ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first Superposed! - Solid rib 20 gauge
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey folks,

I've been shooting an Auto-5 Magnum Twelve for the past 8 seasons and I picked up a 12 Gauge Citori Lightning a couple seasons ago, and while they're both great for waterfowling, their weights leave a little to be desired in an upland scenario. I picked up a first year Citori 16 gauge last spring and while it had all the potential, I just couldn't hit birds like I wanted to with it. There was a 12 Gauge BSS in there too sometime :roll:

So I started a search for a Superposed, it seemed like a "logical" progression. I initially was looking for an early RKLT 2 3/4" 12 gauge either Skt/Skt or IC/Mod, I have a solid rib Auto-5 with a Cutts Spreader tube that is a bad news for anything that flushes in front of my little Springer, and I prefer the open chokes for grouse around home. I was looking pretty hard at a IC/MOD gun when I happened upon a "Browning St. Louis O/U" on a used gun dealers site. Intrigued, I clicked on the link and when I saw that solid rib, my knees went weak. I don't know what it is about a solid rib that gets me so wound up, but they just seem to look "right" to me on Brownings. Then I saw it was a 20 gauge with 26.5" barrels with 2 3/4" chambers. I figured it just had to be an upland wand

I called the store up and asked about the used Browning they had their website. After I convinced them that I didn't mean the 725, the conversation started going places :roll:

"I can't tell for certain from the pictures, but it looks like a solid rib, is that right?"
"Umm...yeah, I guess. It's got the old style rib without the vents"

"Can I get a serial number to date it?"
I can hear the fella shuffling around.
"There isn't one, it's pretty old"
"If you move the top lever to the right, is there a number under it?"
"Oh...2723" (I believe that puts it 1950?)

"What is it choked?"
I can hear more shuffling
"I can't get the forearm off, it's stuck"
"Just break the gun open and look on the left side"
More shuffling
"It's full"
I don't consider myself an expert, but I know that's not how Browning marked their chokes, so I said
"It says full?"
"Yup, full"
"For both barrels?"
He hesitates
"Ummm....yup"

I figure that he hasn't really answered any of my questions right and that he doesn't know what he's looking for. Which is fine, we can't be experts at everything, but...

It's more than I wanted to spend, but still about half of what I normally see 20s go for, so I decided to take the risk. I read somewhere that when they came out, that a decent job could pay one off in a couple months...and this one cost me a single pay cheque as a Millwright Apprentice.

That's my dog's look of approval

That's the worst of the wear. I don't even think it's in the wood, it's just the finish "cracking"

It doesn't have a lot of wear on it

But I will admit that I was wrong in him not knowing what he was talking about for the chokes. I'm going to measure them to make sure, but it definitely is a bit of a bummer for me.

Now I have to stock up on some lead loads for grouse and if I'm not mistaken, I even have a couple boxes of Kent TM #5s that would turn this into a dandy (pardon the contradiction) fair weather duck gun.

Initial thoughts are this is a winner and the best part is, no Buckmark on the triggerguard ;)

Cory

Post subject: Re: My first Superposed! - Solid rib 20 gauge
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

You can load up or buy some PolyWad SpredR loads. They have worked well for me. I bet you can get it to shoot IC/IC with those. That is a really cool looking old 20 gauge. Dang, some guys have all the great toys!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

Congrats on a great buy no matter the price. I got my first twenty recently choked half and full. Spreader loads is my plan.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=486580
/Erik

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Nice gun !!! I’d love to shoot it. One day I will find one.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's a fine looking old Browning and I would love to have one like that in my gun safe. Now about your chosen profession. When you finish your millwright apprenticeship come on down here to Florida and I'll put you to work. I oversee anywhere between 5 to 25 contract maintenance people on any given day in the largest chemical complex in Florida and a good millwright is just about unheard of here. When I find one I'll just about pay him to be here every day even if I don't need him.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Cory , Congratulations ! You now have what I consider to be one of the finest upland guns ever built. I own several 20 Supers in different choke configurations and shooting them always gives me the greatest pleasure.
I think you’ll find the spreader loads ( and playing with various other loads) may just give a broad range of versatility.
I do feel obligated to warn you that Superposed can be quite addictive if left unchecked :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Let us know how things work out with the various loads {hs#

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I took it out to a gravel pit to shoot last night

What a fun little gun to shoot. You definitely had to be on the bird with those tight Fulls, but when you hit them, the dust cloud was pretty satisfying.

