ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxus carbon fiber opinions/help?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

What is everyone's thoughts on the carbon fiber long term? Will it hold up? Will the carbon fiber look be something to laugh at a few years down the road?

What exactly is it? I thought it was Dura touch but on Browning's site, it lists as "no". Sorry if that's a dumb question but just got the bug for clays really bad within the last week and really not knowledgeable on anything shotgun... just know Browning is GTG!

I ask because I pretty much have my first shotgun narrowed down to a Maxus carbon fiber 28" or 30"... leaning towards 30" because it will be for breaking clay 99% of the time and I'm about 6'2" 225! I don't see myself ever hunting so I figure the 30" would be a plus. Carbon fiber is my first choice and the regular sporting is second. I like the carbon fiber from the poor pics I have seen otherwise I like the classic...not into the camo look.

Any help is appreciated.

If anyone has any pics of the carbon and care to share, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Maxus carbon fiber opinions/help?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

I don’t think anyone will laugh, carbon fiber is space age stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fi ... ed_polymer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I have had my "carbon fiber" Maxus for 5 or 6 years. It is not my primary gun as I shoot an O/U for most everything. I use the Maxus for 3-bird events, foul weather, and just plain fun. I lent it to my non-shooting brother for a fund raiser event and he immediately wanted to buy mine. I said no way and pointed him in the right direction and he now has his own. He brought it to my place last weekend and he shot about 90% on trap presentations. I just checked my log and I have 1507 rounds put through it.

As far as I can tell there is no carbon fiber anywhere in a Maxus. I think it is just a paint scheme. I still like it. As my brother said, "It looks so good I'm is going to hang it on the wall and just look at it".

It comes with 5 chokes, 2 spacers to increase LOP and a half dozen shims for adjusting fit. A 28" barrel will put you at about the same place as a 30" O/U and the 30" barrel will get you out to roughly equivalent 32" O/U. I shoot a 32" F3 but I like the 28" Maxus.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
I have had my "carbon fiber" Maxus for 5 or 6 years. It is not my primary gun as I shoot an O/U for most everything. I use the Maxus for 3-bird events, foul weather, and just plain fun. I lent it to my non-shooting brother for a fund raiser event and he immediately wanted to buy mine. I said no way and pointed him in the right direction and he now has his own. He brought it to my place last weekend and he shot about 90% on trap presentations. I just checked my log and I have 1507 rounds put through it.

As far as I can tell there is no carbon fiber anywhere in a Maxus. I think it is just a paint scheme. I still like it. As my brother said, "It looks so good I'm is going to hang it on the wall and just look at it".

It comes with 5 chokes, 2 spacers to increase LOP and a half dozen shims for adjusting fit. A 28" barrel will put you at about the same place as a 30" O/U and the 30" barrel will get you out to roughly equivalent 32" O/U. I shoot a 32" F3 but I like the 28" Maxus.

s/f Steve

Thanks for the info!

I was searching around last night and between what I found and what you said, I'm sold on the carbon fiber!

Now I just still need to figure out if I should do 28" or 30"?
28" seems a safer bet and more universal but I don't have plans to hunt so I feel going longer with be better for the clays? But again, a 28" could be a do it all.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:57 pm 
Crown Grade

I have shot both--prefer the "30.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had mine since 2012, it had the duratouch stock and forend, it deteriorated over the years, and as the result of a class action suit, browning replaced it with the plastic stock carbon fibre scheme, it is just a paint (dipped), whatever finish, it seems to be holding up great, I have the 30 inch barrel, I like it better than the 28 inch. I use the Maxus as my main sporting clays gun. I wipe it down with a damp soapy rag, wipe it off with a damp rag, then a dry rag, (over kill maybe), but it works for me. You will not be disappointed.

Here is the thread on my Maxus recall

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=516402

cdb