ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori 16 Gauge Stock Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I have recently purchased a 16Ga Citori that according to the SN was built in 1987. This is my first O/U and I am not familiar with fit/adjustment on them but Browning tells me there is no adjustment on this gun. Any info on aftermarket stocks or thoughts on fitting would be appreciated. TIA

Post subject: Re: Citori 16 Guage Stock Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Forward Bite wrote:
I have recently purchased a 16Ga Citori that according to the SN was built in 1987. This is my first O/U and I am not familiar with fit/adjustment on them but Browning tells me there is no adjustment on this gun. Any info on aftermarket stocks or thoughts on fitting would be appreciated. TIA

Hi, and welcome to Shotgunworld!

"Thoughts on fitting" could literally fill an entire book.

Sounds like you may have previous experience with other shotgun types (semi-auto?) where some of them provide rudimentary stock adjustment capability via factory-supplied shims. But as you've discovered, your Citori does not have this feature, nor (I assume) is it equipped with an adjustable comb or adjustable recoil pad (which are two of the more common adjustable devices for shotguns). Such adjustable devices are quite common these days on clay-target shotguns . . . but not so much on shotguns intended for other uses.

Before we can offer any advice on stock fit, have you shot the gun yet? How does it perform for you? [You might not need any changes]. On the other hand, what attributes are making you believe the stock does not fit, and how did you determine that?

- Stock is too long or too short?
- Comb is too high or too low?
- Lateral comb position isn't optimum, preventing your eye from being positioned properly?
- Drop at Heel is too much or not enough?
- Pitch at the rear of the stock doesn't fit into your shoulder pocket correctly?
- Recoil pad (or buttplate) shape/material is not what you prefer?
- Other things?

Best regards,

Jeff

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, I am used to being able to shim my S/A guns to fit. After shooting a few rounds of clays and a few days in the dove fields, it’s apparent that I am not very good with the Citori. When I close my eyes and shoulder my other guns, then open my eyes, I am looking at the bead. When I do the same with the Citori, my line of sight is above and to the right of the bead, so I have to adjust my head. Hope this makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I suppose you have two options: Relearn the Muscle Memory to mount the Citori in the "proper" sight line, or re-do the stock. Some stocks can be re-Cast left or right (bending the wood slightly), but the Comb is what it is. I suggest you shoot a good amount of Trap, working on new Muscle Memory until you get the correct sight picture, then go enjoy that awesome gun! Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.