ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 ga Citori Lightning Field -- with Adjustable Comb?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

So far, a few online searches I've done haven't answered this question for me...

Does anyone recall or know if Browning ever made the 20 gauge version of the Lightning Field model (blue, unported, rounded pistol grip, 26" Inv barrels) with an adjustable comb?

I've got one under consideration, while I wait for some better photos, and I'm trying to determine if it's aftermarket or factory original?

I'm also curious whether others would say it adds or detracts from the value (I would think it adds to its flexibility and utility, so therefore adds some value).

Thanks!

Old No7

Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 20 ga Citori Lightning Field -- with Adjustable Comb?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

In my opinion, an adjustable comb is definitely NOT factory. That is a field gun, through and through. An adjustable comb would just not be part of the package.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Vette Jockey, definitely not a factory comb. For me, it detracts from the gun. For you, it may be a plus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys... As you both said about, it's "Definitely not factory" but to me, the adjustable comb helps it fit me better -- and that's a plus when buying a shotgun from several states away.

I got this 26" Invector 20ga Citori Lightning Field to use for upland hunting -- at a very nice price -- and as she already has a few handling marks, I won't get too upset when I beat the bushes with her.

(And that saves the really nice finish on my new CXS 20ga...)

Here she is:

I do need to shorten the extra-thick butt pad some; but I see that eBay is chock full of "Citori" butt plates and I'll just get the one which matches the dimensions of mine the best.

Old No7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats, the gun looks nice. Bear in mind that the original stock and factory butt plate were curved, and that the stock was cut flat for the aftermarket recoil pad. So you probably won't be able to just slap on another Browning butt plate, but will need to have a thinner recoil pad installed in order to reduce the LOP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

lossking wrote:
Bear in mind that the original stock and factory butt plate were curved, and that the stock was cut flat for the aftermarket recoil pad...

Thanks for that input, but there is a curved 1/4" black plate under the add-on (cannot be seen in the pix), so it seems that the stock wasn't cut at all and the prior owner just wanted it to be longer; most likely when the comb was modified.

I'll shoot a few rounds of skeet with it before I do anything.

Happy huntin'.

Old No7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good for you No7. The previous owner made it easy for you to go back to a curved buttplate. I prefer that style for a quick mount on a hunting gun that doesn't kick too hard like my 16ga Citori White Lightning. Your 20ga should be a bird killing machine.