ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting trap w Cynergy CX
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 am 
Tournament Grade

I just started to shoot trap with my Cynergy CX. It handles pretty well. In the past, I primarily shot skeet (about 22-23 each game). I’ve been able to shoot about 10 rounds in the 18-21 range. Of course, now I want to shoot better. Would adding a rib help?

Post subject: Re: Shooting trap w Cynergy CX
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am 
Limited Edition

I would recommend taking your time and do a lot more trap shooting before looking at the gun at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wowzer wrote:
I just started to shoot trap with my Cynergy CX. It handles pretty well. In the past, I primarily shot skeet (about 22-23 each game). I’ve been able to shoot about 10 rounds in the 18-21 range. Of course, now I want to shoot better. Would adding a rib help?

No but adding an adjustable comb would.
I know several people who have broken into Trap with those Cynergy CX's
and they are doing very well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:
No but adding an adjustable comb would.
I know several people who have broken into Trap with those Cynergy CX's
and they are doing very well.

If I get an adjustable comb, would that mean I would be higher up on the gun? As it stands right now, when I mount the gun, I am looking down the barrel and see the figure 8 (or snowman) of the mid to front bead. Should I see more separation between the beads (ie have the gun shoot higher)?

I dont think I need a cast on this gun...in fact, the main reason I bought it was because it seemed to fit me best. My question about the adjustable rib was if I needed to point the front higher for trap?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wowzer wrote:
If I get an adjustable comb, would that mean I would be higher up on the gun? As it stands right now, when I mount the gun, I am looking down the barrel and see the figure 8 (or snowman) of the mid to front bead. Should I see more separation between the beads (ie have the gun shoot higher)?

Check the current POA/POI via a pattern board and go from there-any thing else is just a guess.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 am 
Field Grade

Certainly need to pattern it. Two years ago I’d never have seen a need for an adjustable comb on a shotgun but after shooting at a pattern board I’m finding that as the best way to adjust poi.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

loneranger wrote:
Certainly need to pattern it. Two years ago I’d never have seen a need for an adjustable comb on a shotgun but after shooting at a pattern board I’m finding that as the best way to adjust poi.

I just got new chokes for my gun. I wonder if it will pattern the same as my older chokes. Thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

This weekend, only 18, 18, 18. It was very gusty; sometimes the bird went low, then other times it flew sky high. Very fun!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wowzer wrote:
This weekend, only 18, 18, 18. It was very gusty; sometimes the bird went low, then other times it flew sky high. Very fun!

We call that poor man's Wobble.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like my adjustable comb. I set it higher for trap, lower for 5 stand and sporting clays. I do have a little offset in it also. But...before you do anything pattern the gun to see where it is shooting now. Then play with some tape and cardboard to see if a higher comb would help. Then send it in if needed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm just stuck at 18-19. Today, I shot 18-18-19. Funny thing is that the puller said that I shot good. The other guys were all shooting 11's and 12's. I think those guys were just newbs.

The weird thing is that I sometimes will miss the easy shots, directly away from me. I can't determine if I'm shooting those too high, low, left, or right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:04 pm 
Limited Edition

It’s not the gun!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:17 am 
Field Grade

You'll see plateaus, but just stick with it, and take a lesson, if you can. I've fallen into some bad habits that helped jump a couple of clays very quickly, but are ultimately going to hurt me, so I'm going through a process of relearning before they become ingrained.

Even if you can't take a lesson, have a buddy watch your shots. It's usually pretty easy for an onlooker up near the line to see the wads, which can often indicate where you missed.

If you're like me, you may have a tendency to try to aim like you're using a rifle. I can tell I'm doing that when one of two things happens:

1. I find myself yanking the barrel at the end of the shot to try to push or pull it back on target (feels like I'm doing a little loop with the barrel end)
2. I miss the straight-dead easy slow ones (because I have time to think about it) but hit the fast-moving wingers (because I just have time to react and can't overthink) -- I've heard this can be an issue for some skeet shooters who try trap and think "Wow--I have so much more time and only one target! I an really take my time and--oh. I guess I missed." No idea if that's true, since I'm about to make the jump the other way and try skeet (probably with a Cynergy CX with an adjustable comb, actually!).

FWIW, my current trap gun is an old "high shooter" BT-99 with an 80/20 POI (fixed full chokes), so the 60/40 POI on that CX of yours isn't abnormally high for trap, at least, since the birds are always rising. With my gun, I just got used to being able to see the target clearly when I squeeze. I love it. Some people hate it (which is why Browning only made the high shooters for 2 years).

But if it helps you feel better about your shooting, when I bought my MEC Jr. reloading press (used), there was an old card from the 70s in there that said something like "The average hunter shoots an 11 to 13 on the trap field. Can you do better?" If you could, you sent in a signed card and they sent you back a hat. So you just started and you're already better than most shotgunners.

And remember--this is SO MUCH BETTER than golf, because you can still hit more than you miss even when you're new! Plus, guns, and exploding targets, and doing the cool pose with the shotgun broken over your shoulder like you're some kind of British gentry!

Wowzer wrote:
I'm just stuck at 18-19. Today, I shot 18-18-19. Funny thing is that the puller said that I shot good. The other guys were all shooting 11's and 12's. I think those guys were just newbs.

The weird thing is that I sometimes will miss the easy shots, directly away from me. I can't determine if I'm shooting those too high, low, left, or right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

I shot 17 then 19 on my first 2 games.

I then tried to shoot with my remington V3 and completely missed on the first 2 stations (I quickly switched back to the Cynergy CX on the remaining 3 stations and shot 13).

I still seem to miss the straight aways. On the 17 score, I missed 4 straight aways. How in the world do I miss such an easy shot? I tried to shoot high, then low, and still can't seem to hit them reliably. Is there a way to practice these straight aways?