ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding weight to citori
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 am 
Field Grade

I'm wondering what people have done to add weight to a citori? I have a 30" 12ga. CXS white, and was thinking of experimenting with added stock weight. The two purposes being to move the balance back slightly and for recoil reduction. thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Adding weight to citori
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 am 
Limited Edition

The stock Inflex recoil pad is pretty light, you could replace it with a KickEez instead those are typically several ounces heavier and work well to reduce recoil.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I used piece of Half inch Pex tubing filled with lead shot, Pex fits snug in factory hole add or subtract length and shot as needed to fit factory drilled hole, works perfect to balance my Citori 725 O/U 12ga 32" HR adj comb

Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Goose Gun Bolt action 36"12ga
Pride of Spain DB 10ga
Mossberg 410 ga
NRA Life Member since 2000

Last edited by rbdjr on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:45 am 
Field Grade

rbdjr wrote:
I used piece of Half inch Pex tubing filled with lead shot, Pex fits snug in factor hole add or subtract length and shot as needed to fit factory drilled hole, works perfect to balance my Citori 725 O/U 12ga 32" HR adj comb

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used a 7/8" diameter bolt. Cut the head and threads off, tapped one end 1/4-20. Added 13 oz. for less than $3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Round cast lead rods are probably your best bet for adding weight to a round hole at a reasonable cost. Lead is about 50% heavier per unit volume than steel. It is soft and easily shaped, and it's rather cheap. Buy whatever diameter you need, or buy several different diameters in case you have several different guns that you want to add weight to. Simple and easy to cut to the length you want. Puts a lot of weight into a small diameter hole. Not messy like using lead shot.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-cast-ro ... -per-foot/

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

I put a 4" length of 3/4" diameter tungsten rod: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlebar-3-4- ... 2749.l2649 in my 32" Citori CX. Ahead of the rod I placed a 7/8" piece of wooden dowel cut to length to fill the space in front of the tungsten rod. I wrapped electrical tape around the ends of the tungsten rod to make a snug fit in the hole in the stock. I put a piece of foam rubber over the end of the rod that fits against the recoil pad.

This added weight puts the balance point very close to the hinge as opposed to 1.5"+ inches in front of the hinge without the weight. With a 30" barrel a 3" rod would probably get you close.

Tungsten is significantly more dense than lead and requires less material for the same weight. I tried using lead shot initially, but didn't like the result. In my case, the lead shot worked its way through the bag I put it in in the stock.

I'm really happy with the end result. Feels like a totally different gun in terms of swing. Recoil was very manageable before the added weight, but now it is barely noticeable even with the heavier loads. I highly recommend this upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Ernest T wrote:
I put a 4" length of 3/4" diameter tungsten rod: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlebar-3-4- ... 2749.l2649 in my 32" Citori CX. Ahead of the rod I placed a 7/8" piece of wooden dowel cut to length to fill the space in front of the tungsten rod. I wrapped electrical tape around the ends of the tungsten rod to make a snug fit in the hole in the stock. I put a piece of foam rubber over the end of the rod that fits against the recoil pad.

This added weight puts the balance point very close to the hinge as opposed to 1.5"+ inches in front of the hinge without the weight. With a 30" barrel a 3" rod would probably get you close.

Tungsten is significantly more dense than lead and requires less material for the same weight. I tried using lead shot initially, but didn't like the result. In my case, the lead shot worked its way through the bag I put it in in the stock.

I'm really happy with the end result. Feels like a totally different gun in terms of swing. Recoil was very manageable before the added weight, but now it is barely noticeable even with the heavier loads. I highly recommend this upgrade.

I like the idea of the Tungsten, its heavier than lead for sure, only down fall is the $$$, lead shot much cheaper.
But if you need more weight in a small area TUNGSTEN is the way to go with some electrical tape.

Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Goose Gun Bolt action 36"12ga
Pride of Spain DB 10ga
Mossberg 410 ga
NRA Life Member since 2000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lead expands as it oxidizes. A tight-fitting lead weight plug can actually crack or split a stock over time. At least that's what I've been told, and have seen at least one stock that I believe confirms this.

The safest and easiest approach is to buy a mercury-filled recoil reducer. They're not that expensive, are available in different weights and may not even require widening the stock bolt hole. Once you button the stock back up with the recoil pad, no one will know it's in there.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-reducers/standard-stock-5-a-recoil-suppressor-sku163000004-85602-10911.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I have used fishing sinkers wrapped in bubble wrap successfully. Makes it easy to adjust the weight by adding or removing sinkers

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm 
Limited Edition

cfoster wrote:
I have used fishing sinkers wrapped in bubble wrap successfully. Makes it easy to adjust the weight by adding or removing sinkers

Same here, put mine in sandwich bags.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I put pennies into a roll of 10 w packing tape. Then I used white PVC pipe to hold the pennies. Use 2-3 rubber washers to protect the screw head. Slide the PVC into the stock. Fits perfectly.