ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding Choke Tubes to Fixed Choke Citori?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 pm 
Field Grade

Is it possible to have screw in chokes installed in a late 70's Citori that has full and extra full fixed chokes?

If so who would you pick to do it?

This is a trap model Citori with 32 inch barrels.

Post subject: Re: Adding Choke Tubes to Fixed Choke Citori?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 am 
Field Grade

I've used Carlson's the same people that sell chokes https://www.choketube.com/ give them a call, they will likely ask you for outside barrel diameter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Briley in Houston is a standard choice for many. They are also choke makers besides being full service shotgun smiths. Full disclosure requires me to admit I have never had this work done. The other types of work I have done there have been excellently completed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 am 
Crown Grade

One does not necessarily have to use a choke maker to have barrel threaded for chokes. Mike Orlen, a moderator here, has an excellent reputation for doing the work you want done. His rates are very reasonable as well. Give him a call and see what he says.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
One does not necessarily have to use a choke maker to have barrel threaded for chokes. Mike Orlen, a moderator here, has an excellent reputation for doing the work you want done. His rates are very reasonable as well. Give him a call and see what he says.

+1, Mike does excellent work, and his turnaround time for me has been incredible. You can find his contact info in the price list posted at the following URL:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 12&t=36237

FYI, this is an old price list, so the costs may have changed. It has also been my experience that he responds more quickly to phones calls than to emails.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

Of course that is true. Not only choke makers do the work. It is just that the two mentioned are well known for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most likely it is going to require the Briley thin wall chokes. They do a very good job and it is a fine choke system. I have had work done by Mike Orlen, Carlsons, and Briley with good results from all. But for that job I think the clear choice is Briley.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike Orlen knows Citori's well. I called him about adding chokes to my 70s Citori 4 barrel set and he told me that the he could not put conventional chokes in it, but Briley could do thin walls. I would give him a call.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the feed back, I don't own this gun but have been considering it and weighing my options.

I've been looking for a single, double barrel set for trap shooting but was hoping to find one with screw in chokes. So just trying to get an ideal of the cost to make this the gun I want or just keep looking for one that already has all the options.

I would really like to have an adjustable comb and recoil pad.

Sometimes you can spend more trying to make it what you want than just finding it already equipped to your wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 2 cents after buying/selling/trying a bunch of shotguns . . . In the long run, you're almost always better off buying what it is you really want, rather than try to make something else into something close to what you want.

I've done the thin-wall choke thing. Had Mike Orlen put thin-walls into an old Miroku over/under. I never had a lick of trouble with the chokes and Mike did a great job, but I cringed almost any time I unscrewed the chokes and saw just how thin that barrel became.

I'm also not a fan of adjustable combs and recoil pad systems. Whenever I see those on a gun offered for sale, I move along to the next auction or gun in the rack. I'm not interested in somebody else's "fix." Also, with few exceptions, when I see these guns at the club, they're never set far off from normal. It just seems so unnecessary to permanently alter a perfectly good gun. I don't know why people do that stuff . . . If you're 5 feet tall, or have a freakishly long neck, maybe. Otherwise, just don't do it.

I get that top-level competitive shooters need tricked-out/custom fitted guns, but typically those guys aren't pinching pennies or worried about cost. If you're a weekend enthusiast, my suggestion is that you save your pennies, and buy one of the the Browning SHOT Show special guns like the CXS or CX. Or look for a decent used 325,425,525, etc. with Invector Plus chokes from the factory. When you factor in the cost of having an older Citori threaded for tubes, plus the price of a handful of tubes, you'll realize that your total cost on the upgraded used gun is pretty close to just buying a new gun. If you factor in resale potential, there's no contest.

ETA: I reread your post and saw that you're a trap shooter. That changes things a whole bunch. Trap is a one-trick-pony type thing. You don't need a lot of versatility in a trap gun. Tight chokes, long barrels, stock that fits. Go. If I were looking for a DEDICATED trap gun, I'd definitely consider the various old-school fixed chokes double on the used market. Actually, I pack along an old Remington 870TC trap pump gun when I know I'm going to shoot trap. The word "dedicated" is the key. If you're looking for something to use for other games, a modern multi-choke gun makes more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 pm 
Field Grade

Great advice Bladeswitcher

Kinda my thoughts and adding the chokes to an older Citori was not the way I wanted to go I just happen to run up on a nice older trap one that had the single (34)and O/U (32)barrels but fixed chokes. You know how it is , just thinking of making it a modern setup for Trap to get all the goodies.

