were neither brittle nor damaged. I took them out, cleaned them up and wiped them with ArmorAll. They should be good for another 38 years

- The gun I bought has a 3-inch barrel, and I assumed it would still handle 2-3/4 inch shells with a bit of adjustment.

Well, you know what happens when you assume. Sigh. Even after giving the gas system a good cleaning, it still wouldn’t reliably cycle 2-3/4 inch shells. Anyone out there have a 2-3/4 inch, 20-gauge, B2000 barrel you want to get rid o

In regard to the 20 ga. they were all 2 3/4" 3" chambers and all you have to do to shoot low brass 2 3/4" lads is turn the gas pistonover so that the concave portion is facing the

- However, I’ve learned that there are a lot of 3-inch, 20-gauge loads available. Primarily hunting loads, but loads for clay games too. (For example, see http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/39802)

I also assumed – again, sigh – that you shouldn’t shoot steel shot through the B2000. Wrong. Unlike the classic Belgian Browning A5s and Supers, the B2000 “will accept all current factory steel shot loads except those with T, F, BB and BBB size shot ….” (See http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... asp?ID=128) And many of the 3-inch, 20-gauge loads are as stout if not stouter than popular 12-gauge loads. So you can get 12-gauge performance out of a 20-gauge gun.

- But don't those loads make the B2000 kick like a mule? Well, I guess that's where all those buffers come into play. It's really quite pleasant with 3-inch loads, no better or worse than my Maxus with target loads.

All of this makes the B2000 a much more useful and practical gun than I expected. (But I’d still like one of those 2-3/4 inch barrels.)

That’s today’s report. Stay tuned.

I own both a 20 ga. and a 12 ga. B2000... My 12 ga. has a skeet receiver with a rib on top and two barrels and case, purchased when stationed in Germany in 1982...
I shoot it now and then in sporting clay's and dove hunt's, the 20 ga. I have probably killed 7000 quail with it with no malfunctions at all.. Both guns have never failed me..

Softest shooting guns I have ever owned and I need soft because my shoulders are very bad off from 22.6 years of Army time..

I would never sell either one of them... Even though I'm an old dude now I still kill quail now and then with my 20, in fact I will pull it out for a hunt before my model 101 20 ga. because it just flat arse shoots... The Blueing is wrone off from my right hand holding it as I walk ...

The only mod I have made to the 20 is I cut that stupid arse rubber recoil pad off at the white space because it kept hanging up on my vest on the covey rise..

Peace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Solution to your problem. Iv done this to several B2000 magnums.
Take off the barrel and the Lug attached to the barrel has a single hole in it. That hole can be opened up so you can shoot 2 3/4 " shells.
The regular barrels that shoot 2.75 shells has 2 holes drilled in them. The magnum barrel has one. Just drill out that hole 1 drill size at a time till it cycles the shells you want to shoot. I find it takes at least 2 sizes larger to start cycling 2.75 depending on the load.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:41 am 
Limited Edition

After 7 years, Dave’s B2000 thread gets resurrected! I’ve got about 45 years experience with these guns and as a lefty, I can say, there is no finer shotgun for us southpaws. And I shoot left handed Remington 1100’s and 870’s too! I’ve owned a gazillion of these guns and still have 9, I think, including a high rib Trap gun and a pair of 20 gauge skeet guns. I shot thousands of registered Trap targets with one over the years and have taken some to Argentina (20ga) and given them heavy workouts. They’ve never failed me. These guns are very trim as autos go because the gas mechanism is contained INSIDE the magazine tube. It’s a bit complicated but easily understood. Parts are still available from several sources but more expensive then they were 7 years ago. This was Browning’s first attempt at a gas semi automatic and would probably be considered a commercial failure with only 120000 or so manufactured. Only about 40,000 were 20 bores. These guns are all steel and real French walnut stocks with real engraving. They are quick pointing, soft shooting guns that everyone just seems to shoot well it. I guess you could say I’m a fan!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm a fan of the B-2000 as well.

When there's a 'flush' or 'flurry', I grab the B-2000. I'm right-handed, so my grip hand stays on the gun while I reach for shells in the pouch and load with my left hand - then up to the forearm for the next 2 or 3 shots.

The internals are not as susceptible to fouling as the inside of the barrel lug. Once it starts to corrode, then you've got problems with gas leaks and cycling issues. I have a 32" trap model and my wife has a 26.5" 20ga skeet model with 3 extra bbls for various chokes and loads.