ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Superposed chokes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:29 am 
Field Grade

Fellows, I’m recently bought a 1964 vintage Lightning Super 12 ga. Field grade with 26” M&F chokes, but after shooting it at clays, I realized it is terribly overchoked and is obviously blowing patterns due to the tight chokes and .723-.724 bore diameters. My question is, has anyone removed choke in one of these guns to even the patterns and if so, how much? I still want M& F patterns when I get through. Thanks, Sandlapper I forgot to mention that current choke constriction is .025 & .036

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed chokes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:09 pm 
Limited Edition

25 and 35 are actual M/F choke i would leave it alone and ether try different shell brands or if you reload try a different combo. Have you put it on paper to see what it is really doing and if you don't like the patterns send it to a good barrel smith like Mike Orlens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

A friend turned me on to spreader loads a year or so ago and I’ve found them to expand the possibilities with my fixed choke Supers and Auto 5’s.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you need to put it on paper with several different types of shells to see what it is doing. Those sound like reasonable constrictions to me. The bore diameters sound right. I do not see any thing from the dimensions listed that would make it shoot poorly. Check the forcing cones. Are they damaged in any way? I bought a used Superposed that had a forcing cone torn up probably from shnoting rusty steel shot.

Mike Orlen did the work I had done on my Superposed. But...you got know what you want him to do.

A .723 bore will shoot fine.