ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
Second, I don't know much at all about Superposed guns (except I like them) I could use some coaching on what to look for when I inspect the gun.

I don't know what terms like Y-tang, long tang, or short tang are referring to ?

I think he told me the gun was made in 64.

If I like the gun and think it's purty, it doesn't matter to me if it is original.

Joe, I hope our information helps you make an informed decision. Here's my 2 cents worth:

Does the gun have a Trap comb and forearm, or a Field (hunting) comb and forearm? I'm not smart on Helice, but it sounds like you want Trap dimensions (higher comb and fatter forearm). Buy the gun that fit's your needs.

Any 1967 or later Superposed should be assumed to be a Salt era gun, when the wood corroded the metal due to the salt curing process for the stock. 1966 guns are suspect, unless they are hi-grade (pigeon and above), those "should" be fine.

Also about 66-67, the top tang was changed from a Y shape to a U shape to save inletting time cost. Same function, but the Y tang is deemed more desirable. Also, the bottom tang was shortened, and the round knob of the grip was made flat, again to save time and money. Thus, you can buy a RKLT Round Knob Long Tang, or FKST, Flat Knob Short Tang. RKLT are deemed more desirable. Many Trap guns came with Flat Knobs and long tangs before this overall change was made.

Having said all that, it's your money, your gun, your desires. Us aficionados just ask that folks don't cut stocks/butcher/maim a really nice high grade Super like the Grade 3s and above. I'm hesitant to even alter a Grade 2 Pigeon. There's plenty of Grade 1s out there to experiment with.

I did alter a Grade 4, but it had non-factory wood, owner's initials, etc, and I had Art's restock it to factory spec dimensions with an era-correct horn butt plate. Now it just looks like it has new upgraded wood.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
Seller will bring it to a shoot in a couple of weeks, I will keep everyone updated.

With pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

NoDak Scotty wrote:
I did alter a Grade 4, but it had non-factory wood, owner's initials, etc, and I had Art's restock it to factory spec dimensions with an era-correct horn butt plate. Now it just looks like it has new upgraded wood.
There are different levels of appreciation for the design, art, craftsmanship, and history of these guns.......and levels of collecting where such an appreciation can exceed the amount of money we put into, or hope to receive from them, one day. In the meantime, they provide an unquantifiable measure of joy to a temporary caretaker. Life is short.

It's not always about re-sale potential. Art speaks for itself. Each piece (or collection) becomes a reflection of individual interests and personality. Otherwise, we might buy only what we think everyone else would buy. How exciting would that be?

Last edited by Anatidae on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Anatidae wrote:
NoDak Scotty wrote:
There are different levels of appreciation for the design, art, craftsmanship, and history of these guns.......and levels of collecting where such an appreciation can exceed the amount of money we put into, or hope to receive from them, one day. In the meantime, they provide an unquantifiable measure of joy to a temporary caretaker. Life is short.

{hs#
Especially have to agree with the statement, "Life is short".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes , “life is short” is a great observation !
There comes a point when “resale” means as much as “ life without parole”. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Life is indeed short. Lots of us are past our 3 score and ten. We are living our bonus time.
I have another point of view about resale. Except for the collections of the very best premium firearms with high end collectors, most of our firearms comprise a small part of our estate. This part of our estate is not worth obsessing over. I gave up buying guns as an investment years ago. I buy guns that interest me to use. I spend little to no time thinking about the next guy who might own my stuff.
I know that some experts on here have primo collectables, but I don't see Gr. 1 or 2 Browning shotguns in 12 gauge as sacrosanct items.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
Life is indeed short. Lots of us are past our 3 score and ten. We are living our bonus time.
I joke that these are our 'good' years. It's not that I have so much more to do now - it just seems to take me longer to accomplish anything.
Quote:
I have another point of view about resale. Except for the collections of the very best premium firearms with high end collectors, most of our firearms comprise a small part of our estate. This part of our estate is not worth obsessing over. I gave up buying guns as an investment years ago. I buy guns that interest me to use. I spend little to no time thinking about the next guy who might own my stuff.
Excellent points, all - I agree (from our present prospective - looking back).
Quote:
I know that some experts on here have primo collectables, but I don't see Gr. 1 or 2 Browning shotguns in 12 gauge as sacrosanct items.
As a teen in the 1960's I obsessed about having a Superposed one day. The first one (in my early 20's) was a used '73 Gr I 30" Broadway when I got into trap shooting. But trap shooting was short-lived on a graduate school budget, so I sold it and replaced it with a Gr I 28” .410 w/field chokes 'opportunity'. So much for an 'investment' - 'haven't sold that one yet :mrgreen:. Then, a once-lofty quest for a Gr I RKLT 'Slam' was derailed by a 20ga Pigeon and more fascinating Supers I couldn't pass-up as means and opportunity aligned.

So at one time (and, as with others just getting 'into' Superposed guns), the Gr I was an attainable goal. It all starts with a dream and one gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Joe, I added Briley chokes to a Superposed shotgun about 15 years ago. I recall the firearm as manufactured in 1963- a 12 gauge grade I standard weight with 28" barrels, both choked skeet. Briley charged $300 for the work at the time, plus shipping. The chokes made the shotgun much more versatile, but somehow never looked quite right to an old Browning guy (me).

I sold the shotgun after "more collecting", finding it easier to change to another Superposed shotgun with different chokes rather than monkey around with a tube wrench. The result was a $300 loss, and an experience gain.

Your initial question regarded alterations hurting value, and I certainly agree with the other posters. Since the gun in question is a "high grade", I believe you can expect to subtract a good amount more than the cost of the choke tubes. To my eye the aesthetics of the Superposed shotgun do not include a slotted gadget in the muzzle. When the time comes to sell, there will be fewer collectors interested thus lowering the value.

Opening the chokes an increment or two would be a much better choice and probably make the gun a better performer given that the full constriction from the 1960s was rather tight. Or better yet, buy an additional "hidden" Superposed shotgun with the chokes you want. Just my opinion.

I should add that I have reloaded for skeet over the years using components from Ballistic Products, and have not found spreader loads to be the answer.