ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BPS Upland Special???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I just recently bought a Browning BPS shotgun and when I looked closely at the serial number it looks like the 1st of the last 3 digits of the serial number was changed from a T to a B. I did a little research and the gun was sold as an upland special which I thought should have a U52. It has an English stock and 22" barrel with full engraving on both sides of receiver. Is anyone aware of any instances where the gun company would have made a mistake and changed the serial number or do you think a previous owner altered it? Thanks

This is what the Serial Number appears to be: ##### ## B52, but you can clearly see a line extending from the left of the B making it appear it used to be a T.

Last edited by kellerkb on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Browning BPS Upland Special???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but love those BPS uplands. Just a shame in the UK we gave a stupid law that requires pumps and semi's must have a 24" or more barrel.

D'oh!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

kellerkb wrote:
Is anyone aware of any instances where the gun company would have made a mistake and changed the serial number or do you think a previous owner altered it?

If that was mine, I'd record the serial number exactly like the seller/FFL had done, and if it's a "B", so be it (no pun intended). And yes, the maker could correct a mistake, as long as the final number matches all the paperwork and was a unique number.

kellerkb wrote:
...or do you think a previous owner altered it?

That would be a felony, I believe, and could imply some nefarious complications.... For you too... So you'd better hope not! (As you wouldn't want to be found in possession of stolen goods, with an altered serial...)

I'd delete all the #s from your post, the image and the whole posting, if it was me.

Call me a little paranoid? OK, maybe...

But personally I never post images of serial # or complete serial #s online. If trying to age an old S&W revolver, for example, I'd say it's a "Model 19, blue, 6" barrel, serial #1234###" and others can usually tell the approximate born-on date from just the first digits.

Old No7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Old No7, I agree with you about not posting entire serial numbers, you brought up some valid points. Hoping to hear back from the Browning company as well! I appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:02 am 
Tournament Grade

I forgot to tell you...

I had both a 12 ga and 20 ga Upland Specials until recently. I sold off the 12 to fund a 12 ga Citori which is much better suited for clays. I don't hunt ducks or geese too often, and I can use the 20 (over decoys) when doing that.

The Upland Specials were described to me as having the "handling of an O/U" only with the longer action length and shorter barrels. They're not for everyone, but they are different and sorta unique; but to me, they always hit just as hard as any other shotgun. And I shot pretty well with them too! With the straight grips and short 22" barrels, they were better for quick shots on jumping game versus tracking a long flight of a clay target. With a camo gun sleeve and extra full choke tubes, the shorter length was also really handy for turkeys too. Plus, as my son is a lefty, the top tang safety and bottom ejection made them highly ambidextrous.

All around great guns -- enjoy!

Old No7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:43 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, new to this site. I just purchased a used BPS which fits the description of your BPS exactly ! Was wondering if Browning ever got back to you on this. I e-mailed Browning customer service asking for info but they have yet to reply. the model designation doesn't correspond with any model they list. Thanks for any help!