ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Pictures-Discussion - Engraved Superposed & Other Brownings
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dear Fellow Browning Lovers:

Lately some of you have posted pictures of the engraving of your Superposed shotguns, especially Fugotti, who has shared some beautiful pictures. This inspired me to post a new thread or topic.

I love seeing quality pictures of Browning shotguns and the works of art created by "The Engravers" at Liege and other quality engravers. I spend hours combing the Internet looking for engravings on Browning guns by Funken, Vrancken, Magis, Greco, Bee, Baerten, Dewil, and the others. I thought it would be cool to have a place where we can all go to see pictures of engraved Brownings, and hear about the famous engravers in Belgium that created these works of art for Browning.

Post your pictures. Tell us who your favorite Browning/FN engraver is and why. If you have a Superposed or other Browning gun with engraving by your favorite Engraver, tell us the story how you acquired it. If you don't own one, but have a good story, some photos, or just love to talk about the Engravers and Superposed guns, please share.

I will get it started . . .

Of the engraved Superposed guns, the various pre-1960 "grades" are wonderful. Post 1970s work in several patterns by Baerten, Perfido, Greco, Lallemand and others . . . Pre 60s engraving by Funken, Watrin, and Vrancken . . . wow!

But of all the Browning Superposed engraving patterns, I like the production high-grade patterns (Midas, Diana, Pointer, and Pigeon) produced from about 1960 thru 1967 (when, unfortunately, the Pointer pattern was dropped, and available after that time only as a custom order) the best. Of the production hi-grades of that time period, my favorite is the Diana Grade, followed closely by the Pointer Grade, then the Midas.

This story is about a Diana Grade. As you know, each Diana Grade piece is a work of art, each distinctive from the other. I searched years for a Diana that just reached out and grabbed me. Although I saw stunning Diana Grade works of art by many of the Master Engravers, it was this Diana engraved by Angelo Bee that caught my eye . . . here it is.

Notice the detail and intricacy of Mr. Bee's work . . . the blades of grass, the feathers of the pheasants and ducks, the leaves of the trees, the tucked-in feet on the ducks, the scrollwork, the detail on the long tang and trigger guard, the feather on the grouse on the bottom of the receiver, and so on. The shadowing used by Mr. Bee makes his game scenes come alive. No wonder Mr. Bee is a favorite of many. Take a look:

Ok. Now it is your turn. Tell us about your favorite engraver. Share a story. Post some pictures.

Let's make this thread a place where we can all go to to see pictures of beautiful engraving on Browning guns by the Master Engravers!

Thanks!!

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

Last edited by crazyforbrownings on Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed - The Engravers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For my 50th Birthday I got a Superposed from the Custom Shop in Belgium. I wanted a 12 gauge. I wanted American Black Walnut. 30 inch barrels with thin vent rib. IC/IM. I wanted Mallards on it. But I wanted a more modern life like looking Mallard. I did not get to pick my Engraver but I got Claudia Perfido. Claudia is a Master Engraver. The secret to modern engraving is the shading. Shading makes the Mallards jump off the Gun. I wont be 50 for almost another Year. Good I get to enjoy my Gun a little longer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is one beautiful gun, Rob! Congratulations!!

I have been looking at pictures of Perfido's work, and I like it very much. The detail in the wings and feathers is amazing. Her portrayal of that one duck coming in for a landing is great!

Thanks for sharing!

Keep 'em coming guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just bumping this hoping for some responses and pictures. Please share!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Enjoy

Nelly Watrin

Louis Vrancken
[IMGImage

Lilly Lambert

Jean Marie Debrus

F. Marechal

Claude Baerten

Charles Legiers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fugotti:

Thanks for posting those pics! Great samples of the various engravers.

Each Pointer and each Diana piece is so individual and different from the others. It is hard to pick a favorite! Although I think the Vrancken sample you posted is my favorite among the Pointers. I can't pick a favorite among the Diana's, each has its merits.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bumping.

Tell us which engraver you like and why, and post some pics!

Last edited by crazyforbrownings on Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here are some photos of engraving by Spiegel on a superposed I own.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MJ:

That is one beautiful Diana!

The detail and shading in Spiegel's work is fantastic. Congrats!

CFB

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20ga superlite that I would like to show.However, I've spent 2 hrs. trying to upload photos. Too old and thick headed I guess.Did get them uploaded to the web, but thats where it ended. Will have to wait for my grandson to visit.And yes, I tried to do it as spelled out on SW "how to".
UPDATE Two hours later: got some in the SW "gallery" now what?
Also uploaded to Picasa Web but don't know how to move any to this forum.

Finally got some pics on (thank you granddaughter)

SEE BELOW

Last edited by jsteed on Sat May 05, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Delete

Last edited by jsteed on Sat May 05, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Engraver: A.Briganti, Herstal Belguim. Hope some others enjoy the simplicity.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Very nice. I do like the simplicity.

Is that a custom engraving? I don't recognize it as a Browning design. Tell us the story.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for your comment. The story, as near as I know started with the Browning historian in Utah. It was somewhat of an educated guess on his part other than he was able to I.D. the gun by s/n but couldn't name the original owner other than it was probably ordered in the "plain" and then taken to a private source for the custom engraving.Also that quite possibly it was built for the European market and at some point in time it made it's way to the U.S. After I bought the gun I took it to a local that is an excellent engraver to see if he could I.D. the engraver ( David Riccardo http://www.riccardoengraving.com ) he wasn't able to but made contact with an acquaintance in N.Y. and that person via other sources found that "A.Briganti" is a lady now retired and still living in Herstal. If I could contact her it would be interesting to send pics and learn more if possible.In the meantime, I'm sort of claiming to have a one of one !! A. Briganti was never named as an employee of Browning and probably did contract work on her own or through an independent shop in Herstal.
P.S. The Browning is a Superlight 20ga IM/Mod 98% original.

Last edited by jsteed on Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1 of 1 is a good thing!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jsteed Here is another superposed superlight with simple engraving.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BROWNI ... =100141057

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Rob, Thanks, I love 'em all !!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

Rob, I love the tight little pistol grip on your Custom Shop gun. Did you order that special or did it just come out that way?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lowgun wrote:
Rob, I love the tight little pistol grip on your Custom Shop gun. Did you order that special or did it just come out that way?

Thanks, I ordered Prince of Wales and thats the way it came. I really Like how that gun handles. Shot an 84 on Sporting clays with it last Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I posted this on another thread, but thought I would do it here too, since it is relevant to the topic of Browning Engravers . . .

The gun is a Superposed Superlight, made in Belgium in 1994 by Browning for Orvis.

Here are some pictures of engraving by Browning Master Engraver, Pierre Lallemand:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next