ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to me Double Auto
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 pm 
Field Grade

As I said before, I'm pretty excited to try it out next Thursday. When I tried it on the Super X1 it sent the shells more down to the ground about 4 to 5 ft. Instead of mostly straight to the right, without. By the way, please remember, my model is one of the steel receivers. I have never had, in my hands a twelvette, or a twenty weight. I don't know if the aluminum reciever would be thicker, or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

Who makes that deflector? Pending your trials, it looks to be a perfect solution. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

Well, all. I'm back to report. In between rain showers this evening, I was able to get three rounds of trap in. I was so interested in how the shell deflector worked on the first round i forgot to keep track of a score. Then, shot a 24, and a 21. Of the 75 rounds i shot to night, I'm very happy with the deflector. I was shooting gun club light 8's tonight. A good portion of the shells fell directly at my feet. The others actually were caught, like a shell catcher. Actually had to take shell out of the receiver. It would kick them out, but the metal end would be in the reciever, while the plastic stuck out of the receiver. Very easy to pick out. I'm wondering now, if I used a heavy load, 3 dram equivalent, if they would be more likely to get by the deflector, and onto the ground. Or, maybe need to just bend the deflector up just a little. Even though about putting a small piece of electrical tape under the upper part of the deflector. It may work as both concerns, protection of the receiver, and adjusting od the deflector. Not that catching all the shells would be bad in some cases. I'm wondering if it would jam up the receiver or just knock the empty shell out, when shooting doubles. Maybe have more opportunity later this weekend.
By the way I got my deflector from Nuline guns. A little more than 15 bucks, but less than 20 bucks. I think there a few other places they are available. Google Winchester super X1 shell deflector.
Thanks all for the encouragement. Now it's just getting harder to decide which one to shoot. Really like them both, the double auto, and the super x.
SmittyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the report a D.A. is on My radar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks, my son shoots trap with one of our DAs. I may get him one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:02 pm 
Field Grade

I wanted to give a second report. I was able to shoot the double auto another round this evening. I was shooting gun club #8's, 3 dram loads. The deflector, deflected 15 shells, and caught 10. I also, later on, shot a few double shots to see if it would clear the caught shell, or jam. Out of four pairs, it cleared for 3 pairs and jammed up on one pair. So now I'm thinking maybe I need to bend the deflector up some, to allow the first shell to exit the chamber. At any rate, I've at least figured out how I can use the double auto for singles, and handicaps. To shoot doubles, I'll just have to shoot them with a open station to the right, and without the deflector. For now. I'm really happy with the results so far.

Good luck to all.
SmittyC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 am 
Diamond Grade

My DA throws them forward enough that the station to the right isn’t bothered. Shooting it left handed might change the geometry enough, I don’t know.