I live in a small town and haven't owned a 20 for a few years so had to buy a box of shells. I kid you not, a single box of Remington Game Load 7/8 of #7.5 shot was $33.75 :shock: Time to order a couple cases...holy jumping

captjsjr wrote:
Cory , Congratulations ! You now have what I consider to be one of the finest upland guns ever built. I own several 20 Supers in different choke configurations and shooting them always gives me the greatest pleasure.
I think you’ll find the spreader loads ( and playing with various other loads) may just give a broad range of versatility.
I do feel obligated to warn you that Superposed can be quite addictive if left unchecked :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Let us know how things work out with the various loads {hs#

Thanks for the warning on the additctiveness of Superposeds. I am a gun nut, but the fact that I'm a duck hunter at heart and the fact you can't shoot steel out of them is going to keep my collection small...at least I hope, I can only live on Mr. Noodles for so long :wink:

oyeme wrote:
You can load up or buy some PolyWad SpredR loads. They have worked well for me. I bet you can get it to shoot IC/IC with those. That is a really cool looking old 20 gauge. Dang, some guys have all the great toys!

Scollopax wrote:
Congrats on a great buy no matter the price. I got my first twenty recently choked half and full. Spreader loads is my plan.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=486580
/Erik

My plan now is to load up some kind of spreader load. Being in Canada makes sourcing components a little tougher, but I'm sure I can get something together by fall.

floridaford wrote:
That's a fine looking old Browning and I would love to have one like that in my gun safe. Now about your chosen profession. When you finish your millwright apprenticeship come on down here to Florida and I'll put you to work. I oversee anywhere between 5 to 25 contract maintenance people on any given day in the largest chemical complex in Florida and a good millwright is just about unheard of here. When I find one I'll just about pay him to be here every day even if I don't need him.

I don't know if I qualify as a "good" millwright, but that offer is pretty tempting :mrgreen:

Cory

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Cory. Look like you still got some weather up in the Iron range. Did I read your price right on a BOX of shells ? I remember prices were pretty high in Thunder Bay the last time I was there ...25 years ago. Wow !!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 am 
Tournament Grade

captjsjr wrote:
Cory. Look like you still got some weather up in the Iron range. Did I read your price right on a BOX of shells ? I remember prices were pretty high in Thunder Bay the last time I was there ...25 years ago. Wow !!

We got about 6" on the weekend and more coming down last night. I'm heading to Sunny southwestern Ontario next week to look for some Gobblers (with a BPS to keep it Browning related).

Yup, that was for 25 shells...I like supporting local business, but holy buckets it's hard sometimes.

Cory

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 am 
Limited Edition

Great find Cory! As a 16 Citori fan myself, gotta ask if you still have that one laying around?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
Great find Cory! As a 16 Citori fan myself, gotta ask if you still have that one laying around?

Nope, sorry, it was sold to fund this gun.

Cory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Howdy folks,

A bit of an update on this gun. The first time I took it hunting, and only the 2nd time shooting it, I had a heck of a good morning (4 ducks, 3 Sharptail and 1 Jackrabbit)

And in the afternoon, rounded out my 8 duck limit

I also took it out a few times around home for Ruffed Grouse somewhat successfully.

My issue lies with non-tox shells for ducks. I shot up my supply of Kent TM and I noticed on a couple I had pierced the primer. I detest Cheddite primers in my stackbarrels, but Kent is the only option I can find in Canada so I've decided to take up reloading for the 20. I've reloaded cases and cases of shells in the 16 and 12, but never the 20. If I remember correctly, the TM was 1oz of 5s at 1350. I checked my Lyman book and I can get 1oz of Bismuth at 1300, which I can live with. My supplier only has #4 bismuth though. I'm too young to have shot lead, so I'm a little out of my league with anything besides steel. I figure that upping the pellet size, but sacrificing a bit of speed should be okay.

On the other hand, if anyone has any pet Bismuth 20 bore 2 3/4" loads, I'm all ears ;)

Cory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

Great little 20-gauge. Some years ago I picked up an early 20-gauge with 28-inch vent rib barrels, 1108. According to Glenn Jensen, the then Browning historian, it along with 248, was shipped to Stanley Andrews Sporting Goods in San Diego in May 1950. Been on the look out for 248 ever since!

Here is the 1950 Superposed flyer --

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Great looking gun-also great to see it being used!