ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any idea what model Browning this is?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:47 am 
Field Grade

I don't have the gun but was sent the following images. I'm completely in the dark here as the serial number has an unusual format.

Appreciate any help. I'm thinking of buying it for use as a field gun.

Attachment:
full.jpeg

Attachment:
serial.jpeg

Attachment:
engraving.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Any idea what model Browning this is?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:20 am 
Presentation Grade

That is a 1980 production FN ‘BO’ Grade Superposed Broadway rib.

Judging from the Monte Carlo-style stock configuration it is likely a 'parallel' comb, and probably 1-1/2". This is a popular 'target' configuration and typical of this Grade as suggested by the 'flying clay' target as the subject matter in the engraving.

Serial number = 02703
Product code = 8J3
Year of Manufacture = PM (P=8, M=0) - 1980

So the full serial number under the opening lever would read - 8J3PM02703

I can't provide any definitive information about the FN product codes for Superposed - yet. Perhaps some of our Australian or European counterparts can provide some insight.

I have seen product codes 8H3, 8J3, 8K3, and 8L3 (the highest 'letter' code - typically on 'factory' plaques latérales or side plate models - not upgrades). The highest numerical prefix is '9' in 9K4, which is on a FN side plate pattern called 'Time'.

The earliest 'BO' I've encountered has an '893' product code prefix and 'RP' year code (1978).

Is the FN Superposed fairly common or uncommon in South Africa? Do you ever run across any FN product catalogs, or literature, or advertisements in sporting magazines?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am 
Field Grade

Wow Anatidae, blown away by the detail of your reply. It gave me lots to Google.

I have never seen a Superposed, but I live in a small town in South Africa. There are two clay clubs about 45 minute drive in either direction but they don't sell guns. A few of the members have older Brownings but I have never heard them mention superposed before.

From the sound of it 'BO' grade is perfectly acceptable. Broadway rib is a wide rib. The flying clay is now easy to see (I thought it an old powder horn *insert embarrassed grin*)

So this is not a field gun but actually a clay gun, and 1980 is not that old (I have two older Perazzis which are significantly heavier).

I guess the question is will it work for an annual partridge shoot where we walk behind dogs for hours on end. My Perazzis are a lot of work to carry. I'll have to go weigh it. Barrel markings are *- and **- ( 3/4 and 1/4) which are fine for me.

$600 sound a fair price?

Thanks again.

Attachment:
chokes.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

You're welcome.

$600 in what currency? Rand? $600 USD for that gun would be a STEAL!

I would say it is well-worth $2800 USD / £2,250 GBP / €2,500 Euros - but there's not a great following of FN Superposed here.

Depending on barrel length and Stock length (wood density), I suspect the BO Grade weighs closer to 7-3/4 to 8 pounds (3.5 to 3.6 kg).

This will be slightly lighter than an '83 MX3 34" top-single with adjustable butt/comb and mercury recoil reducer @ 9lbs 6oz or with 32" O/U bbls @ 9 lbs 3oz. (4.17kg)

No, I can't imagine lugging the 9-lb MX3 on a partridge outing behind dogs. But I think a gun in the 7.5 lb range is a good balance between 'carry' weight and quick recovery for 2nd shot with 1-1/8oz game loads. It could also be used for other clay target disciplines (with 24-28gram loads) without punishing the shoulder.

Yes, Broadway rib is the 16mm wide affair. It was to help keep the gun 'level' during the swing so sight-line relative to trajectory-line were not skewed. The standard FN Trap rib is 8mm.

The chokes on the BO (3/4 and 1/4) are my ideal chokings for medium to large upland birds. Other adjustments can be made with choice of loads employed.

Happy Hunting, mate! Let us know how you make out on the deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 am 
Field Grade

Ok, I told the seller that it is a deal (yes USD equivalent in Rands). He bought it several years ago but licensing laws here are draconian and he has never been able to license it, has never shot it himself. I think he is selling for what he paid for it.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Outstanding! Congratulations!

I'm also curious (if you care to share this information)…..What is the barrel length?

I'm not sure what was available on that particular gun. I suspect 70cm was most common (in that period) being a compromise between 67 and 71cm. But 67cm, 71cm, and 81cm may have been other available options. 70 & 76cm would bring a higher re-sale value (IMO) than 67cm or 81cm.

I'm also interested in the weight

……..and if there is an engraver's signature.

A signature may be found on the bottom near the trigger.

Otherwise, a signature often appears near the bottom right-hand corner of the receiver (viewing the left side) near the cocking lever pin in the tab/extension that protrudes into the butt stock.

Thanks for sharing the gun and the excitement of your new acquisition.

You may have to 'adapt' to the parallel comb for hunting, even if the length of pull fits you. The BO may shoot a little higher than what you're use to with the Perazzi. I have the MX3 set-up where I have to cover the target (for optimal follow-thru and solid breaks). If I haven't shot it for a while (particularly after shooting a B25 Superposed at trap), then I tend to shoot 'low'. With the B25's, I have to actually 'see' the target when the trigger is released (on trap). Otherwise, that approach works well on upland and sporting clays (for me).

Last edited by Anatidae on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 am 
Field Grade

I'm hoping to test it this week so will measure barrel lengths and weight then. Will also look for a signature.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 am 
Field Grade

Well it took over a year to get my gun registered before I could take ownership of it. I didn't get to try the gun until quite recently.

It's got 76cm barrels (29.9") and fits me perfectly as is. I shot a round of Compak sporting this past weekend and managed a score of 21/25 which for me is really good.