Post subject: cxs 30'' or 32''
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 pm 
Field Grade

Hi,

I need your advise:

Looking to buy for skeet and 5 stand and sporting clays and a bit of trap
a cxs 30 or 32
it fits me well without the adjustable comb

Afraid that the 32 will be a lot nose heavy?
I'm 5'8'' 190 pounds will it be too heavy for skeet?

Like very much to have your thoughts.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: cxs 30'' or 32''
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't be intimidated by the "32 bbls----EVEN on station 8-----Personally believe you will find the longer bbls will suit you better/longer sight radius and seem to swing better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:51 am 
Limited Edition

I have a CXS 12ga with 32" barrels and a 20ga with 30" barrels.
To me, the 30" barrels are the right length, and will sell the one with 32's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:07 am 
Crown Grade

If there is some way for you to as a minimum handle both length barrels for a few minutes; then that would be the best determinant. If you could shoot both; that would be ideal and you would have your answer.

Some will advise to buy the 32 inch for potential resale value. I say buy what would work best for you! Maybe hold off and see if anyone you encounter when shooting has one to try? Only you can tell what feels best and the most natural. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:41 am 
Field Grade

For what it's worth:

https://nssa-nsca.org/blog/2017/08/21/a ... el-length/

Good luck with your choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm 5'7" and shoot a 32" 625 20 ga. I wish I had bought the 30" barrels instead. A friend has a CSX 30" 20 ga and I swapped the barrels to my gun to see how it felt. Much livelier gun IMO. Handle both if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Best thing to do would be try them yourself and see what you prefer.

FWIW, I've settled on 30 inch barrels. To be fair, I didn't really give 32" a chance. The only 32 I've owned/shot was a Beretta. I've never shot a 32" Browning. I ended up with a 30" Browning and really liked it, so I bought two more.

I definitely won't buy another 28" . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:39 am 
Field Grade

pow1 wrote:
Afraid that the 32 will be a lot nose heavy?
I'm 5'8'' 190 pounds will it be too heavy for skeet?

Like very much to have your thoughts.

Given how the mental game affects performance, looks like you've already identified a concern - for you. My thought would be to go with what you'll have confidence in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a 32” 20 gauge CXS and had to add a lot of weight to balance the heavy barrels. 12 gauge would most likely be the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

pow1 , while there are a number of competent, knowledgeable shooters on this forum , personally I would not be asking people what “I” like. I would seek out the opportunity to shoot the make , model , gauge and barrel lengths you are interested in and make your decision. Best of luck !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:12 am 
Field Grade

Quite right, I would prefer to test the 30"" and 32'',But around here cannot see a 32, I can shoulder only a 30''. So I will have to guess and buy on line.

It should be only 2 ounces more, but the 30'' was already nose heavy.

I would like to know how much ounces you put in the stock on your 32'' 20 gauge to balance it, I will be able to guess and do the same on a 12.

Thanks for taking the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pow1 wrote:
Quite right, I would prefer to test the 30"" and 32'',But around here cannot see a 32, I can shoulder only a 30''. So I will have to guess and buy on line . . .

Over the past 6-7 years that I've been shooting skeet, I've owned maybe seven 12 gauge over/unders. Most of those were purchased online without trying them first. The results were somewhat mixed. I can't say I've ever bought 12 gauge over/under that I hated or just didn't work for me, but some definitely suited me better than others.

I'm a gun trader. I've got a lot of experience buying/selling and I have the capability and skills to take decent gun photos and list guns for sale online. I'm also knowledgeable about shipping guns and am comfortable doing so. Consequently, I have a try-it-and-see attitude about buying guns. As long as I don't pay too much, I look at buying a gun as a temporary and reversible choice. If I don't like something I can always sell it later and move along. Guns in the safe are like money in the bank to me. I don't consider them to be sunk costs. Of course, this approach works best if you buy used. If you buy new, you're going to lose money.

Not everyone thinks like me. For some folks, buying a gun is a lifetime commitment and a wrong decision can be devastating.

My path to shotgun Nirvana let me to a pair of Browning Model 325 sporting models, both with 30 inch barrels. I don't know whether these are the perfect guns for me, but I like them and they work for me. I don't feel the need to try anything else. It took a few false moves to get to this point. I've had 28" barrel guns and prefer longer tubes. I had a Beretta with 32 inch barrels for a while but decided I preferred the Brownings. I had a nice 30" SKB but never shot it as well so I sold it.

I learned what I liked by trying/buying/selling a bunch of different guns. My method was really messy and inefficient. I don't really recommend this approach for anyone else.

