ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: any thoughts on Cynergy wicked wing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi Guys, i'm considering this gun as an extra over under. I currently use a Browning 725 sporting twice a week at the club but im thinking about the Cynergy as a rain/winter over under to keep my 725 out of the elements in bad weather (I've seen guys fall in the winter and destroy their wood). I also have a Stoeger M3000 in wood and burnt bronze cerekote. I've been using for that which has been great. My thoughts are only heading to the Cynergy now as its a all weather gun and still an O/U so I'm consistent with and over under that shoots 50/50 and not have to pick up mu hulls after a day of shooting (yes im getting older).
If I did get it, i'd probably sell the stoeger (which I do Like)as i'm a minimalist and would have the cynergy for all other hunting applications which I only get out a few times a year for turkey, a walk with my dog. I do not shoot rifled slugs out of the shotgun but do have a few boxes if I'd ever need to.
just wondering who has one and your overall thoughts.
Thanks
Cheers

2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

Post subject: Re: any thoughts on Cynergy wicked wing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is a big downgrade from your 725: a special type of ugly with the old wacky recoil pad and (ugh!) 3-1/2 inch chambers. https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... ility.html .

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
It is a big downgrade from your 725: a special type of ugly with the old wacky recoil pad and (ugh!) 3-1/2 inch chambers. https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... ility.html .

I know it is, im just looking for an all weather type over under. I agree the 3.5" chamber is useless, the recoil pad i dont mind so much. To be honest, i had the older 2017 MOSGB version but I hated the duratouch finish as it was way too sticky in warmer weather and found it was starting to wear a little which wasn't as big a deal as the feeling of a sticky gun.
i know the new ones did away with the duratouch coating

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Well, I wouldn't get too cranked-up over the theory of an all-weather O/U shotgun assuming you sleep indoors. I've hunted arctic Quebec a few times, as well as Manitoba-herd caribou several times, Newfoundland for moose (and spruce grouse), high volume snow geese on the St. Lawrence Seaway, etc., etc.--- exclusively with blued / walnut shotguns and rifles. This is with all kinds of rain, freezing rain, ice, snow, wind, and muck.

Just clean your gun and you'll have no problems. I never have.

However, if you are just looking for a way to somehow justify a new shotgun, then most anything works. I know this quite well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

you're right, I've heard you say all that before. i'm just anal about marking up, scratching or denting the wood. perhaps i am looking for a reason to buy a new one LOL.
i guess i'm wondering if anyone has had issues with them mechanically

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I've had many Cynergy's and still have a walnut Euro model. No problems with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Well, I wouldn't get too cranked-up over the theory of an all-weather O/U shotgun assuming you sleep indoors. I've hunted arctic Quebec a few times, as well as Manitoba-herd caribou several times, Newfoundland for moose (and spruce grouse), high volume snow geese on the St. Lawrence Seaway, etc., etc.--- exclusively with blued / walnut shotguns and rifles. This is with all kinds of rain, freezing rain, ice, snow, wind, and muck.

Just clean your gun and you'll have no problems. I never have.

However, if you are just looking for a way to somehow justify a new shotgun, then most anything works. I know this quite well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep!! My "rain gun " 870! Hey, whatever works! :lol:

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I’ve shot the Cynergy and I kinda like it It’s even beginning to grow on me in the looks department!
Fits me a little different but nothing that I couldn’t work out if it were my primary clay gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a Cynergy fan and have three of them. But the balance on the composite Cynergy is completely different than on the walnut gun. So I assume that the handling would also be quite different than on the 725.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Jim, I’m expecting it to be different. As I mentioned I had one years ago which I shouldn’t have sold. My thoughts are, because I use the over under several times a week at skeet and sporting clays… Why not have a hunting gun that operate similarly as opposed to semi auto where I’m picking up the empty hulls. I still shoot all winter long. Finding them in the snow really suck LOL

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kuffs06 wrote:
would have the cynergy for all other hunting applications which I only get out a few times a year for turkey, a walk with my dog. I do not shoot rifled slugs out of the shotgun but do have a few boxes if I'd ever need to.

How many hulls are you picking up turkey hunting? Or, just getting out a few times a year? I'm not following the logic of this one at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
kuffs06 wrote:
would have the cynergy for all other hunting applications which I only get out a few times a year for turkey, a walk with my dog. I do not shoot rifled slugs out of the shotgun but do have a few boxes if I'd ever need to.

How many hulls are you picking up turkey hunting? Or, just getting out a few times a year? I'm not following the logic of this one at all.

Sorry Randy I thought I explained it before. 90% of my shooting is at the club. That being said I go rain or shine. When I get bad weather and through most of winter when it is below freezing I take my semi auto. Those are the holes I am referring to picking up. Since most of my shooting is with my over under, I thought it would make sense to have an over under as my winter beater/Hunting/bad weather club gun where I’m shooting between 6-8 boxes a session

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

No issues with a 3.5” citori shooting trap and everything else. I don’t see why the wicked wing would be any different.

