ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prewar Auto5
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up a 1929ish manufacture Auto5. It was pretty tight and gummy from not being cleaned for decades but is in good condition and I'm hoping to use it regularly. I've been looking for one for awhile and this one had an acceptable price on it so I jumped on it. The fact that it had a solid rib cylinder bore 28" bbl in it didnt hurt. I like oddballs.
I cleaned up the internals last night and got her working the way she should. It has some finish wear on the wood and metal but no rust or cracks in the wood and I am pleased to have it.
One issue I'm looking for some guidance on. At the rear of the forearm there is a ring that fits into a recess in the front of the receiver. This is wore down to the point that the rear of the forearm wants to kick down just a bit when working the action. Hope there is a decent repair for this and that someone can point me in the right direction.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Prewar Auto5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:18 am 
Crown Grade

Not sure how you would repair that part of the forend. It may be the only solution is a new forend.

Post subject: Re: Prewar Auto5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might possibly be able to fill in the missing portion of the ring and reinforce the remainder with Acraglass. I'd try it before replacing the original forearm.

You might want to consult Art's Gun Shop, the Browning experts, before doing anything yourself. If it can be fixed, they'll know and would be able to do it.

https://artsgunshop.com/