ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Lower Fire pin, burn through, deteriorated etc
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Buy a Ferrari and feed it 87 octane and complain about the knocking. Make sense to anyone? BTW Browning is not the only mfg that experiences pierced cheap primers. I've heard some Blasers have the same issue. I like my Brownings enough to feed them what they like. Auldthymer, you do you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm 
Limited Edition

twohigh wrote:
Buy a Ferrari and feed it 87 octane and complain about the knocking. Make sense to anyone? BTW Browning is not the only mfg that experiences pierced cheap primers. I've heard some Blasers have the same issue. I like my Brownings enough to feed them what they like. Auldthymer, you do you.

Totally bad analogy. IMO, the Ferrari is behaving as intended when it requires high octane gasoline. And every customer knows what it needs before buying it. Furthermore Ferraris aren’t recommended to unsuspecting noobs as an appropriate basic entry into the market. None of those things are true about the Browning. And finally what folks so often say about shotguns, that they are the cheapest part of the sport, is definitely not true about automobiles, especially Ferraris. If the gun had been labeled, “Requires Soft Primers”, I would have no complaint, but by the same token Browning would not have had my business. They aren’t upfront about it.

You asked whether I like the gun enough to buy good ammo. First I don’t consider hard primer ammo to be bad, just different. Second I like the investment I have in the gun enough to do what I have to protect it. And third, I don’t like having to do it.

We don’t have to agree. I just want you to know that some people don’t appreciate being duped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depending on the outcome of the election, then the shortages and hoarding that we saw previously may be mild in comparison to what we might see. Rifle and handgun ammunition is already scarce. Shot shells may also be in short supply meaning that you might have to shoot what you can get; hard primers and all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

No one is being duped. The Brownings will shoot the ammo with the cheap primers just fine, BUT, you you will likely have to change firing pins. The firing pins are cheap (about the price of a box of ammo or two depending what pins you buy) and easy to replace. Those with any shotgun savvy now knows that you should feed the Brownings decent US made ammo and primers. Those used as hunting guns, the US made hunting ammo mostly use good primers.

Last edited by twohigh on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 pm 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:
Depending on the outcome of the election, then the shortages and hoarding that we saw previously may be mild in comparison to what we might see. Rifle and handgun ammunition is already scarce. Shot shells may also be in short supply meaning that you might have to shoot what you can get; hard primers and all.

That is exactly my point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

One can always reload using Winchester, CCI or Federal primers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Even those are getting hard to find

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm picking up 10,000 Win 209 primers tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:56 am 
Limited Edition

To the OP: does the gun malfunction (misfire lower barrel) once the lower fp becomes eroded?

I have had the same problem with 2 of my 3 citoris. I have since decided to shoot out my supply of cheddite primers and will buy Winchester instead. I'll do the same with my Rio ammo. This will take a while tho. I have new pins to put in but I'm shooting the eroded pins until those primers are gone since the gun is not malfunctioning with them. In my memory last time I changed pins in my CX top and bottom were both eroded/pitted but neither was malfunctioning. My Crossover target was misfiring the lower a few years ago though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:19 am 
Crown Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
seb7515 wrote:
T-Brooks wrote:
Has there been a fix or cure for lower pin on the 725 when using so called HARD PRIMERS shells and have experience primer burn through and then pin deterioration to need to replace pin, 3000 rounds 3 fire pins in 8 month old gun, would adjusting the length of pin past the breech solve the problem?
Is there any permanent fix?? of just be-careful of shells and brands shot out of lower barrel?

What happens at 3000 rounds?

The tips become eroded, or cratered. I've had it happen on two different Brownings. Always the bottom barrel.

Citori firing pins are fickle. One friend is obsessive about pitted pins. Constantly checking and replacing them. Shoots maybe 300-400 rounds a week, year around.

Citori firing pins are stable. Still shooting a 100k round Citori that has pitted pins. Says one of these days he'll replace them. Thinks springs are getting weak. Says one of these days he'll replace them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr Auldthymer- Don't buy a Browning if you don't like the lower firing pin issue. If you do own one then buy the ammo it likes. It's that simple. Respectfully submitted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

browning66 wrote:
Mr Auldthymer- Don't buy a Browning if you don't like the lower firing pin issue. If you do own one then buy the ammo it likes. It's that simple. Respectfully submitted.

Thanks for that. I could never have figured it out for myself. I owe you one.

You do realize that your approach is exactly what flushed half of Detroit down the toilet, right? What a short sighted outlook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

browning66 wrote:

Exactly right!:-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
browning66 wrote:

Exactly right!:-)

You just flushed the other half of Detroit down the tubes, RB. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry?;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
Sorry?;-)

Not necessarily a bad thing, no need to be sorry. :lol: :lol: :lol: