ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 double auto questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

When did Browning begin engraving "Twelvette" on the receiver?

How can a factory installed Cutts be spotted, if there is such a thing?

OK 3 Questions
What is the proper name for the u shaped channel rib?

Post subject: Re: 2 double auto questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:23 pm 
Utility Grade

jaco,

Browning started marking "Twelvette" on guns in 1956 when they introduced the "Twentyweight" so you could tell the two apart. The closest I can narrow down the serial number is some where between 1834X that was on a gun not marked and 1839X that was on a gun marked Twelvette. I'm sure these numbers can very a little depending on where a particular gun was at in the production process when the change was made.

The only information I have on the factory Cutts barrels is that Browning used an Allen head screw instead of a slotted screw (used on after market added Cutts) to hold it in place. I have a Twentyweight gun with a Cutts Compensator barrel that I believe to be factory installed. I bought the gun from an older gentleman about 30 years ago and he stated that he had ordered the gun with the Cutts to shoot skeet with. It does have the allen screw, measures the correct 26 1/2" length, is marked **$ and has a lightweight aluminum Cutts. The rib was cut in an angle to fit flush with the locking ring without a gap. It's the only Cutts barrel I've owned out of many, that I thought the Cutts was factory installed.

Question 3; Browning advertised them as '" Recessed Rib" or "Raised Recess" barrels.

Hope this information helps. DA KING

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm 
Utility Grade

DA KING 1
Thanks for those very complete answers.
I have an newly acquired, aluminum DA 11xxx. 30 inch mod barrel. Not labeled. no Cutts. I guess that makes it a "Lightweight" officially.
Are the specs the same as the Twelvette?

I saw a DA with a Cutts at a gun store. The installation looked very good. I will see if it is still there and check the screw and the recessed rib.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Jaco,

The specs. of your gun are identical to those of the later Twelvette marked guns.

As far as the gun store gun with the cutts, I don't think it matters too much if the cutts was factory installed or after market installed. The fact that it has a cutts really lowers the value of the gun. I've been buying, selling & trading Double Auto's for the last 50 years (yes, I'm older than dirt) and never had much success selling a DA (or any gun) with a cutts or a poly choke on the end of the barrel. All gun stores & dealers are well aware of this and buy them well below market. Just a good negotiating fact to know when buying a gun with a cutts or poly choke barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks again DA King 1
I am not really interested in the Cutts gun other than curiosity about factory installation..
This is one of those strange happenstances.
Several years ago I bought a steel receiver DA to use for sporting clays.
This is a gun I have followed since I first saw them in my youth, but never got close enough to buy one.
After enjoying the steel gun, I configured, in my mind, what I thought would be the perfect Sporting clays gun.
A Twelvette 30 inch (75cm) barrel modified choke.
I have been lazily trying to locate a reasonably priced one.

I walked into a local gunstore last week and lo and behold there it was along with 2 others.
The cutts gun and a black one that has been pretty well messed up. cut stock terribly refinished and some wear.
They all came from a grandson selling his grandfathers guns.
The black one is later production and the barrel wont swap with either gun.

I have been following your post for a while and figured you were in the dirt age range, due to all the good information you are willing to share about these guns.

It seems as though interest in DA has waned recently.

Thanks again for all your posts.