ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adding Choke Tubes to Fixed Choke Citori?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, I've used Mike Orlen numerous times. Once he installed thin-wall chokes in an old Miroku over/under. Otherwise, I've used him for opening the chokes on side by sides. Every time his work was great and turn-around has been fast. His prices are reasonable, too.

I haven't check his price list lately (it's in a sticky post in the gunsmithing section) but he used to charge $50 per barrel for opening chokes and only a bit more than that for threading. He offers a discount for SGW members.

If it were me, I'd pattern the gun, shoot some trap with it, and see how I was doing. Once I was confident that I needed a change, I would have Mike gradually open one or two (or all three) barrels, depending on what I decided. I'd do this in the interest of going slow and avoiding decisions I might regret later. You can always take out MORE metal. It's hard to put it back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree with Bladeswitcher.

I offer the following comments (for what they are worth) to your considerations, listed
LawDog324 wrote:
1. I shoot trap more as a hobby than to compete, but like most I want to preform well.
Depending on one's definition of performance you can either chip away for 'score' or develop solid technique that will produce good scores under a wider variety of shooting conditions. The latter obviously takes more time. Whether choke tubes or fixed chokes will be more advantageous depends on your schedule and expectations.

Quote:
2. I found this Citori and while it did not have all the features I want, it did have some features being a single barrel and O/U combo.
You don't have to have a single barrel. If you think you need a single barrel - you might consider having IT fitted with choke tubes. I believe extended chokes could be installed whereas extended chokes are probably not compatible with the older Citori O/U's - that's why they recommend Thin-wall chokes. I don't believe you can install extended tubes in the fixed-choke Citoris - I KNOW you can't (per Briley) in a Superposed.

Quote:
3. Trying to get an ideal of what it would take to add features and at what cost should I feel the need. I was most concerned with the Full and Extra Full fixed chokes.
Good idea! That would concern me, too. I suggest saving time and aggravation - go get what you really want, with everything you think you'll need.

Quote:
4. I'm not in a hurry to make a purchase, just looking for the right deal.
I can appreciate that, but what are we trying to save here...….$200, $300, $500? If you modify the Citori, it will always be a modified Citori. If you HAD to sell it for any reason, re-sale value will probably be diminished the more you modify it. By the time you send the gun off to have all this stuff done (and re-bored if it's not enough the first time), you could be enjoying a new gun already set-up to be that versatile gun you are hoping for without all the headaches. Good instincts are developed through a series of poor decisions. It's a win-win! :lol:

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:25 pm 
Field Grade

Their have been so many great thoughts and comment on my questions, that I have decided to look for what I really want and not try to turn something into what I want.

I don't know that I need a combo trap gun with a single barrel and a nice O/U will do anything I need.

I do want to get some adjustability in the gun and be able to make it fit me better.

Thanks to all that have interjected their thoughts and suggestions as they have been well received and much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Regardless of the gun you choose now, if you are like most you will try and want others as you progress. I would advise looking for a quality used gun that you can shoot before buying and won't lose your shirt on when you decide to sell or trade. Fit, comfort and shooting to the desired point of impact are far more important than chokes. One rule pretty much covers choke selection: use enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:03 am 
Field Grade

Once again thanks for all the great input and advice.

I have decided that for my use a true trap gun with the features that I was looking for, mainly fit adjustment was the best route to go. I'm pretty sure that trying to modify an older gun to what I thought I wanted was not cost effective.

I have found and worked out a deal on a used 725 Pro Trap that seems to fit what I was looking for with the exception of having a mono barrel with the O/U set.

I have gone back threw 67 pages of the Browning forum which took me into 2014 and tried to read the 725 threads. The only area that seems to get repeating comments is the trigger/ firing pins, mostly the bottom barrel and sub gauge tubes, which I have no plans for.

When it arrives and I get a chance to get out to the range I'll let you know how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Please do.

And your acknowledgment of folks' interest, time and efforts to help is a very classy, gentlemanly gesture many take for granted. Kudos!

Good luck in your new endeavors.