ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxus - Long-Term Use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 am 
Field Grade

I’m looking for input from anyone that’s owned a Maxus for a while. I have had one for a little over a year but am wondering how these guns hold up after a lot of use. Anyone had any issues with your Maxus?

Post subject: Re: Maxus - Long-Term Use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I've had mine for approximately 5 years.but with only 1540 rounds through it. I use it for my rainy weather gun and for events like 3-bird. I last shot it this past 17 April and it ran like the proverbial top. Mine is the carbon fibre sporting model. I like the Manual of arms much better than the Beretta 1301. I also think it shoots softer and quieter than an A-400, another excellent gun.

FWIW

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a 3 1/2 inch plastic Hunter model. It is 5 years old and it has about 10,000 rounds thru it without any problems. I broke it in when it was brand new shooting box birds with 1 1/4th oz loads at 1350 fps.

Ever since that break in, it will shoot 7/8th ounce 1150 fps shells to 3 1/2 inch 2 oz. Ts without any problems what so ever. It has never broken any parts and the only time or two it has ever malfunctioned it was with 7/8th oz. light shells when it had not been cleaned in more than 1000 rounds. It has never malfunctioned with any load one ounce or more.

I use it to hunt and shoot sporting, skeet, and FITASC if it looks like it might rain.

I have owned 3 1/2 inch Berettas, Remingtons and Benelli gas guns and none are more dependable than the Maxus and none will shoot anything I have ever put thru it.

I would take it to Argentina to shoot doves but they do not allow any guns to come into the country that hold more than two shells.

I would shoot it all you want to. Even if it does break something, Browning makes all the parts for it and it is not hard to fix anything in it your self.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Rest assured it will last for years and digest more shells than you can afford to buy {hs#

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I had my maxus for about five years, shot it almost every weekend with just the basic cleaning. I absolutely loved it, wish i never got rid of it. I went to a 725 for sporting and now looking to get back into a maxus for hunting and just because why not. Keep it clean and it will treat you well!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Google search Geoff Garrod-the finish of his gun is worn off and he keeps shooting and shooting. Great wing shot. Really says it all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought mine in Oct 2010. Use it every year for several days hunting pheasant in South Dakota and ducks all over. It’s been through rain, dropped, and sub-freezing temps. NEVER had an issue.

I keep it clean, so I’m sure that helps.....but would recommend to anyone!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought my first Maxus October 2009 in MODB dura touch and still own it today, I've shot Upland, Sporting clays, Waterfowl and anything else you could thing of. I've fed it everything from 2 3/4'' 7/8oz reloads through 3 1/2'' remington 1700 FPS waterfowl loads. it's been shot through every season Western Pennsylvania has to offer and has taken a swim in the lake more then once and has never failed me.

In the past 11 years the gun has been back to Browning 2 times, the early guns had issues with the springs breaking in the gas piston Browning was aware of the issue corrected the spring and it was gone for a total of 2 weeks, the other time it had to go back was for the DuraTouch going bad, this time the had the gun for approx 4 months but I told them going into it that I did not need right away because I had a back up.

I honestly have no idea how many rounds I put through that gun, if I would have to guess 45k-55k. I like the gun so much that I went out and bought a Maxus Ultimate a few years ago to give the old Camo gun a break.

I wouldn't worry about long term use too much if you take care of it and make sure you clean it good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Don't mean to rain on the parade here, but I had a very different experience with the maxus.

I had a 3.5" hunter that I purchased in 2018 and used for ducks and clays. At first all was good, but one day after a light hunt with about 1/2 box of 3.5s - I took it apart to clean it and the bolt came out in two pieces.

Browning replaced the bolt with new, but after I got it back it wouldn't reliably cycle target loads (both 1oz and 1 1/8oz were a problem, where they hadn't been before). I sent it back to browning for a second time. When I got it back, I never shot it again. Took it straight to a gun show and traded for something else.

I had it for a little over a year. I Shot maybe 2-3k rounds through it, mostly target shells, and probably 6-8 total boxes of hunting loads. Pointed great, super soft shooting etc. I took really good care of it. Honestly I miss shooting it, but the reliability and frequent trips back to browning were too much for me to deal with. Now I have an SBE2 for ducks and a 725 for clays - way better setup.