ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me Double Auto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Wasn't really looking for one, but happened upon one at a local gun show, couldn't resist. I think it'll make a nice shooter. 30 inch barrel, Full Choke, Simmons vent rib.

In the last two years I've discovered the clay sports. Started with sporting clays, then Trap, and now Skeet. I was trying to determine the year of manufacturer. From what I've found on the net, I think it's 1954. Hoping maybe someone else would be able to confirm. C8556

I cleaned it up, and tried it for a round on the trap field, 23 ouf of 25. I really like shooting it. I was wondering, however what may be done as far as a shell catcher, or deflector. It really seems to send the empty a good ways. I don't mind picking up the shells, but don't wish to hit fellow shooters to the right, on the trap line. I did try a couple large rubber bands. It kind of worked, but made getting the shell out difficult, without a struggle. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for any direction/help

Post subject: Re: New to me Double Auto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome, there are some folks here who can be more help on the date than I can. I shoot fairly light loads in mine, they don’t get thrown as far.

What does one rubber band do ? I’ve never seen anyone use two.

They are sweet shotguns. Put a photo up. I have a steel and an aluminum receiver, both black.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the welcome. I was going to try to post some pictures, but was having difficulty. I haven't yet figured that part of the posting out. I believe it said they were to large.

If you put a rubber band, a thick heavy one, in front of the bolt handle it captures the shell in the receiver. I have only been shooting remington gun clubs, so far. They are the light 8`s, 1150 fps, 2 3/4 dram equivalent. They still seem to fly past the next station to the right.

Mine is a steel receiver however.

This has been said before, I know. What a addiction! First model 12's, got have more than one. Now it's double auto's.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Serial number C8556 would be 1954 (7201-10800) the 'C" is for steel receiver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the confirmation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is no shell catcher for the DA. You are stuck with the rubber band or have a buddy squad to your right, if he doesn't mind the flying hulls. For serious trap shooting, it is not the model of choice. For some fun events, it is a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, I had searched quite a bit on the net, hoping maybe someone had another idea, or solution. I realize that it's a classic, that's not been made for a year or so. But I was hopeful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 pm 
Field Grade

i bet its nice for target duty, having the steel receiver and 30 inch barrel. love carrying and pointing my twelvette!

66 double auto 26 imp/28 full
18 cz bobwhite g2 12ga/trulocks
19 cz drake 20ga/trulocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 am 
Field Grade

I do like shooting them targets. Mostly shoot model 12 trap. Don't seem to have much trouble with recoil with the winchester. But comparatively the double auto, seems quite a bit softer. I was excited when I happened on to the steel receiver, knowing I was wanting to shoot mostly targets. Now it seems I need a twelvette, then a twentyweight. My wife is been very understanding so far, but I feel a intervention may lurk in the future.

Working on getting some pictures to post, seem I need to resize my photos. Looking at apps to do so. Don't currently have a personal computer. Working off of a Samsung tablet, android base.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 pm 
Field Grade

See if I can post a picture

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:34 pm 
Field Grade

Serial numbers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

I understand that all the trigger assemblies were aluminum. But, am surprised the color wasn't black. Should I think the assembly was replaced at sometime?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:44 pm 
Field Grade

Simmons vented rib.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm 
Field Grade

I didn't think there looked like a lot of wear in the loading port.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 am 
Crown Grade

That gun looks like new! What a beauty! The Twelvette I had would spit empties into the next zip code. I think it is inherent in the design with its very quick operating action. I put a small piece of clear packing tape on the back of the loading port. I also learned to push the shell forward rather than against the receiver. The DA also has a completely ambidextrous safety. Cool gun but for me, I found the recoil quick and sharp.

Seems like a good time to get into them because prices have faltered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I know it's been a little while since last post. But, I discovered something tonight someone else may want to try. At least now I can't wait to try it myself. A little back story. I recently picked up a Winchester Super X 1. It's set up for Trap, Monte Carlo stock, Full choke field barrel, and was drilled for a piano wire shell catcher. While I was ordering a few parts, I ordered a shell deflector for the X1, it's also know for sending the spent shells quite a distance as well. I was planning on shooting it for doubles. So thought the deflector a good idea. Well this past weekend I had both the Double auto, and the X1, at the Trap club. For fun decided to shoot a round with the Double auto, shot a 24 fron the 16 line. I really do like shooting the Double auto. It's so different than what you normally see, and I was able to shoot with no one on my right. Didn't have to worry about pelting the fellow next to me. So this past week I got this idea, wonder if one could create a shell deflector such as the one I got for the X1. While I was cleaning up the X1 tonight, I decided to see how close the deflector would fit. Check out the pictures, it fits almost like it was made for the Double auto as well. Now, I am excited to try it out, can't wait for Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

That makes for a very clean look. Hopefully it will work and not mar the receiver any. If so, you have a winner! The DA is a great gun with IMO one of the very best triggers I have ever used on a shotgun. That should be an advantage in a target gun.

They are also one of the most maintenance free semi autos ever made along with the great Auto 5. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I will be interested in seeing how that works. How tight is the wood to metal fit around the forend?
I can't see how it fits the top of the receiver. Will it rub when the barrel moves during shooting?

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 pm 
Field Grade

I tried to take some more pictures tonight, to show how it fits.
The forearm I was afraid would be to tight. However there is a piece of metal inside the wood. Tried to get picture of such. It does tighten it up some, but I can still move the forearm easily enough that it doesn't bind at all. I also tried to get a better picture of the way it wraps around the front of the receiver. As far as the top I tried to get a picture of me pushing out on the top of the deflector. The space you will see is from me physically pushing it out. As far as marring the reciever, it already has some bluing rubbed off from the metal in the receiver. I am not so worried about it at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:28 pm 
Field Grade

More pictures.