ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CXS 20ga 28" - with Nice Wood
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I hit the "Wood Lottery" on this one...

I went into my now-favorite LGS to shop for a 20 gauge Citori White with 30" barrels, thinking it would make a great companion piece to the 12 ga version of that same model that I have and shoot very well. It turns out the 30" one they had not only didn't point as well for me as the 28" version did, the one with longer tubes had rather "bland" wood on it too.

No, you don't "shoot the wood", but I have to admit I was really drawn to the figure and swirls in the 28" one -- so I brought her home with me. This first image below is a 30" CXS in 20 gauge, as the 28" version would only have 6 open slots between the tubes while the image shows 6.5:

Here's the wood on mine, with the colors of the cell image adjusted so the cardboard backer is a close match to how it looked in that lighting:

FYI, when I first saw "bland" wood on the 30" one mentioned above, it reminded me of the top stock shown in this dual image below. Both of those stocks are from a Winchester (Miroku Japan) 1885 High Wall -- that is they are from THE SAME gun -- but the bottom image shows how it looks after just one wipe of Cabot's "Gunstock" oil stain; which adds just the right amount of "Winchester Red" to a gunstock. I hand-rubbed 8 coats of Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil "Genuine Oil" (satin, low gloss finish) and I was really pleased with the difference before & after:

As I said, the pretty wood won't shoot any better, but the 28" one did point and fit better for me, and she's not bad to look at while I'm waiting for game or the next clay to show up. I am thinking the 28" tubes will work better for me in field too, but overall, the better fit is what sold me on it.

Cheers!

Old No7

Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New CXS 20ga 28" - with Nice Wood
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats on a good score, No.7. Nice wood for sure. Beats the hell out of the wood on my 12ga CXS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Certainly nicer than what came on my 20ga CXS. Have the 30" bbls and they are great for clays but kinda wish i'd gone 28" for field work as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Very nice wood!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You hit the wood lotto :!: :!: :!:

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am 
Tournament Grade

It's kind of funny actually......

I shot the new CXS yesterday on 4 rounds of skeet, and while I was really pleased and impressed with how it fit and shot for me -- all the other guys only wanted to hold, look at and talk about "the wood".

It was 20 Gauge Skeet Night for us, and while I got out-shot by the best shooter, it was great to hold my own with a gun I'd never shot before.

But you can be sure I'll be shooting her again -- and a lot!

Old No7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:09 am 
Limited Edition

Beautiful! Love it.
I didn't know they made the 20ga "white". I was seduced by a 32" 12ga cx with nice wood (not as nice as yours) last year when I should have gone with a 30". Oh well, maybe I'll trade it at some point.