In hindsight, logically and rationally, I think a better approach would be to buy something inexpensive -- I like the Remington 1100 -- and use that gun for a season or two. Shoot a bunch of rounds of skeet/sporting clays/whatever and learn the game. Learn to see birds. Get comfortable breaking birds and becoming part of the culture of the local club. All the while talk to the fellas. Shoot their guns when you can. Shoot a few rounds with a Beretta. Shoot some with a Browning. Get a feel for them. Once that's done, buy once. Make a decision and spend the money to get what you want.

That's what I SHOULD have done.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
pow1 wrote:
Quite right, I would prefer to test the 30"" and 32'',But around here cannot see a 32, I can shoulder only a 30''. So I will have to guess and buy on line . . .

Over the past 6-7 years that I've been shooting skeet, I've owned maybe seven 12 gauge over/unders. Most of those were purchased online without trying them first. The results were somewhat mixed. I can't say I've ever bought 12 gauge over/under that I hated or just didn't work for me, but some definitely suited me better than others.

I'm a gun trader. I've got a lot of experience buying/selling and I have the capability and skills to take decent gun photos and list guns for sale online. I'm also knowledgeable about shipping guns and am comfortable doing so. Consequently, I have a try-it-and-see attitude about buying guns. As long as I don't pay too much, I look at buying a gun as a temporary and reversible choice. If I don't like something I can always sell it later and move along. Guns in the safe are like money in the bank to me. I don't consider them to be sunk costs. Of course, this approach works best if you buy used. If you buy new, you're going to lose money.

Not everyone thinks like me. For some folks, buying a gun is a lifetime commitment and a wrong decision can be devastating.

My path to shotgun Nirvana let me to a pair of Browning Model 325 sporting models, both with 30 inch barrels. I don't know whether these are the perfect guns for me, but I like them and they work for me. I don't feel the need to try anything else. It took a few false moves to get to this point. I've had 28" barrel guns and prefer longer tubes. I had a Beretta with 32 inch barrels for a while but decided I preferred the Brownings. I had a nice 30" SKB but never shot it as well so I sold it.

I learned what I liked by trying/buying/selling a bunch of different guns. My method was really messy and inefficient. I don't really recommend this approach for anyone else.

In hindsight, logically and rationally, I think a better approach would be to buy something inexpensive -- I like the Remington 1100 -- and use that gun for a season or two. Shoot a bunch of rounds of skeet/sporting clays/whatever and learn the game. Learn to see birds. Get comfortable breaking birds and becoming part of the culture of the local club. All the while talk to the fellas. Shoot their guns when you can. Shoot a few rounds with a Beretta. Shoot some with a Browning. Get a feel for them. Once that's done, buy once. Make a decision and spend the money to get what you want.

That's what I SHOULD have done.

This all sounds like true confessions of an inveterate gun nut! Maybe a short story in the making? {hs# :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 am 
Field Grade

My CXS 12 has 30” barrels and is already balanced in front of the hinge pin, so I’d be afraid the 32’s would ruin the handling of the gun just for the sake of having two more inches of barrel. I’ve never held one with 32’s though, so it may not be as bad as I’m imagining.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 am 
Limited Edition

I handled both 30 & 32s when I bought my 32 CX. I knew darn well the 32 was nose heavy but the wood was much nicer than the 30" gun. Mistake is a strong word, LoL. I've put lightweight Mullers on it to minimize the nose heavy feel. It helped. 30s would have been better for me. A couple ounces in the stock would probably get it where it needs to be but I haven't taken the time, too busy shooting!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone for taking time to answer my question. It was very useful.

I finally bought the 30''.
Just for your info, to balance the shotgun I had to add 8.25 ounces in the stock....so the 32'' would certainly be very nose heavy. The weight of the gun is now 8 pounds 1/2.

For my 686 32'' I added 5 ounces. The barrels of the cxs 30'' are 5 ounces heavier than the 686 32''.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 30" 12ga CXS is slightly nose heavy when balanced at the hinge pin, which I prefer in a clay target gun. For me, 32" barrels would be ungainly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

hoashooter wrote:
Don't be intimidated by the "32 bbls----EVEN on station 8-----Personally believe you will find the longer bbls will suit you better/longer sight radius and seem to swing better.

Barrel length is for sure a personal thing. But how sight radius can matter when you don’t aim using the “sights” such as they are is totally beyond my understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

quite right moishepipick, it should not make any sense.

I was shooting mainly semi-auto 28'', was not completely at ease with the o/u beretta 28''.
After I bought the 686 32''( flush chokes), I like very much....we don't look at the sight but it is more present in the peripheral sight...

Let's hope I would like the CXS 30''... note that the cxs with the extended chokes is at 1/2 inch close to the 6868 32''.

We will see this week-end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

moishepipick wrote:
hoashooter wrote:

Barrel length is for sure a personal thing. But how sight radius can matter when you don’t aim using the “sights” such as they are is totally beyond my understanding.

You're right about that.

Sight radius doesn't matter. Swing dynamics matter.