Having dedicated trap guns I rarely see more than 1-2% difference in pattern at 30 yd with the 3.5” chamber.

Randy is a 3.5” hater fwiw.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:18 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kuffs06 wrote:
Sorry Randy I thought I explained it before. 90% of my shooting is at the club. That being said I go rain or shine. When I get bad weather and through most of winter when it is below freezing I take my semi auto. Those are the holes I am referring to picking up. Since most of my shooting is with my over under, I thought it would make sense to have an over under as my winter beater/Hunting/bad weather club gun where I’m shooting between 6-8 boxes a session

No, I'm not following you at all. You've already had at least two plastic-stocked Cynergy's that you've talked about prior: (
kuffs06 wrote:
I had a synergy CX Composite and it wa fantastic. Before that I had a Mossi Oak shadow grass blade camouflage Cynergy. The only reason I saw that was an opportunity for a almost new used 725 sporting for a good price.
If it wasn’t for that deal I would still have it… Swung great and felt fantastic.

After owning and dumping two plastic-stocked Cynergy models, if you want to try a 3rd Cynergy that's up to you-- but you already know exactly what they are. A 'Wicked Wing' models is 0% more weatherproof that the shadow grass blade camo Cynergy you already had. Maybe the third time is the charm? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Cynergy and 725 fit me completely different. Swapping between the two on a short term basis would not work for me. Not sure how you would work out getting a similar fit as the Cynergy plastic stock is hard to modify and the influx recoil pad makes adding length or spacers hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Cynergy CX and it’s my primary clays gun. Looks good and mounts perfectly for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

The wicked wing cynergy pulls up really nice and points good for me. I didn't think the balance was off (same with the synthetic CX model), the only thing I don't care for is the camo finish.

If you're looking for a bad weather O/U it would be a great choice IMO or check out the Cynergy CX if you can live with a 60/40 poi.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
kuffs06 wrote:

No, I'm not following you at all. You've already had at least two plastic-stocked Cynergy's that you've talked about prior: (
kuffs06 wrote:
I had a synergy CX Composite and it wa fantastic. Before that I had a Mossi Oak shadow grass blade camouflage Cynergy. The only reason I saw that was an opportunity for a almost new used 725 sporting for a good price.
If it wasn’t for that deal I would still have it… Swung great and felt fantastic.

After owning and dumping two plastic-stocked Cynergy models, if you want to try a 3rd Cynergy that's up to you-- but you already know exactly what they are. A 'Wicked Wing' models is 0% more weatherproof that the shadow grass blade camo Cynergy you already had. Maybe the third time is the charm? :shock:

Wow your good Randy. Going back and realizing what I had LOL. The first one I loved and could hit well with it as it was a 50/50 pattern. What I hated about it was the duratouch rubbery finish as it would get very sticky in the hot weather. Then I needed the money from the sale of that gun to afford my 725 at the time.
The second one being the CX composite felt great but I found the 60/40 pattern would through me off when going firm the 725 to the CX and often didn’t compensate to float the bird, especially on crossers the where dropping. As I switched back and forth from the CX to the 725 there was always some misses trying to compensate for the pattern.
I’m looking at the wicked wing since it’s a 50/50 without the dura touch.
If the CX didn’t shoot high, I’d still have it.

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:34 am 
Presentation Grade

gunner76 wrote:
The wicked wing cynergy pulls up really nice and points good for me. I didn't think the balance was off (same with the synthetic CX model), the only thing I don't care for is the camo finish.

If you're looking for a bad weather O/U it would be a great choice IMO or check out the Cynergy CX if you can live with a 60/40 poi.

That’s my problem. I had one and the 60/40 through me off my game quite a bit. I’d be having to relearn point of impact every time I switch from one to the other

2019 Henry H001L
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

People tend to get a bit more cranked up over the theoretical "60/40" than they need to, particularly on the skeet field. Just because it says "60 / 40" on a catalog page hardly means anything.

It is more psychological than anything else. 60 / 40 is only 3 inches @ 40 yards. It affects nothing as far as skeet. Moreover, not many O/U's so much as print within 3 inches out of each barrel at 40 yards. Typical barrel regulation of a double barrel is within 4 in. @ 40 yards. If barrel regulation is within 6 inches or so at 35 - 40 yards, Beretta calls that within tolerance. If they aren't worried about 6 inches, how can 3 inches possibly be important? :shock:

The "60 / 40" O/U is largely a myth. Both barrels on an O/U are not going to shoot precisely 60/40 at 40 yards. More often than not, the upper barrel is going to shoot at least a couple of inches high on the best O/U's out there.