ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20ga Silver Lightning
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up this NIB Silver from gunbroker. It was listed as a Silver Hunter, but I noticed it had the round pistol grip. What arrived is a Silver Lightning 20ga, 26” bbl mfg. in 2008. This is my first 20ga auto, and first gas operated shotgun. It balances nice loaded and swings great out of the box (I’ll hunt down some Gold shims if needed). Fit and finish is excellent, and it is still very easy to take down despite having way more parts than my Benelli. The auto-load is also nice to have in a dove field; I have always liked this feature on my Miroku A5.

Oddly, there was no plug installed, and it was not in the box. I ordered one from MGW.

6lb-6oz empty, 6lb-10oz with (3) 1oz loads and a Briley ext. choke

The trigger feels a little heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I have read about the Silver and Gold guns...I have not put a gauge on it, but it is less than the weight of the gun. The break is crisp with little over-travel.

I’m going to pattern it with a few chokes this week, and carry it on our dove opener next weekend. I have a feeling my other guns are going to see a lot less use...

Last edited by jwood1284 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 20ga Silver Lightning
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Very nice. Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Great find and an awesome looking little semi! I remember when those came out at the ShotShow years ago, never found one up here in Canada until I was travelling and stopped in at a gun store and they had one in the rack. Told them I'd think it over and call when I'm home in a few days. Big mistake, sold right after and I've always regretted not buying it and having them mail it to me. Enjoy that gun, not many of those Lightning 20ga's out there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Me too been looking for one of those

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Range Report:

I like this gun, a lot! It didn’t get a chance to go out and pattern like I had hoped, but still carried on ALs dove opener. I started out with some 1oz #8s (mainly to use up) and IC choke, but found I was downing birds better with 7/8oz #7.5 out of a MOD. It didn’t take long to get my limit they way they were flying. Then last week I took it on a BSA sporting clays fundraiser and shot 70% wit the same choke/load. Shooting clays I realized I need to mount the gun a little higher in my shoulder pocket to get a good bead, so I’ll be ordering some Gold shims for the stock.

The gun performs flawless, and is a very soft shooter with 2-3/4” loads. I’m tempted to take it on a goose hunt this winter to try some 3” bismuth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds great Jwood. It sure is a looker too.