ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double auto twentyweight question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:37 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a twentyweight a few months back and have enjoyed shooting it. I was telling a friend about it and it turns out he owns a double auto. It's a 1963 twentyweight in 80% condition. The question regards the choke markings- they ARE NOT **$ but S** with a - thru the "S" horizontally not vertical. Is this a skeet marking? I hope it is because I may soon own my 2nd DA. Thanks for any and all help! Ken

Post subject: Re: Double auto twentyweight question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

That is a legitimate and rather scarce skeet choke if it came from the factory that way. A picture posted on here would give you some confirmation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

The theory that I have heard is that they had many ** (mod) choked barrels. The ones that started life as open chokes were **- or **$. Some were opened up at the factory or after market. So they put the mark where they have room on the other side $** or -**. Again, this is just a theory. Some you can really tell that the blueing is not right on ones that were marked after the blueing was done. These marking stand out as done after as they are white and lack blueing. Open choke DA barrels are not common.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:53 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the thoughts. Will try to get a picture in a day or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I know this is an old topic, but since Five forks never posted his photo, and I am also curious about this, here is the photo of the choke marking on the 25.5" VR barrel on my 12 gauge double auto. I don't have access to a bore gauge, but my muzzle mikes ~ 0.715 with my digital calipers. Any chance this could be a factory marking for skeet 2 aka light mod? The $ or S with a slash through it doesn't appear to be added on in that the bluing looks undisturbed. The highlights in the photo are from the flash; all the markings are blued.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the same choke marking on my Twentyweight. Although my barrel is marked "Browning Arms Company St Louis Mo." Barrels marked with Fabrique Nationale were evidently made for the European market.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:48 pm 
Utility Grade

climac wrote:
I know this is an old topic, but since Five forks never posted his photo, and I am also curious about this, here is the photo of the choke marking on the 25.5" VR barrel on my 12 gauge double auto. I don't have access to a bore gauge, but my muzzle mikes ~ 0.715 with my digital calipers. Any chance this could be a factory marking for skeet 2 aka light mod? The $ or S with a slash through it doesn't appear to be added on in that the bluing looks undisturbed. The highlights in the photo are from the flash; all the markings are blued.

I've also wondered about the difference in the open choke markings too and whether they signified a difference in factory vs post- factory job. The markings on your barrel are definitely intended as skeet. I have a twentyweight and twelvette marked similary and mike at the muzzle sround 0.72. Yours mike's a little tighter than what is traditionally listed for skeet, but as you said measurement was at the muzzle. I've never bore gauged mine either. Have you put it to the pattern board yet? A great bird barrel either way! Others may disagree, but shooting to me is as much about confidence as equipment. If I *think* I'm using a skeet or IC choke because that's how it's marked...then I am usually a confident shooter regardless of whether it actually measures out as exactly that or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I cheated. Found a used ribbed bbl with bent rib; fixed and cut bbl to add Polychoke...which will handle steel shot...and is shorter bbl which is my preference. This Twentyweight has two bbls and extra forgrip...been using since 50s and it purrs. Shoot birds.

Browning bbls are not easy to shorten...as the inner diameter changes and ID is too wide to install or re-choke, as I was informed.

Poly-thingy from Fondulac, WI, shoots it all and am happy camper...cannot beat these ancient DAs, IMO, is light and fast for birds and clays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm 
Utility Grade

BobBill From what I read here, the collectors view a end of barrel thingy like a turd on a Persian carpet.

Given the "rarity" (high price) of skeet barrels and the aversion to an end of barrel device, is it a workable and economical way to get an open choke on a DA?

There are some that are factory installed.