ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening Chokes on a Superposed - Effect on Value
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:16 am 
Field Grade

If you were to open up the chokes on a prewar Superposed how would it affect the value of the gun? Specifically taking a F/M gun to M/IC and remarking the choke codes accordingly.

Post subject: Re: Opening Chokes on a Superposed - Effect on Value
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is a pristine example, then it will hurt the value, as a collector. If it is a used gun, that shows wear, and is a shooter, it will probably increase it's desirability, and it's value. Probably not as much as it costs to get it done. Do it to make it a better tool for you, not to try and make money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Now what if it was a pigeon in used but otherwise original condition?

Long story short. I have a 26" prewar twin single gun that was cheapish. It had a poor reblue done at some point, not a complete beater but no where near pristine.

Now I'd like to get a pigeon but all of them I see in 28"+ are F/M. I want a shooter so I'm not looking for pristine, but I don't want to take a big hit on value by rechoking. I figure though if it's rechoked and remarked accordingly the only way you'd be able to tell is by getting a latter from Browning. Seems to me that more open chokes would be desirable to anyone wanting to shoot these guns because they most likely aren't going to be dragging them through the woods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Acme54321 wrote:
Now what if it was a pigeon in used but otherwise original condition?

Long story short. I have a 26" prewar twin single gun that was cheapish. It had a poor reblue done at some point, not a complete beater but no where near pristine.

Now I'd like to get a pigeon but all of them I see in 28"+ are F/M. I want a shooter so I'm not looking for pristine, but I don't want to take a big hit on value by rechoking.
Nor would anyone else trying to establish a reasonable value. You already know the answer to your own question - and apparently hoping the shoe will fit when putting it on someone else's foot.
Quote:
I figure though if it's rechoked and remarked accordingly the only way you'd be able to tell is by getting a latter from Browning.
Are you sure about that? So, how do you know it hasn't already been altered? Would its desirability increase, decrease, or remain the same (to you) if you learned the gun has been altered?

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Anatidae on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I figure though if it's rechoked and remarked accordingly the only way you'd be able to tell is by getting a latter from Browning.

This statement can be taken a couple of different ways. Could you clarify ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

captjsjr wrote:

The markings would match the chokes and it would appear original.

Obviously you could try to fool someone and say it came from the factory like that. At the same time anyone who cares enough would probably want a letter at that point.

Anyway, getting one of these guns completely unmolested after nearly 100 years is probably unlikely.

Last edited by Acme54321 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rechoking is probably not going to reduce the value more than the dings from hunting. If it has “collector value” just skip it to start with if looking for a gun to rechoke and to hunt. I like Oregunners answer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Acme54321 wrote:
captjsjr wrote:

The markings would match the chokes and it would appear original.

Obviously you could try to fool someone and say it came from the factory like that. At the same time anyone who cares enough would probably want a letter at that point.

Anyway, getting one of these guns completely unmolested after nearly 100 years is probably unlikely.

I have no issue with someone relieving the chokes in order to make the gun more suitable for their use nor remarking the chokes for their own edification. But upon sale , an ethical seller should be forthcoming about the alteration. But we do know there are people out there that skipped ‘ integrity 101’
That being said , I have a pristine 1958 20/26 pigeon choked IC/M . They are out there , all it takes is education ,patience and a few knowledgeable people keeping their eyes open for you. Good luck