ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shooting trap w Cynergy CX
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I have difficulty hitting with a new shotgun I ask to have a trap locked down to only throw straight-aways from post 3. I then try different things till I'm smoking the targets. It gives you an idea where you need hold in relation to the target (cover it, shoot just under...).
Once you have that figured out you are on your way. You can do the pattern board thing, but I find it works better if you are shooting at a moving target instead of static...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:53 am 
Limited Edition

Wowzer,

Agree with last post’s suggestion to try and practice on station 3. Some clubs will fix machine for a specific target if requested.

Do you feel like you’re getting beat by the targets on station 3? If so, changes to hold and look points may help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm 
Field Grade

A relatively flat shooting gun (snowman beads typical 60/40 pattern) often needs to be raised high enough to hide the clay behind the barrel on straight aways . . in order to get enough lead. This can cause shooters to lift their head off the stock to see the break. Unfortunately, lifting the head off the stock on straight aways often results in a miss over the top. Something to consciously think about next time you shoot.
Edit: Agree with Skeet69 on page 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can find a lot of free video tips on Youtube. If not a paid coach, find a good trap shooter to watch you and make sure you have good foot position on each station, good gun hold points, good eye focus zones, good shooting posture, etc. All of these are not black and white but can make a big difference.

It's funny but just today while driving back from the gun club my wife and I were talking about why she is recently having trouble with straight-aways. She was shooting trap and I had shot 5-stand and skeet. I have certainly missed more than my share of straight-aways, some that cost me 25s. Like advised above, get them to lock a trap house down so you can practice with all straight-aways. Buy some AA tracker shells so that a spotter behind you can help see where you're missing.

Good luck,
Tom