ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Silver Field -20G
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Have never seen or handled a Silver in person. Thinking about going to LGS and having them order one for me. It would be a 20G/26" barrel. Would be mostly used as a Rabbit hunting gun with some occasional backyard clay target shooting.

Anybody own or have the chance to shoot one occasionally? I wonder how they are balanced, how well do they shoulder/point. Is the weight respectable, and finally the reliability and build quality.

After tax I expect the total to be around $1100. Which isn't bad but at the same time, for a country guy in E. Ky to me thats still a lot of bread. Just looking for some pros/cons before I decide. Thanks, Mike B.

Post subject: Re: Browning Silver Field -20G
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:51 pm 
Field Grade

They are great guns. I have a 20 GA and a 12 Ga, and my dad has two 12 gauges. Never a problem. I like the balance and feel. My wife shoots the 20 gauge most of the time. She shoots it very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I know of 2 or three among friends. They all run perfectly and none of them will ever be for sale.

Excellent value on a fine gun.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

spinningreel wrote:
Have never seen or handled a Silver in person. Thinking about going to LGS and having them order one for me. It would be a 20G/26" barrel. Would be mostly used as a Rabbit hunting gun with some occasional backyard clay target shooting.

Anybody own or have the chance to shoot one occasionally? I wonder how they are balanced, how well do they shoulder/point. Is the weight respectable, and finally the reliability and build quality.

After tax I expect the total to be around $1100. Which isn't bad but at the same time, for a country guy in E. Ky to me thats still a lot of bread. Just looking for some pros/cons before I decide. Thanks, Mike B.

The Gold 20 was my Dad's favorite shotgun. They are 1/4 lb. heavier than many . most 20s, and need trigger jobs. You can do better for less.

A B-80 / 303 is more durable and 1/4 lb. lighter. So are others.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are OK but as Wakeman said there are better choices.
For less $$$ too.
I found the 20 ga. 26" Benelli Montefeltro to be the best autoloader I ever owned.
A close second was the Mossberg SA-20. It's the same gun as the Tristar Viper G2.
All those listed go for less than the Silver and the SA-20, Viper G2 for much less.
I love my Browning O/U's but pass on their autoloaders.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Browning Silvers are good guns and when they break, parts will be available which may not be the case with a Turkish S/A.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 am 
Utility Grade

The Benelli Montefeltro appears to also be in the same price range, I may consider going with the Monte, and one other option that keeps creeping into my head is ordering a new Ithaca 37, although its a pump, I've always had one on my bucket list, have never owned an Ithaca 37, still got some deciding to do I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Ended up ordering a new Ithaca 37.
20 Gauge/26" barrel, Briley choke tube system.

Will be primarily a Field gun (Rabbit/squirrel) with a few light backyard clay sessions just for practice here and there.

I like the way a 20 Carries, and shoulders, and for Rabbit hunting I think a 20 is more than enough.

Maybe sometime later I can get a Browning Silver, who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought one (20 ga 26 in) a couple weeks ago. I love it. It’s light, points well, and I can hit targets with it too :). Very well balanced. I was also considering the Tristar Viper G2 but was going to have to order it. A local store had the Silver in stock along with a 12. I may be going back to get the 12 soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought one several years ago and love it Great gun to hunt with !!!