I was thinking I could very well end up spending as much as I could get a new one or close to new that had all the features I was considering. You are right as I'm just finishing my first year of trap that I shot with a SKB O/U and enjoyed quite a bit. I'm just looking for one that's more dedicated to Trap than my current one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

you can also just open up the chokes. Mike can do the job as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chocolab wrote:
you can also just open up the chokes. Mike can do the job as well.

Exactly. Sometimes there's just not enough "meat" on a barrel to allow for choke installation, so the alternative is to simply open up the bore to something more acceptable. I once had an older Weatherby Orion 20 ga. that fit into this category, and Mike opened both barrels up to IC, and for cheap money as I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LawDog324 wrote:

Kinda my thoughts and adding the chokes to an older Citori was not the way I wanted to go I just happen to run up on a nice older trap one that had the single (34)and O/U (32)barrels but fixed chokes. You know how it is , just thinking of making it a modern setup for Trap to get all the goodies . . .

Why do you need screw-in chokes on a trap gun? Aren't you just going to put in an improved Mod or full and forget it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
LawDog324 wrote:

Kinda my thoughts and adding the chokes to an older Citori was not the way I wanted to go I just happen to run up on a nice older trap one that had the single (34)and O/U (32)barrels but fixed chokes. You know how it is , just thinking of making it a modern setup for Trap to get all the goodies . . .

Why do you need screw-in chokes on a trap gun? Aren't you just going to put in an improved Mod or full and forget it?

For an O/U that's to be used in singles or handicap only, you would be correct. However, for doubles many prefer IC or LM for their first shot and a IM or Full for their second shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have you considered the cost of getting chokes installed?

I just looked at Briley's web site.

O/U; Both barrels done with flush chokes, comes with 5 , $499 for lead compatible. $749 for extended steel compatible. Plus shipping cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:

For an O/U that's to be used in singles or handicap only, you would be correct. However, for doubles many prefer IC or LM for their first shot and a IM or Full for their second shot.

A fella could pick the tighter preferred constriction for both barrels and have the chokes opened up. If he didn’t like the results he could have them opened more or opt for thin walls later.

Last edited by Bladeswitcher on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

LawDog324 wrote:
Is it possible to have screw in chokes installed in a late 70's Citori that has full and extra full fixed chokes?

If so who would you pick to do it?

This is a trap model Citori with 32 inch barrels.

There is no way I would consider putting a nickel into barrel work on a trap gun until I patterned it extensively and knew what pattern percentages it actually threw. A marking on a barrel doesn't tell you that. It avoids the "fixing what isn't broken" syndrome.

For trap, having chokes that never need to be checked for tightness, can never shoot loose, and have no threads to clean is a hard thing to lose without a really good reason.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Chocolab wrote:
Have you considered the cost of getting chokes installed?

I just looked at Briley's web site.

O/U; Both barrels done with flush chokes, comes with 5 , $499 for lead compatible. $749 for extended steel compatible. Plus shipping cost.

Lot of that is the chokes. IIRC the thinwall flush chokes are about $70 ea and the extended are closer to $100 or $110. I'd like to replace all my flush chokes with extended but I could almost buy a new bbl for what it would cost.

I have a Beretta 686 with Briley thinwall chokes. Never had any issues. I use it mostly for pheasant and waterfowl now.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

Lot's of good information to consider

1. I shoot trap more as a hobby than to compete, but like most I want to preform well.

2. I found this Citori and while it did not have all the features I want, it did have some features being a single barrel and O/U combo.

3. Trying to get an ideal of what it would take to add features and at what cost should I feel the need. I was most concerned with the Full and Extra Full fixed chokes.

4. I'm not in a hurry to make a purchase, just looking for the right deal.