ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning GTI 12 ga ported barrel question.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 am 
Utility Grade

I have a GTI that is the "red". It has a bottom ported barrel and a unported barrel on top. Is this the way they all were? I think the red is invector choke.

Post subject: Re: Browning GTI 12 ga ported barrel question.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

My (non-red) Gti has both barrel ported; mine is from ~1994

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

sooner13 wrote:
I have a GTI that is the "red". It has a bottom ported barrel and a unported barrel on top. Is this the way they all were? I think the red is invector choke.

What is the year designator in the serial number? I have several Browning catalogs from that era; maybe I can glean something from them for you.

The first five characters are the build sequence number, the next pair of characters is the year designator and the final three characters are the model designator.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, I need to check on my year of maufacture. It also has invector stamped on the inside reciever. The chokes are extended. I have a Weatherby, and Remington 870. Both chokes screw in. ?????

Ser# 76000PNP13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

sooner13 wrote:
Thanks, I need to check on my year of maufacture. It also has invector stamped on the inside reciever. The chokes are extended. I have a Weatherby, and Remington 870. Both chokes screw in. ?????

Ser# 76000PNP13

That's a 1989 gun, about the first year of manufacture for the GTI. Sadly, my catalog collection doesn't go that far back. So, I can't tell you whether the porting you have is factory correct.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank for looking the date up. I did not know it was that old. I dont think it has the factory chokes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

I suspect with only the bottom barrel ported, that it was an after market job. What does the porting look like?
And red letters were Invector only, not Invector Plus like most of the later Brownings.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I have not mastered the posting of pics. There are 2 rows of ports. 9 on top and 6 centered below them. The reciever has invector stamped on it. All the chokes i own screw in. winchester, mossburg, weatherby, rem choke, and the ones that came with it. :?: :?:
Now the one choke says win, moss, and browning.