ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori CX and 725 Field 28"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hello,
First time posting here. I have been shooting a 30" Citori CX for Trap, Skeet, SC and find it too heavy to carry around for SC and field hunting.

Any owners of 28" 725 Field that could tell me if it is any lighter and how easily can you transition between the two. I plan to keep shooting both guns as the CX is perfect for trap and almost for skeet.

Post subject: Re: Citori CX and 725 Field 28"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Browning specs (from the web) are 7#+ 8 ounces for a 28" 725, while they list the 30" CX at 8#+ 3 ounces -- but I wouldn't doubt it at all if you could find an example of both guns where they actually weighed the same.

-> That is due to differences in the density and weight of the stocks.

To save weight in the field, I'd suggest you consider a 20 gauge.

As for SC...

I'd suggest you use "real weights" often on the days you aren't shooting. Build up your muscle mass (arms, shoulders, back etc.) and you won't notice the slight extra weight of the 30" CX (I carry a 32" no issues...). And it will benefit you in many other ways too. Add some walking or running, or a treadmill or an eliptical, to strengthen your heart and lungs too.

A major side benefit of my recent efforts to get in much better shape is that my rifle, handgun and shotgun shooting have all improved; whether it's easier breathing, more stamina, more muscles -- or most likely ALL -- I am a healthier and much better shooter now for sure.

Old No7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 am 
Utility Grade

Old No7 wrote:
I'd suggest you use "real weights" often on the days you aren't shooting. Build up your muscle mass (arms, shoulders, back etc.) and you won't notice the slight extra weight of the 30" CX (I carry a 32" no issues...). And it will benefit you in many other ways too. Add some walking or running, or a treadmill or an eliptical, to strengthen your heart and lungs too.

A major side benefit of my recent efforts to get in much better shape is that my rifle, handgun and shotgun shooting have all improved; whether it's easier breathing, more stamina, more muscles -- or most likely ALL -- I am a healthier and much better shooter now for sure.

Old No7

At my age that's easier said than done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clay sports-heavy is good

Long walks hunting-not so good.

Have you considered refitting or buying a baby stroller cart for sporting clays? They are just the ticket for carrying your gun(s) and shells. You can go whole hog and drop up to $700 for a tricked out Rugged Gear model or not. About 15 years ago my shooting buddy bought a used baby stroller and refitted it for shooting and probably spent a total of $100 plus his time. I found a retired guy in the Denver area who reconfigured baby strollers for sporting clays as a hobby. I bought one of his for $75. I still use it. He's still doing it but now charges about $100 or so depending on what baby stroller he can find. I've probably sold about 20 of his carts for him by sending friends over to him. Send me a PM if you want his contact info. There are also a lot of pictures on the internet of cart conversions.

For reference-Citori GrandPrix Sporter for sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand 8 plus lbs
Citori XT for trap with aftermarket comb, recoil device, adj buttpad 9 lbs
Win 101 maple 28" for pheasant hunting-7 lbs Fair weather
Maxus 28" for pheasant hunting-7 lbs Fowl weather

Good luck
Tom